SMU Announce 2017 &19 home and home with Ark State

Harry

Take homes from thread:

1) Somehow both SMU & ArkyState have managed to step down in class.

2) SMU fans appear to think that money buys success - didn't the death penalty teach them anything?

3) 43-6.

4) SMU's AD returns calls when called by FBS AD's seeking games. AState's AD was recently quoted as saying a number of former Sun Belt schools wouldn't extend the courtesy of returning calls when he was trying to get games.

• Upvote 3

Take homes from thread:

1) Somehow both SMU & ArkyState have managed to step down in class.

2) SMU fans appear to think that money buys success - didn't the death penalty teach them anything?

3) 43-6.

​Money also buys whores, and we've all seen what that leads to.

4) SMU's AD returns calls when called by FBS AD's seeking games. AState's AD was recently quoted as saying a number of former Sun Belt schools wouldn't extend the courtesy of returning calls when he was trying to get games.

​Apparently changing the number wasn't enough.

BTW, I have a great deal of respect for ArkStFan.  I appreciate his love for his school.  As an alum of UNT, however, I want to leave the nightmare that was the Sun Belt far behind. 

• Upvote 1

BTW, I have a great deal of respect for ArkStFan.  I appreciate his love for his school.  As an alum of UNT, however, I want to leave the nightmare that was the Sun Belt far behind. 

​Yes it was effin hell on you guys getting four bowl berths, being on ESPN, winning auto bids to NCAA post-season, probably couldn't have ever afforded a new stadium in the Sun Belt either. The Sun Belt defectors have averaged one more conference win per year since leaving the lesser competition of the Sun Belt. We never forced you to shoot yourself in the foot. Gets pretty disgusting seeing the Belt blamed for your ills.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 4

​I thought we were still in the Belt.

Gets pretty disgusting seeing the Belt blamed for your ills.

Some folks think UNT is in bad shape - I don't agree.  I like the direction we're going.  I will be glad when our progress is reflected in more wins, but till then I'm still proud of my school.  I think one of the best things to happen to UNT was leaving the Belt.  Now let's not ruin that by dragging the remainder of the Sun Belt along with us.

• Upvote 1

I would love a one and one with ASU and a one and one with Louisiana. If makes no sense to complain about schools not be willing to travel to Denton if we are refusing to schedule teams that ARE willing to come! 

​So we should schedule schools that might beat us and no one cares about? At least people are interested in SMU and Army and we will definitely win against the FCS teams we bring in.

• Upvote 2

​So we should schedule schools that might beat us and no one cares about? At least people are interested in SMU and Army and we will definitely win against the FCS teams we bring in.

​First, ask Michigan about "definite wins" agains FCS schools. Second, we're talking 2019 or 20 at the earliest so there is no real way to know who even MIGHT be able to be whom this far out. Third, schedule like an adult and play teams that are willing to do one and ones. Don't fill the schedule with Sunbelt teams or with Big XII or ACC teams, but play those who are willing to do a one and one. 

• Upvote 1

​First, ask Michigan about "definite wins" agains FCS schools. Second, we're talking 2019 or 20 at the earliest so there is no real way to know who even MIGHT be able to be whom this far out. Third, schedule like an adult and play teams that are willing to do one and ones. Don't fill the schedule with Sunbelt teams or with Big XII or ACC teams, but play those who are willing to do a one and one. 

​Big difference between Portland St and Appy St.

​Yes it was effin hell on you guys getting four bowl berths, being on ESPN, winning auto bids to NCAA post-season, probably couldn't have ever afforded a new stadium in the Sun Belt either. The Sun Belt defectors have averaged one more conference win per year since leaving the lesser competition of the Sun Belt. We never forced you to shoot yourself in the foot. Gets pretty disgusting seeing the Belt blamed for your ills.

​We play people on our schedule from our conference division that folks in the Metroplex have actually heard and may go out and watch. We never had that in the Sun Belt...ever. I don't care if its one extra win a year or not. We may still be considered as a member of  SBC 2.0 in our version of CUSA, but it sure as hell beats the crap out of the current SBC, from our standpoint. I really cannot imagine anything worse than us still being in the SBC while UTEP, UTSA, Rice, and La Tech are in CUSA. Talk about being cemented to the bottom of the Texas FBS Totem Pole. I'm sure that you guys like it, since yall are on of the best teams in that league, but playing Texas State, Troy, ULM, ULL, USA, Appy State, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern wouldn't move the needle here--at all, even if we were winning.

Now, I will say, that I would love for CUSA to get rid of UAB, then add Arkansas State, ULL, and Texas State to CUSA, even though there is no way it would happen. Our division would be awesome from a geographical standpoint, as well as playing teams that I would like to be aligned with in a conference: UNT, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, La Tech, ULL, and Arkansas State would be awesome. We could play 7 division games, 2 games against the Eastern Division, and then have 3 OOC games, which would help our athletic department figure out a way to schedule decently for home games going forward. The East would have USM, MUTS, WKU, FIU, FAU,ODU, Marshall, and Charlotte. I think it would be great for football and basketball.

• Downvote 1

​I'm pretty sure we're scheduled with paycheck games through 2020 now (Deal signed with A&M).  So, unless you want a 5-game home schedule anywhere in there, just say no to 1-&-1's.

We're not making enough money AT APOGEE to warrant playing 1-&-1's with anyone.

Sad reality.   We NEED the paycheck games.   With the paycheck games comes purchasing an FCS home game each year.  That's just how it is (at least for the next 5 years).   We got lucky in 2012 with FBS Idaho needing a game.  I doubt we'll get that chance again.   

To be serious about getting more 1-&-1's like Indiana, we need the following 3 things to hit over the next 5 years:

Our jobs, as Mean Green fans, is to show up & be loud.  
The Football team/staff's job is to win.   
*Ahem* the Athletic Department's job is to get the casual fan/Denton denizens' butts in seats.

If these 3 things can't be accomplished, we're going to keep the same type of schedule so we can pay bills.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So, in other words, we're in a vicious cyle. The casuals want better games, the AD wants more people to attend the games. So, the easy thing for the AD to do is point blame on attendance to Nicholls, Portland, etc. instead of creating innovative ways to increase donations, attendance, season ticket holders, MGC membership. This has been a decade and a half problem under this athletic administration  and the individual solely responsible for this problem is still here. 

I would love a one and one with ASU and a one and one with Louisiana. If makes no sense to complain about schools not be willing to travel to Denton if we are refusing to schedule teams that ARE willing to 

I would assume we aren't scheduling them to keep us from being associated with the Sun Belt now that we are in CUSA. If we continued to play ASU and ULL, the talking heads may not realize we are no longer in the Sun Belt. It is hard enough for them to remember our name. We haven't be North Texas State in over twenty years. 

• Upvote 1

Man, I apologize to our SMU visitors. My finger keeps trolling the "play" button and I cannot read anything in this thread over the sound of 43-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqvXMMjTg4

You beat SMU once and you are having wet dreams over it. We on the otherhand, beat SMU on a regular basis and don't think twice about it despite having far more history with them and unlike UNT, are actually acknowledged as a legitimite menace. 

Last year is last year, move on already. At the end of the day, your team went 4-8 and are gloating about a win over a 1-11 team that was amongst the worst in the country. 

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1

Man, I apologize to our SMU visitors. My finger keeps trolling the "play" button and I cannot read anything in this thread over the sound of 43-6.

Man, our defense won that game. I hope they come out with the same intensity this year in Dallas.

If I remember correctly, not only did they lose the game to us last year but also lost 2 qbs and a coach in the process.

Edited by Cr1028

I CAN"T PASS AN OPPORTUNITY TO UPLIFT U of H AND BELITTLE UNT, EVEN IF I AM OFF TOPIC.

That's how I have read your posts for 3 years.

I was responding to the SMU trolls.  Find another thread to invade, because your self-serving posts are mostly ignored from my end.

• Upvote 3

That's how I have read your posts for 3 years.

I was responding to the SMU trolls.  Find another thread to invade, because your self-serving posts are mostly ignored from my end.

The "ignore" feature still works. I haven't seen a Cougar Queen post unless someone quotes it years.

• Upvote 3

Some folks think UNT is in bad shape - I don't agree.  I like the direction we're going.  I will be glad when our progress is reflected in more wins, but till then I'm still proud of my school.  I think one of the best things to happen to UNT was leaving the Belt.  Now let's not ruin that by dragging the remainder of the Sun Belt along with us.

You already drug four other Sun Belt schools with you and only one (WKU) had much success against AState. Little late to close the barn door now.

I get the whole you get to play local schools: UTSA (a school UNT blocked from joining the Sun Belt), Rice, UTEP and Tulsa that's all good for you. But the meme of how dreadful the Sun Belt is/was ought to be beneath UNT fans.