Why UNT needs to hire Jalie Mitchell

Harry

She's a top notch recruiter. She's the recruiting lead at Texas, one of the premier programs in the country. After Peterson, this program needs a big time infusion of talent and Jalie can give us that.

Being from Duncanville gives her strong ties in DFW. We have plenty of good talent right here in the metroplex. We don't need to travel far to find some of the best players in the country.

She's done it here at North Texas in a really big way. A major UNT success story. She was a great student athlete and loves the Mean Green. I would argue she is one of the best student athletes we have ever had. She embodies all that is great about UNT and will reflect that on recruits and their parents. Our alumni will be proud to finally have one of our own leading a Mean Green team. I think it's a story the media will be interested in and will generate some very positive publicity.

Everyone who knows her will tell you she is a tireless worker. It's going to take some time to rebuild the program and a lot of hard work. Her energy and enthusiasm will serve us well.

Jalie was around North Texas when we didn't have near the facilities or infrastructure we have today. She is uniquely qualified among the available pool of coaching candidates to tell the UNT story.

It's not like she is coming on green. Well the wrong shade of green. I like the idea of high energy meets connections meets improved facilities meets improved conference.

Come in and get us something to get excited about.

GMG

• Upvote 1

This particular point seems to get brought up with every coaching hire in every sport. Can you give me examples where it's really been a blockbuster trait?

Not sure about what constitutes blockbuster. I think you being from the west coast and all may be the issue here. Duncanville has had some amazing girls teams and has a good reputation for producing talent. It also has proximity to other strong programs in the South Dallas region. To give you a current example, UT has 3 players on their roster right now from Duncanville. This is a team who made it to the sweet 16 this past season.

I won't pretend we will be recruiting players in UT's category ever but Mitchell should be able to recruit players who can compete in C-USA. I think her DFW ties will help in that regard.

I think his point was we were sold the same thing about Todd Dodge and his high school connections. We know how that turned out.

It all depends on the person and how good they are AS A COLLEGE COACH at cultivating relationships with high school head coaches, and more importantly, high school athletes.

Dodge was amazingly not good at this, despite his high school roots.

It all comes down to the individual, their work ethic and personality.

• Upvote 1

I think his point was we were sold the same thing about Todd Dodge and his high school connections. We know how that turned out.

It all depends on the person and how good they are AS A COLLEGE COACH at cultivating relationships with high school head coaches, and more importantly, high school athletes.

Dodge was amazingly not good at this, despite his high school roots.

It all comes down to the individual, their work ethic and personality.

Mitchell has taken the road Dodge should have. I think she would be much more prepared than Dodge.

Mitchell has taken the road Dodge should have. I think she would be much more prepared than Dodge.

Oh, I agree. It wasn't meant to compare HER to Dodge, just saying that just because someone went to school somewhere doesn't mean that a pipeline will suddenly flow from such a school. I think Dodge and SLC are a prime example of this. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Reminds me of those that wanted Joe Greene for a hc, years ago.

Jalie is someone no one on here would want if she didn't have the NT ties.

I have no idea if she is ready to be a hc and I doubt anyone else does. I'm not sure after Benford, that being a lead recruiter qualifies anyone for head coaching duties.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure after Benford, that being a lead recruiter qualifies anyone for head coaching duties.

this is faulty logic. it's similar to the Tom Hicks line of thought of not spending money because the Chan Ho Park signing didn't pan out. spending the money wasn't the problem, spending it poorly was.

hiring a recruiter isn't the problem...it's hiring the wrong one. I too have no idea if Jalie is actually ready to be a head coach, but because she has a similar title/responsibility/reputation to what Benford had shouldn't be a disqualifier

• Upvote 4

this is faulty logic. it's similar to the Tom Hicks line of thought of not spending money because the Chan Ho Park signing didn't pan out. spending the money wasn't the problem, spending it poorly was.

hiring a recruiter isn't the problem...it's hiring the wrong one. I too have no idea if Jalie is actually ready to be a head coach, but because she has a similar title/responsibility/reputation to what Benford had shouldn't be a disqualifier

This X100
  • Upvote 1

I'm definitely worried due to RV's track record.

However, I do think this is a good hire. It's also a plus that she's hot!! :D

Smoking hot in fact... And she was a great player who seems to still be able to show players how to do what she wants them to instead of just tell them. Edited by MeanGreen13

Over/under on the amount of time in hours before she has to block FFR on all social media and her cell phone?

Tie breaker is the amount of time in days before she has to obtain a restraining order keeping FFR off her property?

I promise I didn't just hack UNT90's account.

• Upvote 3