Attendance

meangreenacct

There is no way that many people were there.  Even club attendance was way down. I think they used the SMU method of counting every season ticket holder whether they were there or not.

I agree. That was a generous count. I'd say maybe 6k, tops. This can be directly attributed to an ego and an idiot  

• Upvote 1

Well, duh.  I didn't say crappy football had nothing to do with it.  As a matter of fact, it has a lot to do with it.  But regardless of cause, the fact of the matter is, our fanbase sucks beyond suckiness.

Actually, what I think this says more than anything is that our fanbase is small. A Thursday night game is a tougher ask anyway. Add to that, it wasn't the 1st game, nor homecoming, nor parents weekend, and we just got humiliated and this is what you get. It shouldn't be surprising at all.  About 1/2 the fan base showed up.

The reason our fanbase is so small is the real problem here. Whose job is that?

• Upvote 1

When I was in school during part of the Dodge years the attendance never got this low. I wonder why the attendance is dreadful this year compared to the Dodge years when the Dodge years were just as bad. 

Dodge teams could at least score.

• Upvote 1

It's ridiculous that we have all the early games during the scorching heat of September, and then a night game on October 31st, ensuring that people with kids won't come and students won't come. I'd be surprised if there's 5k people at that game.

Yeah, the Halloween night game stinks for sure for those of us with kids. I made Rice a couple of years ago, but was glad to see a bye week last year. 

I didn't think there were more than 4,500 at the game last night.  I hope we can hit 5 digits on Halloween.  

I thought we would be lucky to hit 5,000. The student section was very light early but slowly started to fill in. I think it might of been around your 4,500 maybe 3,500. Either way it was sad. This AD is so TV hungry its ridiculous. You take all the DFW ticket holders/Fans that might attend a home game and throw them out the window because there is no way in hell they can get off at 5 and get to the stadium by 6:30 with 35 being torn all to shit. Then you take out the students that might attend the game but have a night class. Then you take into consideration that we are 0-5 which makes matters worse. Getting your ass kicked on national TV only makes you look worse than a win less season

I think most of you guys' estimations came either before the game started or shortly after.   If your estimation of the crowd size was still "500" or "5000" during halftime then your estimation skills are not very good.    10k sounds about right, and I don't think there was any kind of shady ticket counting.  The stadium was about 1/3 full when I was looking around during the 2nd quarter.   That's still extremely low.

• Upvote 3

I think most of you guys' estimations came either before the game started or shortly after.   If your estimation of the crowd size was still "500" or "5000" during halftime then your estimation skills are not very good.    10k sounds about right, and I don't think there was any kind of shady ticket counting.  The stadium was about 1/3 full when I was looking around during the 2nd quarter.   That's still extremely low.

JPbCHvo.jpg

This is the student side at it's most used point.  No way that is 1/3 full.  The wingzone has about 50 people sitting in it, the alumni side is a little fuller than than the student side.

Even the club level was largely empty.

• Upvote 1

JPbCHvo.jpg

This is the student side at it's most used point.  No way that is 1/3 full.  The wingzone has about 50 people sitting in it, the alumni side is a little fuller than than the student side.

Im going to  start counting heads and let you guys know in a couple of hours

• Upvote 4

JPbCHvo.jpg

That looks like 1/3 of the East side to me.  I dunno, maybe 1/4.  There are 10 sections over there (counting top & bottom) and I would say 4 of them (because the band counts) are pretty full.   
By late 2nd quarter the West side was much more populated than that.

• Upvote 1

JPbCHvo.jpg

Thank God, WKU brought their usual huge allotment of fans to Denton...with the best team they have fielded since being back at FBS.

I get that none of the Eastern SBCUSA teams bring anyone here nor move the needle with Metroplex fans, but its also why playing FCS teams in Denton as an OOC game is just so amazingly stupid for this program right now. When you know that one of your conference home games every year will come from Murderers Row of the F_Us, MUTS, WKU, ODU, Charlotte, or Marshall, it'd seem smart to play an OOC game at home that might actually--oh I don't know--help bring in some college football fans to the stadium because they have heard of the team coming to play here and actually help the budget in many ways. This is why a series against a team like Texas State, who would bring people here from their school and get more of our own fans there because they know friends and family that are students and alumni of TSU, just makes too much sense and will never occur, obviously. But the FCS scheduling is just too stupid for a school like ours right now. You either kill them, like we did Nicholls State last year, which doesn't bring in any extra fans to the stadium and doesn't help your team one iota as they move forward on their schedule, or you get last Saturday, albeit not as epically failed as we did in showing our ass to the world, where a loss just perpetuates the fact that we are a terrible program, yet brings in no new fans, but rather probably caused fans to just quit following the program, whether temporarily or permanently.

So last night, when you get between 4k and 10k at a home game, depending on who you are reading on gmg.com, at a stadium that is beautiful and seats 30k, for Western Kentucky on a Thursday night, you could have at least helped the entire program by having had at least one OOC game at home earlier in the season that made up for this difference. Instead, you get FCS Portland State on Homecoming in front of a disappointing crowd by even our standards for that weekend and then follow it up five days later with a school that is really good, but nobody cares enough about in this area to drive up and watch them play us, nor are they close enough to bring any semblance of a decent following to the game. And you can't blame it on Thursday night entirely, because history shows they bring no one over 50 to a game here even if its on a Saturday afternoon or evening.

Thank God, WKU brought their usual huge allotment of fans to Denton...with the best team they have fielded since being back at FBS.

I get that none of the Eastern SBCUSA teams bring anyone here nor move the needle with Metroplex fans, but its also why playing FCS teams in Denton as an OOC game is just so amazingly stupid for this program right now. When you know that one of your conference home games every year will come from Murderers Row of the F_Us, MUTS, WKU, ODU, Charlotte, or Marshall, it'd seem smart to play an OOC game at home that might actually--oh I don't know--help bring in some college football fans to the stadium because they have heard of the team coming to play here and actually help the budget in many ways. This is why a series against a team like Texas State, who would bring people here from their school and get more of our own fans there because they know friends and family that are students and alumni of TSU, just makes too much sense and will never occur, obviously. But the FCS scheduling is just too stupid for a school like ours right now. You either kill them, like we did Nicholls State last year, which doesn't bring in any extra fans to the stadium and doesn't help your team one iota as they move forward on their schedule, or you get last Saturday, albeit not as epically failed as we did in showing our ass to the world, where a loss just perpetuates the fact that we are a terrible program, yet brings in no new fans, but rather probably caused fans to just quit following the program, whether temporarily or permanently.

So last night, when you get between 4k and 10k at a home game, depending on who you are reading on gmg.com, at a stadium that is beautiful and seats 30k, for Western Kentucky on a Thursday night, you could have at least helped the entire program by having had at least one OOC game at home earlier in the season that made up for this difference. Instead, you get FCS Portland State on Homecoming in front of a disappointing crowd by even our standards for that weekend and then follow it up five days later with a school that is really good, but nobody cares enough about in this area to drive up and watch them play us, nor are they close enough to bring any semblance of a decent following to the game. And you can't blame it on Thursday night entirely, because history shows they bring no one over 50 to a game here even if its on a Saturday afternoon or evening.

I think the team's performance last Saturday had much more to do with the small crowd than anything else (OOC schedule, WKU bringing a few fans, Thursday night,etc...)  At least, that's what I gathered by reading this thread.

• Upvote 1

I think the team's performance last Saturday had much more to do with the small crowd than anything else (OOC schedule, WKU bringing a few fans, Thursday night,etc...)  At least, that's what I gathered by reading this thread.

No question about this...from the normal UNT diehard fanbase.

Its the extra dollars you get from attendance from the visiting teams' fans, as well as casual UNT fans or college football fans that would help the bottom line for us that adds to the problems we have here. It'd be nice to show recruits and potential coaching candidates that we get decent support of at least 2/3rd of the stadium's capacity for a season. We can't even say that in our best years. That's why scheduling does matter here. And I don't even mean P5 schools, either, or higher profile G5 schools. Get a close SBC school, or an AAC school, or MWC school here. Texas State would bring people here to help cover the low expected turnout for the WKUs of the conference. Tulane would bring in more fans for an OOC game than Nicholls State, so when F_U comes here, you made a few more dollars for the AD. And a school like New Mexico or Colorado State would bring in more fans than Portland State, obviously, so when MUTS comes to town, you've made up for it by the extra fans that will be here for a better OOC opponent to compliment SMU or Army.

But, really, its probably just too late. Having Liberty, ACU, Incarnate Word, and Lamar on your future OOC schedule isn't getting changed, so when we get Charlotte or ODU here in the future years, its going to look like last night's game did--unless we are winning, which doesn't look like it will be for a while until the next coach gets his players here to run his system, offensively speaking, which will probably take multiple years to get in place based off the current roster and the style of play that they were recruited to play. Hell, last night alone, Damarcus Smith threw several passes that our receivers couldn't even handle, since they weren't used to an actual FBS throwing QB making sharp, crisp throws , as well as playing in an offense that actually throws the ball downfield more than once during a set of downs. Its going to take a while to rebuild this roster, both from a scheme and talent standpoint, but even more so from a psychological standpoint, since the team has been beaten down by losing and quitting.

That looks like 1/3 of the East side to me.  I dunno, maybe 1/4.  There are 10 sections over there (counting top & bottom) and I would say 4 of them (because the band counts) are pretty full.   By late 2nd quarter the West side was much more populated than that.

The students in the left and right sections of the picture seemed pretty spaced out to me.  I think both of those may have been about half full if you got them all to sit side by side.  The end zone was pretty much empty, and I had a buddy watching the game on tv that counted 8 people in the wing when they showed it in the first quarter.  Even if we had the 10,000 they claim we did, that is a pitiful number.  We need a hire that'll energize this team and fan base.  

After reading the excellent comments by the posters in this thread, I would like to add my thoughts.

It seems to me that if you know the athletics program makes its gravy from the major revenue sports (football and basketball), and if your management can't put a product on the field or court that fans want to buy, then you can't bitch when the consumers shun your product.

Loyalty to my Alma Mater and fandom only go so far. I ain't no martyr.

• Upvote 4