MGB: Carlos Harris comes to defense of McNulty

Brett Vito

Carlos, it's good that you take up for your teammate. I respect that.  Our frustrations are more on the coaching staff.  But don't use social media to diss the fan base.  I'm an old timer, been following NT football since the mid 1960's, not so much during my military days and the drop to FCS.  Where was I during the darkness?  Since 1995, our return to FBS, I have been a faithful follower from afar.  20 years ago I was *49 years old and watching UNT games again.  Our record during that 20 years is pretty dismal.

Five years ago I donated to the new stadium, renewing my club seats each year for five years, to attend as many football games as I could.  I've done my part during the non ending "dark days".  Football has very little to show for the time and treasures I, and many others, have invested in UNT football.  We have lived the darkness.

This is and always has been about the leadership at UNT.  From the Board of Regents to the President of our fine University, to the current Athletic Director, head football coach, and head basketball coach.  There is no accountability for the terrible management of UNT athletics.

The fans deserve better. The athletes deserve better.

Edit note:  Holy schit! I made myself 10 years older than I really am!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

I don't blame Carlos Harris at all for defending his teammate and I'm not quite sure why there's blow back from some posters here about it. I think it's good sign to see a team stick together. Can the team improve? NO QUESTION. But the last thing we need to do is to get into a back and forth with a college student on Twitter. Like I saw someone else mention, it's not like these guys are playing to lose. They're doing the best they can with the skills they have. If another team is faster, if another team is stronger, if another team is outplaying us, our coaches and the administration have to be held accountable. The bottom line is our coaching staff does need to do a heck of a better job on the field and on the recruiting trail. I'm frustrated with what we saw out there, but I'll keep rooting for the players on the field. They shouldn't be the fall guys for strapping it on to represent North Texas.

Also, you were still in Junior high during the "darkness" Carlos, just stop it. I'm sorry but this really got under my skin. 

Carlos wasn't born as yet during the "darkness".  Check your history.  I am in my 50th year of supporting this program and university in one manner or another.  There have been some heartfelt comments made today in this thread and in others without whining or bitching from some long time loyal supporters.  And I heard more today in person and many more after the game last night.  When folks who never bitch and whine start expressing serious concerns and reservations one must take note.

Sure the "little boys who cry wolf" all the time, stop buying tickets and stop donating are paid little to no mind, but, these folks, who continue to donate and buy tickets through the "darkness", when they share such frustrations as "things just never seem to change no matter who the Coach is and no matter who the AD is after all the years I have been supporting"... And that is a whole bunch longer than when Carlos was in Junior High...someone needs to pay attention.  Every program has "fair weather friends" and UNT is no exception to that, in fact it might just be the rule, but these folks sharing such frustration is serious business.  You cannot build a program on fair weather fans, but these folks are the ones programs can be built around.  Together we simply must find a way to right this ship.

I hate to use SMU for any example, but it is the only school to receive the death penalty and the results of that we're such that the NCAA never has nor never will use the death penalty again.  But, even while UNT was still playing and SMU was "dead", UNT never found the rhythm of consistent winning. And, based on last night, obviously a one game sample, it appears from the SMU crowd, the facilities, the team, etc. that they may just be on the verge of coming out of their darkness.  UNT too must find the way.  

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry but you have to put a product on the field that is competitive to keep the interest of your fans. We are loyal fans who have high expectations for our Alma Mater. The emotional roller coaster is what prevents me from buying season tickets every year. I have to weigh my entertainment budget each year and I can't haul my family up there all season, only to leave pissed off and angry. Consistency of being competive should be fundamental. The only consistency we have is expecting to lose every damn week. I've reached my point of saturation with this team. We should have won that game last night. SMU is not a good team....Yet. 

Loyal fan? Hell Yes. High expectations for the BOR and Administration to get this fixed?You're damn right.  I won't buy season tickets again until there is real change. Bet on it. 

Edited by JRock
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry but you have to put a product on the field that is competitive to keep the interest of your fans. We are loyal fans who have high expectations for our Alma Mater. The emotional roller coaster is what prevents me from buying season tickets every year. I have to weigh my entertainment budget each year and I can't haul my family up there all season, only to leave pissed off and angry. Consistency of being competive should be fundamental. The only onsistency we have is expecting to lose every damn week. I've reached my point of saturation with this team. We should have won that game last night. SMU is not a good team....Yet. 

Loyal fan? Hell Yes. High expectations for the BOR and Administration to get this fixed?You're damn right.  I won't buy season tickets again until there is real change. Bet on it. 

See this as a perfect example of what I am talking about.  JRock is a long time loyal fan.  He is not a "little boy always crying wolf", nor his he a constant bitcher or whiner.  In fact, he often tries to be a voice of reason. When he expresses such frustrations in the sane and sound manner he has causes me much anxiety.  Why?  Because there are probably many more just like him who are solid fans feeling the exact same way. 

We together, simply must find a way to right this ship for the long term in terms of establishing a winning tradition.  To me that does not have to mean bowl games every year forever.  While that might be great it is pretty unrealistic at this point and time.  But, a winning record most years is certainly doable for the Mean Green.  It will take a great number of folks to make this happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right or wrong... calling out the people that donate to the scholarships is never a good idea, especially when many are anger about the direction of the program. I doubt coach Mac,RV, or Smatresk will be happy about it. Carlos should let the staff and administration handle these issues. They get paid to paid to deal with the programs problems.

• Upvote 2

Jesus H. Christ, you know we've got a serious problem when even KRAM is doubting the direction of the program.

Ha!  I said I was anxious. I'll be at Apogee Saturday and at the Coach Mac Show Monday before then and on campus for two meetings this week.  So, anxious yes, doubting...no! I have learned to "see" the light at the end of the tunnel.  And I still believe that light is no longer a freight train.  It just seems to grow in distance every now and again just when I think the light is growing brighter and brighter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fact that McNulty  is the pick of the litter defines our staff's inability to recruit. Coach Mac got an extension at the end of a very good season in 13' at a point where most of us thought that the football program had turned the corner. It turns out that we were wrong. I have said it before;I see little if any  difference  between his offense and Darrell Dickey's. I don't see us improving much over last years record, and normally if you have 4 out of 5 loosing seasons you get fired. Whether or not we can afford to buy him out is probably an issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The most impressive thing I saw from McNulty last night was his poise. He got d-linemen in his face more than once and just calmly step out of the way and then moved around to gain some time to throw......or throw it away. 

The other impression that I came away with was that McNulty was obviously given strict orders to not try to make a play with his feet. He never crossed the line of scrimmage once..,...even when it looked like he had plenty of running room. And McNulty is fast enough to have made a few plays with his feet last night. SOMEONE obviously ordered him not to do it.

This is exactly right.  

AM seems comfortable under pressure and is willing to take a freight-training.  Plus, you don't run a read-option correctly if the QB's "Option to run" isn't part of the game plan and that seemed to be the case.    

I thought how strangely odd we looked to have the QB read to pull the ball then stand and throw...either throwing for a completion or throwing it away, when he could have easily taken off for at least a small gain.  

Rick

• Upvote 1

Deep and Kram, what is this "darkness" you keep talking about.....1-AA? I went to a lot of the games during that era and saw some damn good football. And I also saw us get our butts kicked because we didn't have the players that year. 

Good football is good football no matter what size label is put on the product. All you people talking about the "darkness" must have gone to 5-A powerhouse schools that went to the playoffs every year. I graduated from a 2-A school and saw a lot of great football during that time. A friend of mine was once an assistant coach on the last Jacksboro state championship team. He used to say that some of the best football he ever watched was 1-A and 2-A playoff games. And I agree. 

Back to us. During those "dark" days, we had wins over New Mexico, TCU, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU and (almost) Texas. 

I didn't see it as "dark" football, I just saw it as.......well.....football. And for the most part, pretty good at that.

Carlos likes the fact that mcnulty has tunnel vision for him and he will get passes.  

This,  I'd be nervous about the possibility of McNulty being benched if I was Carlos Harris too.  Carlos had 216 yards on 15 catches against Southern Miss last year with McNulty as his QB.  I sat and watched in disbelief as Southern Miss continued to play soft coverage on him.  SMU didn't do the same and almost picked McNulty every time he looked in the direction of Carlos.  McNulty telegraphs his passes and he doesn't have the arm strength to overcome it.  To Carlos's point, "he works with the talents God gave him," I agree McNulty does put in the time and effort it takes to succeed and he's a smart kid.  I don't blame McNulty, I blame the coaching staff.  If McNulty is the best QB on the team, the offense needs more adjustments to compensate....more timing plays, play-actions and, for the love of God, work with him on looking off DBs with his eyes and using pump-fakes.  That's how you overcome a weak arm.

Carlos, if you read this, kudos to you for coming to the defense of your teammates.  I admire and respect that.  I played sports long before social media was invented and I'm not sure how I'd handle it.  But, this board represents the die-hard UNT fan.  Try as we may, we will never stop following and supporting our school.  We will be critical and we will demand better, but our expectations are no different than any other college. 

You know I hold my tongue a lot on these comments about my quarterback Andrew Mcnulty. But forget being potentially correct anymore.

And this...lol...I think you meant politically correct.

• Upvote 2

Deep and Kram, what is this "darkness" you keep talking about.....1-AA? I went to a lot of the games during that era and saw some damn good football. And I also saw us get our butts kicked because we didn't have the players that year. 

Good football is good football no matter what size label is put on the product. All you people talking about the "darkness" must have gone to 5-A powerhouse schools that went to the playoffs every year. I graduated from a 2-A school and saw a lot of great football during that time. A friend of mine was once an assistant coach on the last Jacksboro state championship team. He used to say that some of the best football he ever watched was 1-A and 2-A playoff games. And I agree. 

Back to us. During those "dark" days, we had wins over New Mexico, TCU, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU and (almost) Texas. 

I didn't see it as "dark" football, I just saw it as.......well.....football. And for the most part, pretty good at that.

Silver, I can't speak for Kram, but the "dark years" I'm referring to are the last 20 years since our return to 1A.  Yes, we had New Orleans Bowls, including one win, during Dickeys tenure, then the Dallas bowl in 2013.  Regardless of the bowl appearances, what has been our overall record in the past 20 years?  Someone had it on another thread.  I was not talking about the 1AA days.  I didn't really follow UNT during that time for obvious reasons.

Actually the 1AA  years were fun in that for the most part we had a competitive program. In addition, there didn't seem to be as much separation between 1A and !AA 30years ago as there is now between North Texas and the Power Five.My disappointment is not when we get hammered by Texas in a money game. Its when in one year SMU beats us with a new coach,a new QB, and a better team. Shame on us.

• Upvote 1

See this as a perfect example of what I am talking about.  JRock is a long time loyal fan.  He is not a "little boy always crying wolf", nor his he a constant bitcher or whiner.  In fact, he often tries to be a voice of reason. When he expresses such frustrations in the sane and sound manner he has causes me much anxiety.  Why?  Because there are probably many more just like him who are solid fans feeling the exact same way. 

We together, simply must find a way to right this ship for the long term in terms of establishing a winning tradition.  To me that does not have to mean bowl games every year forever.  While that might be great it is pretty unrealistic at this point and time.  But, a winning record most years is certainly doable for the Mean Green.  It will take a great number of folks to make this happen.

Funny that you don't realize that "consistent whiners" also may be "longtime supporters."

its not an either/or situation.

Oh, I will continue to wish for and openly post about the AD being fired, as a new AD with fresh ideas is the only thing that will right this listing ship. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1