UNT QB Comparison

BIG DAWG

And this is AM's line today, which apparently is good enough to continue to be the starting QB in Mac's eyes:

11/25 (44%) 105 YDS (4.2 YPA) 1TD 2INT[/size

Actually 9/20 , with 1 of those completions being the " touch pass " to Carlos out of the backfield

Second half stats - 1/4 10 yards 0 TD 1 INT

• Upvote 2

McNulty and Williams are both terrible. Crazy that at this point in the season that some of you all still believe it's an issue.

Yes, but Williams has much more natural ability than McNulty, who has proven in every game that he has ever played that he simply isn't a FBS QB.

The season is done. Why not see if DW can do anything with that natural ability?

The fact that DW isn't playing leads me to believe that he won't be with the team next year. So long BB, I mean DW, we hardly knew ya.

QB recruiting has sucked (for those living in the Congo).

• Upvote 5

If Dajon was a Jr, I would feel the same way I feel about McNulty. I can tolerate bad play from a freshman or sophmore. You see plenty of horrible mistakes from freshmen and sophmores, all day, on every channel on Saturdays.

Today bortles and Bridgewater are going to do something stupid. They are going to need to work on leadership, film study, mechanics, etc.

the way the qb position has been handled is beyond an old school approach. Its just insane.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 6

This is what I'm guessing happened, and I'm surprised that no one else has said it:

Mac let Dajon off of his leash for a little while to produce wins. He didn't want to, because Dajon still had a lot of time to make up for in terms of missed practices and workouts, etc. But he needed the wins, and Dajon's natural talent looked like it might produce those wins. When it didn't, there was no reason for him to keep giving Dajon the benefit of the doubt, since he was still "grounded" and wasn't helping produce wins as a way to stay out of the doghouse.

Give Dajon the time necessary to get all the way back into Mac's good graces with solid reliability in learning the playbook and showing up for practices/workouts/team meetings/whatever and I expect we'll see him get more playing time, especially if he's present to really compete in the QB competition this time around.

• Upvote 3

This is what I'm guessing happened, and I'm surprised that no one else has said it:

Mac let Dajon off of his leash for a little while to produce wins. He didn't want to, because Dajon still had a lot of time to make up for in terms of missed practices and workouts, etc. But he needed the wins, and Dajon's natural talent looked like it might produce those wins. When it didn't, there was no reason for him to keep giving Dajon the benefit of the doubt, since he was still "grounded" and wasn't helping produce wins as a way to stay out of the doghouse.

I agree with this and that would be similar to what I would guess. I had no problems with Dajon getting benched, if the replacement did a better job. Losing to USM is bad. It was overlooked, but that is the game that would have possibly gotten us to 6. The Rice game was winnable, and we lost that. Even though I didn't agree with staying with mcnulty I understood it. We were trying to hit 6 and still had a chance.

Halftime of UTEP is when my understanding left. No more "fanspeak" from me. We should have been planning for next year and see what we have with the young talent and potential. So many teams on all levels do it. They throw the young guys in a nice they realize there is no post season. Why not North Texas?

I don't think mcnulty is as bad as some. He has some talents that can be used in the right situations and with the right coaching. He ripped off that long run against UTEP. Give him a 6'4 target like almost EVERY college team has, and throw it up to him, he might be decent. But we have seen enough of mcnulty and we know what he can do. We still do not know what our freshman and sophomore QB can do, and we wasted reps with a junior with little upside. Wow...

• Upvote 7

Give Dajon the time necessary to get all the way back into Mac's good graces with solid reliability in learning the playbook and showing up for practices/workouts/team meetings/whatever and I expect we'll see him get more playing time, especially if he's present to really compete in the QB competition this time around.

When are we going to get over the "missed meetings, workouts, whatever" nonsense. I certainly hope Mac wouldn't keep a kid on the bench this long bc of that bs. Winning is winning. He didn't have an issue with kids stealing tvs. And don't tell me it's bc he didn't know the playbook. He was running a more complex offense in his games than MiniMac is right now!!! And on top of that, you actually saw some fire from some guys on O when DW was out there, where is that for our great leader AM?

Mac staying with MiniMac is beyond ridiculous at this point. What one game, series, or even play has shown that MiniMac is worthy of starting for us?!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this and that would be similar to what I would guess. I had no problems with Dajon getting benched, if the replacement did a better job. Losing to USM is bad. It was overlooked, but that is the game that would have possibly gotten us to 6. The Rice game was winnable, and we lost that. Even though I didn't agree with staying with mcnulty I understood it. We were trying to hit 6 and still had a chance.

Halftime of UTEP is when my understanding left. No more "fanspeak" from me. We should have been planning for next year and see what we have with the young talent and potential. So many teams on all levels do it. They throw the young guys in a nice they realize there is no post season. Why not North Texas?

I don't think mcnulty is as bad as some. He has some talents that can be used in the right situations and with the right coaching. He ripped off that long run against UTEP. Give him a 6'4 target like almost EVERY college team has, and throw it up to him, he might be decent. But we have seen enough of mcnulty and we know what he can do. We still do not know what our freshman and sophomore QB can do, and we wasted reps with a junior with little upside. Wow...

I've been thinking pretty much the same thing. Because when I watched "Johnny Football" and Boykin at TCU, what I saw that was/is great about both of them (besides their mobility) is that they both had WR's who could go up and out jump, or out wrestle, the DB for the ball. All either of the aforementioned QB's had to do was, keep away from defensive pressure and then throw it up in the vicinity of their WR's and let their over sized and overaggressive WR's come down with it.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

This year. McNulty 7 Int.'s (3 of which were Pick 6's) the other 4 all lead to scores. Total 7 TO for 49 points.

Dajon - 4 Int.'s (2 of which were Pick 6's) the other 2 lead to scores. In addition 2 fumbles both of which lead to returns for TD's. Total 6 TO's for 42 points. (ALL OF THIS IS ONLY 7 QUARTERS)

Greer - 2 Int. (Zero for Pick 6's) 1 lead to a score. Total 2 TO's 7 points. should be noted that both Int.'s were against Texas in the FIRST half of his First D1 level start in front of 93,000 loud fans. Texas as by far the best defense we have played. ZERO TO's in the next 10 quarters.

One other issue that I have struggled with. Dajon and McNulty are "Duel threat" then why is Dajon running stats (excluding Nichols which is a joke) 29 carries for 33 yards?

McNulty 36 carries for 141 (65 of which was on one play last in the UTEP game)

SACKS -

McNulty -11

Dajon - 9 (7 of which in his 2 starts against Indiana and UAB, 1 against La Tech in 4th quarter and 1 on his only play against So Miss)

Greer - 4 (2 against Texas, 1 each against SMU and La Tech)

Sacks most of the time are a result of not getting rid of the ball. Even if it means throwing out of bounds or into the ground at the feet of a RB instead of taking large losses of yardage. Example McNulty at Rice. Dajon on the one play he got at Southern Miss when he ran "outside of tackle box" and could have throw out of bounds to save us 10 yards. Next play McNulty comes in and completes pass but we were 1 yard short of first down in So Miss territory.

I still believe we have talented players coming up. A lot of Red shirt freshman and red shirt sophomores and junior next year. win next week and go into off season with 2 wins to close out season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, but Williams has much more natural ability than McNulty, who has proven in every game that he has ever played that he simply isn't a FBS QB.

The season is done. Why not see if DW can do anything with that natural ability?

The fact that DW isn't playing leads me to believe that he won't be with the team next year. So long BB, I mean DW, we hardly knew ya.

Agee 100%.

This year. McNulty 7 Int.'s (3 of which were Pick 6's) the other 4 all lead to scores. Total 7 TO for 49 points.

Dajon - 4 Int.'s (2 of which were Pick 6's) the other 2 lead to scores. In addition 2 fumbles both of which lead to returns for TD's. Total 6 TO's for 42 points. (ALL OF THIS IS ONLY 7 QUARTERS)

Greer - 2 Int. (Zero for Pick 6's) 1 lead to a score. Total 2 TO's 7 points. should be noted that both Int.'s were against Texas in the FIRST half of his First D1 level start in front of 93,000 loud fans. Texas as by far the best defense we have played. ZERO TO's in the next 10 quarters.

One other issue that I have struggled with. Dajon and McNulty are "Duel threat" then why is Dajon running stats (excluding Nichols which is a joke) 29 carries for 33 yards?

SACKS -

McNulty -11

Dajon - 9 (7 of which in his 2 starts against Indiana and UAB, 1 against La Tech in 4th quarter and 1 on his only play against So Miss)

Sacks most of the time are a result of not getting rid of the ball. Even if it means throwing out of bounds or into the ground at the feet of a RB instead of taking large losses of yardage. Example McNulty at Rice. Dajon on the one play he got at Southern Miss when he ran "outside of tackle box" and could have throw out of bounds to save us 10 yards. Next play McNulty comes in and completes pass but we were 1 yard short of first down in So Miss territory.

I still believe we have talented players coming up. A lot of Red shirt freshman and red shirt sophomores and junior next year. win next week and go into off season with 2 wins to close out season.

Great info.

These stats are not what my eyes told me this year...specifically in regards to Greer.

Great info.

These stats are not what my eyes told me this year...specifically in regards to Greer.

Good information, depressing news. This team is devoid of playmakers at the QB level and at many other levels. My interest has diminished greatly in this team overall. That is saying something, since I have been a rabid fan for 50 years. The major problem is that I see little to no improvement next year unless we find some new personnel in key spots and i do not see the coaching staff recognizing that or dealing with it reasonably. I certainly hope that changes.

You have to admit, though, that the difference between the two is that McCarney had enough sense to not put BB in the game to let him prove he didn't know the playbook. He was forced to put DW in...and the turnovers fell like rain.

I think McCarney, and the rest of the world, saw enough of DW's "natural ability" in the blowout losses to and Indiana team doing so poorly that it will likely fire its coach after the season and UAB, whose defense is awful.

UAB's defense:

6th worst in the C-USA, giving up 30.5 a game...worse than UNT

7th worst in pass defense, giving up 412.1 per game...worse than UNT

UAB's defense has forced 18 turnover this season - five came courtesy of Dajon Williams.

Total defense: UAB, 76th; Indiana, 97th

Pass defense: UAB, 65th; Indiana, 103rd

Against two of the worst defenses we played, Dajon couldn't dent or even threaten. He was horrible. His "natural ability" had us behind 21-0 at Indiana before we scored and 28-0 at UAB before we scored.

Dajon isn't good. It's laughable to write that McNulty "isn't a FBS QB" when Dajon was worse against FBS competition when he was given the opportunity to start.

Like I said earlier, neither of them are FBS QBs. To argue that one is better than the other is crazy; they are both bad.

SACKS -

McNulty -11

One stat overlooked

Took a knee rather than getting hit

McNulty - 0

Dajon - 0

Greer - 1

• Upvote 2

You have to admit, though, that the difference between the two is that McCarney had enough sense to not put BB in the game to let him prove he didn't know the playbook. He was forced to put DW in...and the turnovers fell like rain.

I think McCarney, and the rest of the world, saw enough of DW's "natural ability" in the blowout losses to and Indiana team doing so poorly that it will likely fire its coach after the season and UAB, whose defense is awful.

UAB's defense:

6th worst in the C-USA, giving up 30.5 a game...worse than UNT

7th worst in pass defense, giving up 412.1 per game...worse than UNT

UAB's defense has forced 18 turnover this season - five came courtesy of Dajon Williams.

Total defense: UAB, 76th; Indiana, 97th

Pass defense: UAB, 65th; Indiana, 103rd

Against two of the worst defenses we played, Dajon couldn't dent or even threaten. He was horrible. His "natural ability" had us behind 21-0 at Indiana before we scored and 28-0 at UAB before we scored.

Dajon isn't good. It's laughable to write that McNulty "isn't a FBS QB" when Dajon was worse against FBS competition when he was given the opportunity to start.

Like I said earlier, neither of them are FBS QBs. To argue that one is better than the other is crazy; they are both bad.

Do you think DM thinks differently? Why else would he not seek out a more formidable QB? Or is it simply that he doesn't believe we could get one so he would rather use a scholly elsewhere? Serious questions...