Denton, a good city to live in, but not for football like Norman?

Still America's sorriest sports town even though at the apex of a sports inundated metroplex. Fail to support the city's largest employer or to recognize the sales tax revenues brought in by Mean Green athletics, students, and faculty. Backward community that will in the next decade be brought into the metroplex kicking and screaming. Location alone will bail out little "d" , but games of any consequence against " name" opponents should be played as the third game of the State Fair in the Cotton Bowl or if truly marquee in Jerry World.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

There are a million and one excuses in Denton why they don't support the Mean Green. I think this statement typifies their attitudes.."Oh yeah, I know John Smith, he works at the college.' It has been said that if the Good Lord himself made an appearance at the Super Pit, it would be half empty.

• Upvote 1

Still America's sorriest sports town even though at the apex of a sports inundated metroplex. Fail to support the city's largest employer or to recognize the sales tax revenues brought in by Mean Green athletics, students, and faculty. Backward community that will in the next decade be brought into the metroplex kicking and screaming. Location alone will bail out little "d" , but games of any consequence against " name" opponents should be played as the third game of the State Fair in the Cotton Bowl or if truly marquee in Jerry World.

You sure are grouchy.

Do you need a hug?

• Upvote 7

Man, every time I see you post I just want to punch something really hard. Shut your internet face.

• Upvote 7

Just ignore it. He's probably a clueless Dallas $30,000 millionaire. Clearly out of touch and doesn't get it.

Anyway, this list confuses me. Nobody likes Corpus Christi. Not even people who have lived there their whole life. They spend their life trying to get out. Nobody moves to Corpus. Everyone moves out of Corpus.

ya...i grew up in flour bluff...hate that place...hate corpus...haven't been back in over a decade...

• Upvote 1

You have to give it to Dallas Green. He is one of the very few alums from the 60s or 70s that actually cares about this place. Imagine what he has put up with in his career after graduating from North Texas State. He saw Fry come up here and do some great things and yet nobody even cared because we weren't in the SWC. So he sees Fry try to get us into the SWC, only to see the same SMU douchebags he has worked around every day basicallly block us from ever having a chance, so Fry leaves. HE then see SMU become a dominant (paid) program in the SWC, so he has to work around them gloating all the time, while he sees his alma mater decide to drop down to something called 1-aa, so he gets to see UNT play games against SFA, SHSU, NE Louisiana, McNeese State, etc...while his SMU business contacts are playing ranked opponents in Arkansas, Texas, A&M, UH, TCU, and Baylor in the early and mid 80s. Then, when SMU finally gets the Death Penalty--he rejoices!! Finally, they got theirs, this will give UNT a chance to get some Metroplex coverage--and we do in 1988 with a great season. But when SMU gets back to playing in 1989, they schedule us to play a series for the first time in years. SMU is playing the equivalent of a Division II squad in that first year back in 1989, so playing them at Ownby would be a great way to show them that they are way behind us now--except we get pounded 35-9, SMUs only win against a team higher than Division II that season (UConn was still D-2 at that time in football). He sees us beat them at Fouts the next season in front of the largest crowd ever, by a 14-7 score. Of course, we went on to fire Corky Nelson at the end of that season and hired a Texas HS coach, Dennis Parker, to take over the program. We play SMU one more time in that series, losing in Dallas 28-14, to a bad SMU team, because we were a bad i-aa team.

Over the years, he sees UNT move back up to 1-A in 1995, which is the same season SMU gets dropped from the big boy table as the SWC dissolves. Since then, we have both seen our ups and downs, but by and large, we have both been shoved out of the big leagues of college football. We have played exactly twice in the last 20+ years--splitting those two games. Yet he sees and hears more talk about SMU beacuse they are always above us on the conference ladder and won't even consider allowing us in with them--just as they had done back in the 70s. Now, he finally gets this series with SMU for ten years (supposedly)--and he cannot wait for it!! But he fails to realize that SMU carries exactly zero clout anymore in college football. He just has to hear it from the SMU business contacts he has in DFW, which kills him. And if we lose on Saturday, his worst nightmare will have come true, losing to SMU in Denton. Granted, the rest of us recognize that its just a game--but to him, because of what he has endured over all these UNT-masochistic years, this has basically become his line-in-the-sand. I truly fear for his life, if we lose this weekend,,,

I don't know, I think Atlanta has the title of sorriest sports town.

The Braves couldn't consistently sell out when they had that decade plus run of great teams. The Hawks have a hard time selling out in the playoffs. Then you have the fact that TWO NHL teams have left Atlanta for other cities. Georgia Tech rarely sells out.

Hell, unless they're decent the Falcons don't sell out either.

Atlanta is a sorry ass sports town.

• Upvote 2

The Braves couldn't consistently sell out when they had that decade plus run of great teams. The Hawks have a hard time selling out in the playoffs. Then you have the fact that TWO NHL teams have left Atlanta for other cities. Georgia Tech rarely sells out.

Apparently, if you brought any one of those teams to Denton, Denia would protest, the city council would pass ordinances against them, the beer would defile the children, the frats would camp out in the parking lots, and nobody would develop more Chili's locations along interestate 35, let alone adding three more Subways to The Square so we can be corporately blessed with one on each corner.

• Upvote 2

Eh, as West Texas goes, it's not horrible. Still better that Lubbock, Abilene, and El Paso. Still, being crowned best of West Texas isn't exactly an honor that's worth anything.

El Paso is a city where you can watch the Mean Green once every two years, that alone is enough to make it better than any other city in West Texas.

• Upvote 2

El Paso is a city where you can watch the Mean Green once every two years, that alone is enough to make it better than any other city in West Texas.

El Paso has great tailgating at UTEP football, great support for UTEP basketball, and really blurry Thirsty Thursdays at its minor league baseball. Also, who doesn't love watching a great match of dodgebullet if you get to close to that fence on the southern side of the city?

You have to give it to Dallas Green. He is one of the very few alums from the 60s or 70s that actually cares about this place. Imagine what he has put up with in his career after graduating from North Texas State. He saw Fry come up here and do some great things and yet nobody even cared because we weren't in the SWC. So he sees Fry try to get us into the SWC, only to see the same SMU douchebags he has worked around every day basicallly block us from ever having a chance, so Fry leaves. HE then see SMU become a dominant (paid) program in the SWC, so he has to work around them gloating all the time, while he sees his alma mater decide to drop down to something called 1-aa, so he gets to see UNT play games against SFA, SHSU, NE Louisiana, McNeese State, etc...while his SMU business contacts are playing ranked opponents in Arkansas, Texas, A&M, UH, TCU, and Baylor in the early and mid 80s. Then, when SMU finally gets the Death Penalty--he rejoices!! Finally, they got theirs, this will give UNT a chance to get some Metroplex coverage--and we do in 1988 with a great season. But when SMU gets back to playing in 1989, they schedule us to play a series for the first time in years. SMU is playing the equivalent of a Division II squad in that first year back in 1989, so playing them at Ownby would be a great way to show them that they are way behind us now--except we get pounded 35-9, SMUs only win against a team higher than Division II that season (UConn was still D-2 at that time in football). He sees us beat them at Fouts the next season in front of the largest crowd ever, by a 14-7 score. Of course, we went on to fire Corky Nelson at the end of that season and hired a Texas HS coach, Dennis Parker, to take over the program. We play SMU one more time in that series, losing in Dallas 28-14, to a bad SMU team, because we were a bad i-aa team.

Over the years, he sees UNT move back up to 1-A in 1995, which is the same season SMU gets dropped from the big boy table as the SWC dissolves. Since then, we have both seen our ups and downs, but by and large, we have both been shoved out of the big leagues of college football. We have played exactly twice in the last 20+ years--splitting those two games. Yet he sees and hears more talk about SMU beacuse they are always above us on the conference ladder and won't even consider allowing us in with them--just as they had done back in the 70s. Now, he finally gets this series with SMU for ten years (supposedly)--and he cannot wait for it!! But he fails to realize that SMU carries exactly zero clout anymore in college football. He just has to hear it from the SMU business contacts he has in DFW, which kills him. And if we lose on Saturday, his worst nightmare will have come true, losing to SMU in Denton. Granted, the rest of us recognize that its just a game--but to him, because of what he has endured over all these UNT-masochistic years, this has basically become his line-in-the-sand. I truly fear for his life, if we lose this weekend,,,

That has to be the most depressing thing I have read on this board. Someone take my shoelaces and keep me away from high places.

• Upvote 3

I'll give you Atlanta, but I'll see you with Miami. Lived there for five years. For all that DFW gets about being a frontrunners' town, we are Green Bay compared to Miami.

It's a Dolphins town, and even they don't always sell out unless they're really good. Don't give me this Heat business. I was there pre-Shaq, and frequently sat lower bowl for next to nothing. It will be back there quickly. Not to mention the Marlins getting two World Series and being treated like your cousin with Ebola. I'd go to half empty games and drink beer out of a Dolphins logo cup while sitting in a chair with a Dolphins armrest before they got that new stadium (by screwing the citizens, btw).... And they were better than they had any right to be. The Panthers are in Sunrise (much closer to Lauderdale) and I genuinely don't understand how they still exist.

But Jai Alai, amirite?!?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I'll give you Atlanta, but I'll see you with Miami. Lived there for five years. For all that DFW gets about being a frontrunners' town, we are Green Bay compared to Miami.

It's a Dolphins town, and even they don't always sell out unless they're really good. Don't give me this Heat business. I was there pre-Shaq, and frequently sat lower bowl for next to nothing. It will be back there quickly. Not to mention the Marlins getting two World Series and being treated like your cousin with Ebola. I'd go to half empty games and drink beer out of a Dolphins logo cup while sitting in a chair with a Dolphins armrest before they got that new stadium (by screwing the citizens, btw).... And they were better than they had any right to be. The Panthers are in Sunrise (much closer to Lauderdale) and I genuinely don't understand how they still exist.

But Jai Alai, amirite?!?

Yet Beckham/MLS is just DIEING to get a team there too....

Lubbock.

BTW -- I've been away from Denton for 20 years. If I had the chance, I'd move back in a heart beat.

I drove to Lubbock a few months back and I have to wonder how Tech sells anyone on going there and how anyone gets sold on living there. That stretch of highway that comes in from the DFW area goes into a part of town that's basically a huge mess.