DW Training Evals

pastorgrant

The QB job will be won on the field not in the weight room.

No it will not be, but if the strength coach is reporting to Coach Mac & Canales that motivation and effort isn't there that's not a good offseason start. However, that was just one day of evaluation. 2 days ago he got stars across the board and Coach Wintrich said outstanding effort. Consistency seems to be lacking. I'm a DW fan, but I've said all long he's got to get his mind right or he'll be on the outside looking in.

The quarterback doesn't have to be Ivan Drago in the weight room, but he does have to give good effort. It does not seem like DW is doing that (and the other freshmen in the program seem to be doing just fine.). If this kid isn't giving effort in the weight room it would be likely he isn't giving effort somewhere else... on the practice field, the film room, the classroom? Doesn't sound like he is working like a Mac or Coach C QB. And I love these offseason public workout evaluations. It holds the players accountable, motivates them and puts pressure on them to perform.

• Upvote 1

I don't take too much of this to heart...yet. This is just a snapshot at a particular stage of conditioning. Some are already stepping up their workouts. They had excellent workouts in week 3 but for the period don't rank that high.

What concerns me most is the half-dozen or so that aren't working out. Are they gone from the program, or just excused from spring training? That list would include Cam Feldt, Antonio Johnson, Shawn McKinney, Trevor Melugin, Cody Nelson, Austin Orr and Jamarcus Jarvis. I believe someone said that Orr had undergone surgery and I believe that two or three have left but I worry about AJ and Big Mac.

I don't take too much of this to heart...yet. This is just a snapshot at a particular stage of conditioning. Some are already stepping up their workouts. They had excellent workouts in week 3 but for the period don't rank that high.

What concerns me most is the half-dozen or so that aren't working out. Are they gone from the program, or just excused from spring training? That list would include Cam Feldt, Antonio Johnson, Shawn McKinney, Trevor Melugin, Cody Nelson, Austin Orr and Jamarcus Jarvis. I believe someone said that Orr had undergone surgery and I believe that two or three have left but I worry about AJ and Big Mac.

Jarvis and Nelson are gone. Orr is recovering, but I'm not sure about the others.

I appreciate the Facebook workout updates, but then remember that there are those who will read faaaaaaaaaaaar too much into them.

Disagree here.

Especially for a leadership position like QB. The fact that that level of criticism is put out in public for one of the favorites to take over the QB position is extremely concerning.

DW better get it together or he is going to find himself on the bench come September.

Keep in mind, I'm in the camp that it is his job to lose. Sadly, it appears he is doing what will be necessary to lose the job.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Disagree here.

Especially for a leadership position like QB. The fact that that level of criticism is put out in public for one of the favorites to take over the QB position is extremely concerning.

DW better get it together or he is going to find himself on the bench come September.

Keep in mind, I'm in the camp that it is his job to lose. Sadly, it appears he is doing what will be necessary to lose the job.

I gotta agree with you 100% UNT90.

This is an old school coaching staff. They are going to look at the intangibles and they take what Wintrich says seriuosly. They are not going to put a player out there based on just physical talent. You have to be a leader, and you have to know your stuff off the field to get a shot.

I have read all the reports and comments. No way to misread or read too far into: Need to focus, need to be a leader, need to motivate, inconsistient, not working hard, etc. Dajon has 4 years to play, so he will be alright, but he may not be the starting QB next year at this pace. Not a knock on him because he will still be classified as a freshman and he will still have time to grow and mature.

• Upvote 2