Rick Gosselin Article In DMN

Eagle-96

Any article that says we should hire another Todd Dodge is flawed. 

We need to hire someone who knows how to build a winning FBS college football program. 

And he completely missed step 3. The most important step, in my opinion: Fire Rick Villarreal. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20151028-gosselin-what-unt-needs-to-revive-its-winless-football-program.ece

"North Texas has the facilities to compete at the Conference USA level. McCarney proved that in 2013. The stadium is a crown jewel -- but North Texas has no chance of ever filling it until the Mean Green can find a quarterback who can fill the air with footballs. That's Step 2.

Step 1 is finding a coach with an offense that can attract that quarterback.

And Villarreal needs to find that coach soon to give him the time to recruit the state and find the arm he needs to win.

Right now, February is what matters to North Texas. Not November."

You know, i don't disagree with anything in this article. Including the part about Todd Dodge.

• Upvote 2

Very good article with a lot of insight. 

If Dodge had hired two seasoned college coordinators and treated his own hire as a challenge instead of a conquest, he might still be at North Texas winning football games.

Both of those things could have made a huge difference in the last decade of NT football.  

• Upvote 3

--insert 5 paragraph personal diatribe as to why using inferences of homosexuality as an insult is bigoted and bad for society--

Homosexuality is fine, you two continuing to live a lie is not.  It's just like Moonlighting, you can only keep dragging us along with half-assed reasons not to become a couple for so long.

ETA: Also your belief in in a rigid binary sexuality structure is kinda triggering.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 4

--insert 5 paragraph personal diatribe as to why using inferences of homosexuality as an insult is bigoted and bad for society--

Homosexuality is fine, you two continuing to live a lie is not.  It's just like Moonlighting, you can only keep dragging us along with half-assed reasons not to become a couple for so long.

ETA: Also your belief in in a rigid binary sexuality structure is kinda triggering.  

You two should get a cage in the eagles nest.

• Upvote 1

You two should get a cage in the eagles nest.

I already asked but CBL said he is a Horseshoe Crabkin and his support group would pillory him for dating a non crustacean.  

ETA:  Before anyone asks I identify sexually as an Apache Attack Helicopter.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 4

Its almost as if Gosselin got that entire premise of the article from gmg.com. But he is dead-on about all of this points here. Running an archaic offense was a killer for Mac, even with experienced FBS coaches. Running a program with very little experience as college coaches was the killer for Dodge. Paying coaches next to nothing with poor facilities and having a coach who was PR deaf in Darrell Dickey was his killer.

All three hit on the failings of the man who hired or extended them, who happens to be the same man who fired all of them when the losses mounted up to a mountain-like level.

Combine Mac's initial enthusiasm, Dodge's offensive recruiting and QB development, and Dickey's ability to get a hard-nosed defense with the new facilities and conference affiliation and you could have someone special here. But that's hard to find, obviously...and the guy doing the choosing has completely shown that he cannot do it, which is perfect, since this is North Texas and he will get to make yet another hire to add to his record. Just awesome...

• Upvote 2

it's my escapism

People need escapism.  Now that sports is dead escapism is the only immortality project going.  If someone chooses to penalty-kill at work by finding fun-in-fault of particularly loquacious or blustery posters, or making a fart joke or any damn thing they want to do, it's no reason for you to judge them on it.  At least not until you are a wholly-topic-oriented aesthetic writing every post to the subject.  You have no idea what people do with the rest of their...I don't know...internet? 

• Upvote 2

it's my escapism
People need escapism.  Now that sports is dead escapism is the only immortality project going.  If someone chooses to penalty-kill at work by finding fun-in-fault of particularly loquacious or blustery posters, or making a fart joke or any damn thing they want to do, it's no reason for you to judge them on it.  At least not until you are a wholly-topic-oriented aesthetic writing every post to the subject.  You have no idea what people do with the rest of their...I don't know...internet? 

EAkxyNx.gif