Reasons to believe we MIGHT open the offense up

GOMG2013

I was alluding to the fact that those games would all be so stressful that it may lead to complications to existing health conditions.

I know - it just made me laugh to imagine some of our fellow posters uttering this line. You were just the setup and, dang it, you deserve more than that.

• Upvote 3

I was there from 1991-1995, 5 full football seasons working for the athletic department. TFLF is so right about the bolded line above. One thing, though, about those two opponents was that we usually had a decent crowd for both opponents, since it was the opening home game of the season, usually.

The worst games were at home in November against the SLC teams from Louisiana. In 1992, we played a night game against Nicholls State on a November Saturday late in the season. Counting the band, we played the second half of that game in front of about 200 people. At that point, looking back, we were playing at Fouts Field, as a 1-aa team, coached by a HS coach (Parker), against a podunk Louisiana SLC school, and we were both terrible--it was the low point, to me, as a student, when I think back to those days. We had one more dismal season, in 1993, going 4-7 again and Parker got fired. We hired Matt Simon to lead our team as the school tried to qualify for 1-A status. The UNT community actually responded and we were able to achieve this move upward, since we played in front of big crowds (for Fouts) that year. When I think back on those days, that when I realize just how far we have come in the last 20 years...

Those were dark, dark days, my friend. You also rarely saw NT clothing on students. You saw alot of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and OU. Not much NT pride...and, really, it was tough to muster back then. Even back then, most of us came from high schools whose stadiums rivaled Fouts.

And, that is one of the reasons I understand little about the Darrell Dickey hatred. That the guy could string together three winning seasons in a row with only that dump to sell recruits?

I mean seriously recall going to Fouts - the concession stands and bathrooms, the track around the field - and compare it to Apogee. Not just Dickey, but every coach before McCarney had to show recruits, "This will be your home field for four years! Ready to sign up?"

So, what do we do now that we've had a coach take us to a bowl game - while coaching some record breaking players? We bitch about the players who set the records, along with their coach and his philosophy?

What the hell is the matter with us?

And, honestly, when I think about being dive-bombed by crickets on my way to the dilapidated bathroom at old Fouts, I have to admit that Rick Villareal would have to rape and murder a convent of nuns to move my needle to negative about him. How anyone can look from Fouts across I-35 with all of the new facilities we have for football and damn near every other sport and complain about Rick...it's just nuts.

Is it just the Generation Selfie posters who are complaining? Those of us who endured NT during the post-Corky I-AA run should never, ever, ever, ever complain about how we win.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

Those were dark, dark days, my friend. You also rarely saw NT clothing on students. You saw alot of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and OU. Not much NT pride...and, really, it was tough to muster back then. Even back then, most of us came from high schools whose stadiums rivaled Fouts.

And, that is one of the reasons I understand little about the Darrell Dickey hatred. That the guy could string together three winning seasons in a row with only that dump to sell recruits?

I mean seriously recall going to Fouts - the concession stands and bathrooms, the track around the field - and compare it to Apogee. Not just Dickey, but every coach before McCarney had to show recruits, "This will be your home field for four years! Ready to sign up?"

So, what do we do now that we've had a coach take us to a bowl game - while coaching some record breaking players? We bitch about the players who set the records, along with their coach and his philosophy?

What the hell is the matter with us?

And, honestly, when I think about being dive-bombed by crickets on my way to the dilapidated bathroom at old Fouts, I have to admit that Rick Villareal would have to rape and murder a convent of nuns to move my needle to negative about him. How anyone can look from Fouts across I-35 with all of the new facilities we have for football and damn near every other sport and complain about Rick...it's just nuts.

Is it just the Generation Selfie posters who are complaining? Those of us who endured NT during the post-Corky I-AA run should never, ever, ever, ever complain about how we win.

Better facilities come with higher expectations, but you know that.

Troll of the highest order.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Better facilities come with higher expectations, but you know that.

Troll of the highest order.

So, we should be like Texas - throw out the AD and coaches who bring us the most success on the field and the most upgrades in facilities?

That'd be all good and well if we were bringing in UT-type money. But, we're not.

Passing game gets most of the work in spring and fall camp for two reasons.

1. It helps prevent too much contact (getting guys hurt before the year)

2. Running the ball is running the ball, passing game always needs the most work as it deals with timing, reads etc. it is also a lot more fun to work on routes than pounding the ball down your teammates throats.

At least that's been my experience in the few short years I've coached.

Dan McCarney is still coaching this team and he is starting a QB that has never taken a college snap.

There will be no opening up of this offense.

unless.........

tumblr_kodwv6BtVb1qznd83o1_r1_500.jpg

“Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan, and told me that if I didn’t open up the offense, that he’d melt my brain.”

• Upvote 6

Didn't we see several gadget plays last year @ UGA? I'm thinking Mac is going to try & catch UT off guard a little. He knows NT has to strike quick, because the depth & talent level will be a major factor come 2nd half. At least I'm hoping we see this....

Didn't we see several gadget plays last year @ UGA? I'm thinking Mac is going to try & catch UT off guard a little. He knows NT has to strike quick, because the depth & talent level will be a major factor come 2nd half. At least I'm hoping we see this....

They are starting a true freshman that walked on at strong safety. I am sure we will take our shots. I don't think texas can shut our run with their base offense. Once they bring that 8th man in the box, it will either be the freshman safety coming up, or he will be left alone covering the secondary by himself. If we don't take our shots against a true freshman, then we will never be aggressive.

They also have 3 freshmen on the second team OL. They don't have as much depth as people think. They also have a freshman as a 2nd team corner.

Danny Mac to team: "Men, let me introduce you to a man who has squandered talent, alienated some of the best players we've had, and completely squashed the just-budding flower that was the basketball program. He's here to inspire you this weekend."

Danny Mac to team after Benford: "Now that we know what not to do..."

• Upvote 2