Study concludes UAB football made money

BillySee58

You can massage numbers any way you'd like.

"Instead, after making the sort of adjustments suggested by the economics literature, we conclude that the three sports were effectively break-even to slightly positive."

Edited by MDH

The "big boys" did something similar to us when they sent us packing to 1AA. It has been around 20 years now, and many would say that we still haven't recovered from it.

I think UNT sent themselves packing to 1AA. The only thing holding us back was increasing the capacity of Fouts to 30K (like the addition of aluminum seats in 1994). I believe that was the NCAA's only requirement to stay in 1A. Probably would have been half the cost back then. Someone correct my if I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

I think UNT sent themselves packing to 1AA. The only thing holding us back was increasing the capacity of Fouts to 30K (like the addition of aluminum seats in 1994). I believe that was the NCAA's only requirement to stay in 1A. Probably would have been half the cost back then. Someone correct my if I'm wrong.

Well, the big boys did kind of set the upgraded standards in an attempt to rid themselves of undesirables, but it was certainly nobodies fault but ours for not fighting back and meeting those standards. Southwestern Louisiana managed to meet them and so should have we. Weren't there also Title IX, upgraded scheduling, and attendance issues involved? Regardless, nothing that couldn't have been overcome had the powers that be really given a damn.

Most of the study was funded by the University itself since they originally commissioned it. They only fired OSKR after it became clear they wouldn't like the results.

NCAA accounting charges the athletic department for full cost of tuition, books, room & board... even though the true costs to the University are less than 45% what students are charged. The NCAA also counts students fees given to athletics as a loss, even though the money doesn't come directly from the school's bottom line. OSKR simply believes the current NCAA accounting method is flawed when trying to determine a program's true value to a University.

• Upvote 2

Most of the study was funded by the University itself since they originally commissioned it. They only fired OSKR after it became clear they wouldn't like the results.

NCAA accounting charges the athletic department for full cost of tuition, books, room & board... even though the true costs to the University are less than 45% what students are charged. The NCAA also counts students fees given to athletics as a loss, even though the money doesn't come directly from the school's bottom line. OSKR simply believes the current NCAA accounting method is flawed when trying to determine a program's true value to a University.

Thanks for the clarification and I wish you guys well. Here's my question, has a program ever been completely shut down like this and been revived within the next year? And at what cost? It seems like the UAT BOR has wanted to shut it down all along and now has their wish. It would seem very costly and time consuming to try and do this in such a short time frame.

Here's the good news. UAT has been incredibly exposed through this fiasco. I've read they are spending billions on fraternity houses etc while UAB gets the scraps. Yet despite all of this money, UAT statistically lags behind other flagships in terms of research dollars and academic prestige. It's not right and now that it has been exposed I hope that we will see some justice.

More ammunition for a class action anti-trust lawsuit by the G5s against the NCAA and P5 conferences.

Too bad they, and we, would rather just keep whoring ourselves for the crumbs they throw us.

Best idea ever by 90! Why do the G5 standby and watch what is blatant violation of anti- trust laws. Only reason for P5 formation was to create a monopoly and sweeten it with a made for TV pseudo " National Championship" that is truthfully just BCS reincarnated. In a true national championship such as the NCAA BB tourney, how many times have the final four been the #1 seeds picked at the beginning? P5 will eventually devour itself by having the conference bottom rung in football decide it is time to quit throwing $$$$$$ into an abyss that they have no chance in Hades of ever being in the " national championship". Still can't figure what the Big 12-2 and ACC are trying to pull off as it is sooooo obvious that TV wants conference championship games not a round robin.

• Upvote 1

The G5 has to start punching back. They have to. Collectively, they have power and they have to at least try to get in the ring with the P5. There is 0 backlash, it's really kind of sad to watch the P5 just monopolize themselves over and over and over while nothing is done.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We could have used one of our in-house attorneys to file a law suit against the NCAA claiming arbitrary and unfair rule changes that targeted schools not in a conference. Throw a bunch of interrogatories at them, and ask the court to grant a temporary restraining order against them. This would have stalled them long enough for us to figure out how best to meet the standards.

But then, this is the same administration that would not take the risk of guaranteeing 10K ticket sales for our first 1-AA playoff game against Nevada Reno, so we had to go up and play Nevada in the snow and slush.