North Texas Mean Green vs. Old Dominion Monarchs - 2/13/14

Harry

So your under the impression that you cN drag a horse to water and make it drink. See I always heard the opposite. Sometimes things just do not mesh well. Maybe he needs to go. Let that be decided at the end of the year. I'm fine either way. I will always support UNT basketball and the next coach. I assume you know he has not imparted this knowledge because you have someone in the locker room?

The results on the court state differently.

• Upvote 1

How in the hell did we beat A&M on the road? Plus, Tony B. gets a 3rd year unless Ernie K. buys him out. Finally, I was at the UA@ Huntsville game, never played basketball past the 9th grade,and think we made a bad hire. That's all I got.

Few people would say he was the best option. However he did have JJ's backing to my knowledge. I liked Fran, but I didn't mind all of the connections Benford had. At the end of the day you support what you have until a change is made at the end of the season. I refuse to believe that someone who can be a head coach at the college level is a "bad" coach. Maybe not in the right place or have the right circumstance, but never a truly horrible coach. Very few would be considered that. Coaches are hired and make their way up the ranks from assistants for a reason.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

It's hard to find five guys who can run as a unit on the floor.

I found this lineup working great tonight and I believe Benford should have solved the puzzle a long time ago.

1. CJ

2. Vaughns

3. TJ

4. Maurice

5. Voss

The key is to never let CJ and Alzee be on the floor at the same time. Neither are outside threats and every team knows to stack the lane when they see either of them with the ball in their hands. This prevents our post players from receiving a clean pass and forces us to hopelessly swing it around the arc for 30+ seconds most possesions.

For a regular starting lineup that actually played the majority of the game together, I wouldn't complain much if it involved...

2. TJ

3. JW

Feel free to plug in Coleman/Gaines/Walton for a few minutes per night to rest the starters.

Alzee plays more minutes than anybody (28+) and I seriously think it should be less than half of that. For a guy that spends all his time at either guard position, his current assist total for the season doesn't benefit anything but his lay-up totals. If those lay-ups are the only production he is able to create, we need to let Vaughns (who plays almost half as many minutes and hardly any at PG) be the only backup PG to CJ since his assists per minute are far superior. The PG has got to be a distributor, and I think Vaughns is as good or not better at dribbling/passing than Alzee. Vaughns also forces more steals per minute so the "alzee plays great D" excuse is no longer in play (especially with the total # of 3's this team has allowed this season).

Tonight's best lineup didnt include either of our top 2 scorers but they produced more because they worked well together. I rarely get as angry at a game as I was tonight after this lineup took a 2 point lead after being down by 5, and Benford decided to mess with it by plugging in Coleman followed by Alzee.

I feel like I've kept relatively calm and quiet about this coach for a couple years now and I've done my best to keep from dogpiling him like most. I truly wish all of us could keep our complaints aimed at the new Scrappy costume and never at coaches or players. Tonight was just another display that is robbing the little hope i have left.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Maduro. I would replace. Vaughn's with J-Will because we would be giving up a ton of height but Vaughn's is our quickest player. He can keep his guy in front of him and when he has the ball he can beat his man to the hoop. Gaines, Colman, Walton, and Flannigan should play very few minutes. I liked said lineup with Alzee as the 6th man. I said this a few games ago. I did think they had it figured it out when I talked to someone who said coach has his fav 5.

Edited by Andrew

What has he done any different then any other coach? I have seen awful coaching. This is not awful coaching. I understand the coach will always take the blame. No he is not fantastic, but where has he been just terrible all game? He prepares them just like any other coach. Players who have transferred have said the practices are no different then at Cincinnati or Oklahoma. Obviously in practice he is not awful. They scout just like any other coaching group. Tell me in game an ex pal elf poor coaching? That has been consistently poor. What have you seen? I am not talki NT90 saying he turns to the bench and waves his arms. ODU coach did the same thing this game, as has Middle Tennessee and Tulane coach. No difference there. Again I just want an example of here he failed is besides putting up a W. He cannot make the free throws. He called out every baseline screen and knew where their guys were going to be tonight, if you were at the game you would have seen and heard it. Sometimes our guys were caught up in double or they just didn't get to their man in time. It just didn't work out.

In it's most basic form, he has failed to turn our athletes into winners... or motivate them properly to be able to win games... he has also failed to bring in talent to address needs of the team... i have no doubt the man 'understands' basketball and knows how to put players through workouts and prepare them with gameplans... as you have said thousands of people in the US can do this... but the difference between a good coach and a Tony Benford is the ability to capture victories...

without W's i could care less about how great his prepwork and practices are... I want to see results

• Upvote 1

Finally, I was at the UA@ Huntsville game, never played basketball past the 9th grade,and think we made a bad hire. That's all I got.

I think i officially lost faith last year during the UTA game, when I thought we played an amazing first 10-12 minutes of the game... running up and down the court and attacking... and then watched as we played 4 corners after that as the Mavs stomped us