Is Mc Nulty the ENTIRE Problem?

DallasGreen

For all the whinning about the QB play against SMU. I also feel the lack of defense and the "give up" attitude shown in the 4th quarter had a lot to do with an embarrassing game outcome before one of the best away crowds ever. I know I will be criticised that the defense was on the field too long, but that is going to happen against any hurry up offense. The SMU QB was very agile as will be the Rice QB. Will the defense again check it in? Just maybe they can get in shape to play an entire game and compete in the 4th quarter unlike the no show against SMU at the end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 18

For all the whinning about the QB play against SMU. I also feel the lack of defense and the "give up" attitude shown in the 4th quarter had a lot to do with an embarrassing game outcome before one of the best away crowds ever. I know I will be criticised that the defense was on the field too long, but that is going to happen against any hurry up offense. The SMU QB was very agile as will be the Rice QB. Will the defense again check it in? Just maybe they can get in shape to play an entire game and compete in the 4th quarter unlike the no show against SMU at the end. 

Davis making multiple plays out of nothing was the only reason SMU started pulling away.  Something I believe Jackson can also do, so the defense needs to be ready for this.   Cosh put his guys in great positions all night long and it showed early on, but when Davis took off, and it was athlete VS athlete in open field, he won every time.

• Upvote 4

Of course the entire problem isn't McNulty. It would be silly to think that's the only problem. The obvious connection is that it permeates through the coaching staff, recruiting and evaluation of players. It comes from a mentality that wants to minimize risk instead of maximize success. You never win a game playing not to lose. Ask the New York Football Giants. Coughlin is a great NFL representative of Mac. The defense spent a tremendous amount of time on the field. Our "uptempo" shit show only made our 3 and outs faster. That's going to wear real quick, especially if some of those guys are on special teams as well. We have a lot of problems, the biggest symptom is the QB struggle, but that's not the source. The reason the QB situation is so heavily hashed out here is because people see a potentially better option in the wings. At this point we know exactly what McNulty's ceiling is for division I football, and most of us want no part of that ceiling. You'll hit your heard.

• Upvote 6

Defense looked awful in the fourth. But they knew there was no chance of winning. Kinda reminiscent of UT last year.

I think we had a good defense last year, and we do this year. When you have no offensive output, well...

I think it reminded me even more of the La Tech game than the Texas game. Although the defense's bad quarter against La Tech was in the third, not the fourth. We, including myself, we're all thinking "okay, Dajon is in now so he'll put up points and take pressure off the defense." Then our defense got torched by both Indiana and UAB, after the Nicholls State game, of course.

Defense did play pretty well overall but they showed some susceptibilities.

• Upvote 2

Davis making multiple plays out of nothing was the only reason SMU started pulling away.  Something I believe Jackson can also do, so the defense needs to be ready for this.   Cosh put his guys in great positions all night long and it showed early on, but when Davis took off, and it was athlete VS athlete in open field, he won every time.

So they used their good athletes correctly? Interesting, we have a recruit of similar ability sitting at 3rd string in our depth chart. WEIRD

• Upvote 4

In football it has always been clear without crazy depth, Defense can only be on the field so long. Our Defense did well even when put in a bad position. Offense is the problem and it is the entire offense, with the weakest link appearing to be the QB. Our QB against SMU did not seem to be able to throw a clean pass more than 7-10 yards. Any thing over 10 yards and he might as well been throwing a the side of a barn and missing it as bad as the passes were. That will kill us every defense we come across will cheat up and load the box, and more than likely bring blitz after blitz, unless we prove we can burn them. I don't think our opponents have much to worry about. 

It looks like we need to ask special teams and the defense to do all the scoring for us. 

Fire Canales.

Edited by KingDL1

So they used their good athletes correctly? Interesting, we have a recruit of similar ability sitting at 3rd string in our depth chart. WEIRD

Is Smith an improvising runner?   From the few tapes I saw on him at Butler, he looked like more of a passer.  Now, I did see him roll out a bunch and keep his head downfield, but I didn't see alot of him taking off.

• Upvote 1

I've been driving my car around on a flat tire for a couple months.  Sure I outta change it but I think it's kinda unfair to blame the poor ride quality all on the flat when my air and fuel filters are kinda dirty as well. 

You wouldn't be experiencing a poor ride if you'd stop putting your foot on the gas.

FIRE THE GAS PEDAL!!

• Upvote 5

Defense balled.  They got tired at the end.  I think a quicker DL like Syd Moore could have helped at the end, but he didn't play...

It's not entirely the QB.  The talent at RB is also a problem.  Those first few series with tucker were....whew...he wasn't ready.  He got better as the game went on but...

There's been teams that won with stud RB'S and bad QBs...there's been teams where the QB carry the offense...If we are going to miss on QB, we have to have a STUD RB.  We cannot miss on both positions.  Gotta have at least one.

Defense balled.  They got tired at the end.  I think a quicker DL like Syd Moore could have helped at the end, but he didn't play...

It's not entirely the QB.  The talent at RB is also a problem.  Those first few series with tucker were....whew...he wasn't ready.  He got better as the game went on but...

There's been teams that won with stud RB'S and bad QBs...there's been teams where the QB carry the offense...If we are going to miss on QB, we have to have a STUD RB.  We cannot miss on both positions.  Gotta have at least one.

I think we do, but he's hurt ATM.

Is Smith an improvising runner?   From the few tapes I saw on him at Butler, he looked like more of a passer.  Now, I did see him roll out a bunch and keep his head downfield, but I didn't see alot of him taking off.

Not necessarily I saw the same thing you did in his film.  But, they allow their stud to make plays, we allow ours to "learn the offense/punish him because he wasnt here in the spring". Sad day. 

Now that I have instructions on how to post a meme, how do I find a meme to post?

And, And, And Mr. Cerebus sir, how do you compress a picture so that it can be posted?

Not stage name, David

Cerebus is more of a gif poster than a meme poster.

Gifs are animated. Like this:

200.gif

Where as memes are typically still pictures with words.  Like this:

WP1XZx1.jpg

• Upvote 2

He might not be THE problem. But he is a problem.  I think there is plenty of blame to go around from those actually out on the field to those with the cool little headsets on. 

Here's my list of blame for THE problem--going backward

McNulty stays as QB because he has the full faith and confidence of his dad's best friend from Iowa and because there's absolutely nothing that will be done to the stubborn head coach<====Losing your first game of 2015 badly to worst FBS team in 2014 because your QB play is below the average of your typical JV QB <====McNulty named as starter because he is a busdriver who tests well<==Canales' tests and poor development of QBs<===Mac's poor recruiting of QBs<=====Mac's Woody Hayes offensive gameplan<======Mac's extension with contract buyout we can't/won't take on<======RV's poor leadership and hiring/extending decision<======BOR making it all about known costs, not winning<===I-aa drop for 12 freaking years<=====Old Nestors wanting to keep football from becoming too big at North Texas<======Hayden Fry leaving because he couldn't get any decent support for a Top 20 ranked team<======SWC teams won't even consider us as members<======Apathy, both in Denton and outside of Denton about North Texas

I think I covered it all...

• Upvote 2

First, I think we have D.D. back at head coach more than many realize. I think they may have held back some because it wasn't a conference game. Something D.D. always did.

My prediction. Tomorrow you'll see AM doing more running out of the pocket. I'm convinced that last week he was ordered to not try and make any plays with his feet, which he is capable of doing, but didn't try it against SmU. Also, all fall we've been getting comments from the coaches about how great Thaddeus Thomas is doing (#11) and how well the freshman (#82) is doing. Why didn't they involve them more in the offense last week? My prediction is that we will see them more this week. 

How's that for a tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theory.

• Upvote 1