UNT will determine COA stipends soon

Harry

UNT officials said Thursday that the school will soon settle on a figure for its athletic scholarships as part of Conference USA’s move to full-cost-of-attendance stipends.

Here’s a link to the story that will appear in tomorrow’s paper.

UNT has determined a range for its scholarship amount. A UNT spokesman declined to name that range.

Read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/07/unt-will-determine-coa-stipends-soon.html/

Whatever this number is, it is uniform across the board right?

The starting QB of the football team gets the same amount as the 3rd string LF on the softball team?

I have no evidence for or against this theory, but I'd speculate that Title IX would come a knockin' if it were any other way.  Only point of curiosity is if we have any sports with partial scholarships.  This will get interesting for schools with baseball where nobody has a full scholarship.

Whatever this number is, it is uniform across the board right?

The starting QB of the football team gets the same amount as the 3rd string LF on the softball team?

Is this how other universities in C-USA are handling it? I would think the big three (football, men's and women's basketball) might get a larger portion.

All I know is we at least need to be paying at the levels of the other Texas C-USA and AAC programs. I believe we have the third largest athletic budget in C-USA, behind ODU and Rice. As much as I regret college football adopting the COA policy, I hope we can pay near the top in C-USA. I believe COA stipends play a large part in which G5 programs will succeed in the new landscape of college football.

• Upvote 4

Interesting to see the discrepancy between Tech and aTm

I thought that too -- wonder if the fact that they need to provide additional assistance for gas etc based on their location or just want to boost up the amount to make them more competitive?  Or perhaps A&M offers free summer school or other perks that Tech does not include in their standard offer? No offense to Tech but I would say they are not in the same realm of player as A&M is recruiting at this particular time.  Seems like A&M is battling more with Texas and SEC teams. It will be interesting to see the breakdown.

Edited by Harry

At Clemson University, the annual stipend amount is set at $3,608. According to figures compiled by the Chronicle of Higher Education, the stipend will be $3,884 at Florida State University, $2,770 at Virginia Tech and $2,236 at the University of North Carolina.

Coaches already have grumbled about competitors attempting to entice recruits by comparing favorable stipend figures. Swofford acknowledged those anxieties but said there was no foreseeable push for immediate change to the policy.

"I understand the concerns," Swofford said Monday during the ACC Kickoff. "We're going to need to live with this for a couple of years before we truly see whether or not the differences impact how the decisions in recruiting are made. In a perfect world, would that number be the same? Probably, but we don't live in a perfect world.

read more:  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2015/07/20/swofford-acc-network-tv-espn-recruiting/30434329/

Starting on Aug. 1, the 65 schools in the Power Five conferences will begin paying their athletes the full cost of attendance -- the extra amount that it costs to attend a given school beyond tuition/fees, books and room/board -- and the number will vary by the school, based on the amounts the universities have been reporting for years.

Three of the four universities that will offer their athletes an additional $5,000 or more (based on a traditional nine-month academic schedule) are members of the SEC: Tennessee ($5,666), Auburn ($,5,586) and Mississippi State ($5,126). Seven of the top 20 come from the SEC.

But where do these numbers come from? The Montgomery Advertiser's James Crepea sat down with Mike Reynolds, Auburn's executive director of student financial services, to learn just how he arrived at the numbers that are being met with considerably more scrutiny than in the recent past.

Crepea's story provides an interesting look at the factors Reynolds includes in his total, which is generally broken down into $2,728 for personal expenses and $2,858 for transportation.

read more:  http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/102653/auburns-cost-of-attendance-explained

I think this is an extremely important issue -- think about when you are battling for a recruit with say, SMU, La. Tech, UTEP etc.. the difference in the amount of that stipend for a kid could make a difference.  They will state that this amount is adjustable over time, but we all know where you come out of the gate is key -- in terms of future adjustments and perception.

On the other hand, I would think coaches could reassure recruits that they would be making adjustments in future years that would level out the differences.

This gives a huge advantage to Power programs with gigantic budgets like UT and Private schools like SMU and TCU who have unlimited war chests to pull from.  I would think the disadvantage would be satellite schools like UTSA and UTEP, UAB etc who have to get blessing from their respective systems.

What a friggin' mess!  Pure crap-ola. So, getting that scholarship isn't enough.  Now the school has to pay for your cell phone and tattoos.  Great! 

Now, the gulf gets even bigger between the programs who have donors willing to step up and actually act big time as opposed to those who just like to flap their lips.  Perfect...

Sad day in college sports.  just another example of the entitlement mentality.  Good grief.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

What a friggin' mess!  Pure crap-ola. So, getting that scholarship isn't enough.  Now the school has to pay for your cell phone and tattoos.  Great! 

Now, the gulf gets even bigger between the programs who have donors willing to step up and actually act big time as opposed to those who just like to flap their lips.  Perfect...

Sad day in college sports.  just another example of the entitlement mentality.  Good grief.

preach! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think this whole thing is BULSH!!!!

The NCAA and all the colleges need to grow some balls. The recruiting process turns from, who has the better program, academics, location and system to who can pay me the most. It will start off fair but in a couple of years, it will get ridiculous with the amount the big schools will pay for stipends

• Upvote 3

how is seeking the fairest wage for your work and efforts entitlement? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

UNT chooses to further tap the athletic budget and force the dept. to further tap the donors and supporters rather than charging a reasonable student athletic fee like our CUSA competition. With this manner of thought we can never compete in CUSA!

Let's hope that is your expectation and not the ultimate result. #GetWhatYouPay4

The sky is falling. If people don't want college athletes getting paid CoA, stop paying to go to games and giving them TV ratings. This is a direct result of how large an empire college football has gotten, it hasn't been truly amateur in a long time. 

So now that Texas High School football is getting huge and is now on TV, should we give all 6A/5A football players a stipend?

Some of these big time colleges charge an arm and a leg for tuition and these kids are getting a free tuition with books and a place to stay with meals included. I say give them more swag and gifts but not all this money. Or give them the stipend and charge them for tuition and books. One way or the other but thats just my opinion

• Upvote 3

So now that Texas High School football is getting huge and is now on TV

I mean...we can have that discussion, but could we perhaps start by first examining this statement and admitting it's pretty damn disturbing and that maybe a simple re-evaluation of our priorities would nip the stipend question in the bud. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1