2015 UNT Captains Announced

Harry

Blake Bean and Anthony Wallace - SHOCKED

Andrew McNulty  - Surprising - (Does this mean they're riding this horse all the way to the end?)

Marcus Smith - Most saw it coming. 

So what's up with Kenny Buyers? Team Captain last year. Set to be a starter this year and yet no captain? Something is up.  

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 3

Blake Bean and Anthony Wallace - SHOCKED

Andrew McNulty  - Surprising - (Does this mean they're riding this horse all the way to the end?)

Marcus Smith - Most saw it coming. 

So what's up with Kenny Buyers? Team Captain last year. Set to be a starter this year and yet no captain? Something is up.  

Doesn't mean they are riding McNulty all the way at all. Just means his teammates respect him and he is a leader. That's probably the biggest reason he is the starter too. 

• Upvote 1

Surprising on the defensive side. Two late career defensive transfers, one of whom has never seen the field, and the other with limited playing time who has never really been mentioned as a possible starter. I thought McNulty was going to be a lock on the offensive side, but I'm surprised that there is no Carlos Harris.

• Upvote 2

I bet the coaches had a talk with him about how his work ethic and dedication is part of what helped make other defensive leaders, keep going, be proud of the snowball effect you've started, etc.  Ben's right that he should stay focused, but yeah, it could be a distraction if he doesn't accept it with the right mindset.  His quotes have made him seem like a very solid Christian, so I do expect that he will take it in stride and stay strong and proud.

And the fact that McNulty is a captain is a great sign.  He has respect from the others and works hard, and doesn't whine when he's not the starter.  I suspect that the fact that he hasn't let that detail (that he's won and lost the job repeatedly) get in the way of his work and dedication to the team is HUGE, not only in terms of respect, but also as a great model of what to do to make the TEAM better.  That says that even if he's not the best, and ends up not being the starter, that he's the one that gets the most respect and that they KNOW will help the other QBs to be amazing.

• Upvote 3

Your a captain from one year not get to do it again??  How would you feel if this happened?

I would expect him to be disappointed.  And then I would expect him to look at why it happened.  Was it his own performance, or maybe it was someone else that has stepped up and shown they can lead as well.  When there are only two spots, nothing is guaranteed.  Glad to see our LB core sweep the two spots.  The LB's are typically the heart and emotional leaders of good defenses. 

Hopefully it is more of a positive sign that others have stepped up rather than Buyers falling off.

• Upvote 3

I would expect him to be disappointed.  And then I would expect him to look at why it happened.  Was it his own performance, or maybe it was someone else that has stepped up and shown they can lead as well.  When there are only two spots, nothing is guaranteed.  Glad to see our LB core sweep the two spots.  The LB's are typically the heart and emotional leaders of good defenses. 

Hopefully it is more of a positive sign that others have stepped up rather than Buyers falling off.

The dude went tandem with Marcus Smith (captain) to CUSA media days and isn't elected a second year captain. Seems really really weird to me. 

• Upvote 3

The team voted, these 4 are captains.    I'm fine with it.

captains & leadership council named:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090315aaa.html

It concerns me. You don't serve as Captain your Junior season, get toted around to media day the next season, be a senior and a forgone conclusion at starter at a position that needs experience only to be left out.  Suddenly you're not vocal enough? I don't buy it. Suddenly two guys that have not played meaningful snaps as starters on D during any season prior catapult ahead of you? Again, not buying it.  I don't know whats happening but all things being equal this doesn't happen. Something is not right. 

• Upvote 2

It concerns me. You don't serve as Captain your Junior season, get toted around to media day the next season, be a senior and a forgone conclusion at starter at a position that needs experience only to be left out.  Suddenly you're not vocal enough? I don't buy it. Suddenly two guys that have not played meaningful snaps as starters on D during any season prior catapult ahead of you? Again, not buying it.  I don't know whats happening but all things being equal this doesn't happen. Something is not right. 

We're talkin' about practice.

• Upvote 1

This is cute y'all. Nobody should get torn up. The leadership will perform and lead from the front. That's who the players will gravitate around and a captain can change in ten seconds. Regardless of position or title it will happen. I've been there and seen it. This isn't big news.

GOOD GOD, MAN!  DON'T YOU REALIZE THE FRIGGIN' SKY IS FALLING?

• Upvote 1