Lack of Respect In Whornland

DeepGreen

Lack of respect on Mockingbird Lane too...I have a cousin in law that is a grad from The PONY. told a good friend of mine that he would not be going to Denton for the game since it will be a blow out and not very interesting...REALLY??

We are 2-0 against them in Denton. Even Todd Dodge managed to beat them.

• Upvote 1

We are 2-0 against them in Denton. Even Todd Dodge managed to beat them.

Not quite--Dickey beat them in his last season here, costing SMU and Phil Bennett a bowl bid, as they finished 5-7. The next year, Todd Dodge's team lost a tough one in Dallas, which was Phil Bennett's only win that year, which was his last.

• Upvote 1

Good Lord. I got the 1990 win vs SMU mixed up with Dodge somehow. In my defense I tried to blank out the Dodge years as much as possible and I did take a lot of blows to the head as a kid.

Still, only twice has the game been played in Denton. Dickey's team beat them 24-6 in 2006 behind the great Woody Wilson. Corky beat them 14-7 in 1990.

Let's keep this SMU losing in Denton streak alive.

The Todd Dodge game vs. SMU in Dallas was a blast of a game. One problem though - we didn't win.

I honestly thought that was the "turning point game" for NT. Our crowd there was BIG and LOUD. Boy was I wrong about the turning point thing.

Oh it was a turning point alright. Straight into the ground.

• Upvote 2

We came close twice in the 70's under Hayden Fry and, of course, we really won in 88, but it ain't gonna happen in 2014. D! inequality is similar to income inequality these days. I just hope our fans and team make a good showing and come away relatively unscathed. Often, a team will stumble a bit in it's first game under a new head coach, but Strong seems to be out to prove something quickly and we are his first chance.

On the other hand, I often reminisce about the halcyon days of my misspent youth and of a warm Saturday night in Little Rock when the impossible came so close to happening.

I rarely give UT 2 seconds of mental energy.

Like so many of you the 1988 experience at DKR Memorial told me all I need to know about how some whose very jobs were all

about being impartial still apparently let a school's long established legacy speak louder than their very principles.

The UT fans that night after our "loss?" showed much more class than the SWC referees. Some of that group were downright embarrassed with the home cookin' we received.

Just One More Time For You Newbies' ! :thumbsu:

This YouTube of the 1988 UT/North Texas final seconds says it all for all for you who haven't seen it:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Todd Dodge game vs. SMU in Dallas was a blast of a game. One problem though - we didn't win.

I honestly thought that was the "turning point game" for NT. Our crowd there was BIG and LOUD. Boy was I wrong about the turning point thing.

I thought the same thing that night "Stan R". What we failed to realize was that Dodge was still a high school coach with a high school defensive coordinator who couldn't park a bicycle. We have grown both in wisdom and resources since then.

Was the pylon not in-bounds back then?

No idea, but he didnt complete the catch till his elbows hit the ground 4 to 5 feet out of bounds. And again, this wasn't even the second worst call.

Years later the same official admitted to Dr. Rogers Redding that he blew the call by making light of it with a joke using the longhorn hand sign.

Rick