2014 OOC schedule

TheColonyEagle

Since then, we have had Texas Southern, Idaho, and Ball State. And SMU for next year.

I still bet you that in 2015 and in 2017, we will have 5 home games and that RV will tell us that a game at SMU "might as well be a home game if we all show up and support the team". That way, we can save money and use it for future bought games to balance out our games against Florida, Tennessee, Iowa, etc...it really isn't that hard to see this happening.

We also got the long series with Army ... so Army and SMU will make up half of our non-conference schedule for many years.

* I don't know why people make a big deal that we still have an open game next year ... it's not a big deal at all.

* Currently we have only 5 home games on the 2015 schedule. That may or may not still be correct. If it is correct I don't expect it to stay that way. Mac makes such a big deal out of having 6 home games I'm sure they'll work something out. Again, it's not something to worry about.

* Of course, maybe worrying about our freaking schedule years from now IS worth it since it's hard to complain about the team ... or the crowds ... or the conference ... or whatever y'all usually complain about. So I guess if it's just have to complain ALL THE TIME then go ahead and complain about the schedule years from now. Or better yet, move over to the basketball forum. There's so much to complain about there it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Upvote 5

I have to say, it isn't as big a deal to me. I will definitely enjoy the trip to Ford in 2015 and the other years as well. The Tennessee game had been on the books for years and had to be played sometime. Might as well get it over with. At least we will get to stuff some money in the bank assuming one of the two is not bought out that year with the OOC changes that are happening in the B1G. Might even work out where we get paid to not play.

I look at others in the Go5 and they all have seasons where they go through the same issue from time to time. We actually have the ability to start a home/home as soon as 2017, with a 'buy a home game' in 2018, if we want to go that way. It will be interesting to see if we can get attendance and MGC to the point were we don't play anymore bodybag games starting in 2018.

If we don't need the funds, we would be able to start scheduling additional H/H with conferences like the Mac, MWC, AAC, and maybe even an occasional P5 team.

Just keep winning.

* I don't know why people make a big deal that we still have an open game next year ... it's not a big deal at all.

* Currently we have only 5 home games on the 2015 schedule. That may or may not still be correct. If it is correct I don't expect it to stay that way. Mac makes such a big deal out of having 6 home games I'm sure they'll work something out. Again, it's not something to worry about.

OR

It could be because this AD promised 6 home games before. And then 2012 happened. 5 home games, one against an FCS team.

When you violate trust, it causes people to question whether you mean what you say. I was one of the people who said not to worry about 2011. I figured people would do what they said they would do and arrangements would be made.

They weren't.

2015 is a done deal. 5 home games is all we will have (unless Iowa cancels with us. We will not spend money to buy out of this series).

You don't want to worry about the future? Cool. Unfortunately, you can't run a program that way.

We need to do whatever needs to be done to get out of the Iowa series. That is a team that we should have negotiated a 1 and 1 with, not a 2-0.

Just really bad long term scheduling.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OR

It could be because this AD promised 6 home games before. And then 2011 happened. 5 home games, one against an FCS team.

When you violate trust, it causes people to question whether you mean what you say. I was one of the people who said not to worry about 2011. I figured people would do what they said they would do and arrangements would be made.

They weren't.

2015 is a done deal. 5 home games is all we will have (unless Iowa cancels with us. We will not spend money to buy out of this series).

You don't want to worry about the future? Cool. Unfortunately, you can't run a program that way.

We need to do whatever needs to be done to get out of the Iowa series. That is a team that we should have negotiated a 1 and 1 with, not a 2-0.

Just really bad long term scheduling.

2012 was the 5-game home schedule.

While I don't agree with the strategy I can definitely understand the logic. There will be more green shirts in the crowd than red and I am pretty sure you can take that to the bank.

Completely unacceptable.

Don't try to sell a F'n road game against SMU as a quasi home game.

Do your damn job and schedule better.

• Upvote 2

We can't.

We have scheduled so poorly that we have no flexibility to do one and ones before 2018, unless a team will agree to play here in 2014 or 2015 and wait until 2018 or 2019 for the return game at their place. Not necessarily unheard of, but nothing a really marketable team would agree to do.

We are in a box, and buying games is the only way out. Either that, or 5 game home seasons. We have one of those teed up for 2015.

Terrible, terrible, terrible scheduling.

With SMU on the schedule - home and home - for 12 years how can you say this?

Completely unacceptable.

I'm starting to grow more and more scared that they will do that.

After a bowl game this year and next year we should have plenty of money to bring in teams like Idaho for a money game of our own.

Completely unacceptable.

Maybe RV will take the recently opened job at Arizona State, or a resulting one in the upcoming chain reaction, and the new AD says "sorry, Iowa, but that ain't happenin'"

• Upvote 4

You know...they say that if one takes that little blue pill and your business is still with you after four hours you probably should check with your doctor.

Someone needs a referral bad! Seems like that hard just stays around no matter what the topic. Just sayin' that maybe it's time to lighten up a bit...life is usually so much more enjoyable that way for both you and those around you.

Not mentioning any names mind you.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

With SMU on the schedule - home and home - for 12 years how can you say this?

So scheduling a local team that has had 3(?) bowl years in the past 20 plus justifies numerous 5 game home seasons?

No.

We all were told OOC home games would draw more high profile teams in Apogee Stadium.

It hasn't

We have 2 money games and only 5 home games scheduled for 2015.

Why?

Like I said, this AD violated trust when he failed to get a 6 game home schedule in 2012. The second year in a brand new stadium. Look further down the line and you see how inflexible the scheduling situation has become.

And I here people saying "Iowa has 9 conference game, they have to buy out one of their 3 OOC games. Maybe it will be us>" Why have we been put in a position to have to hope that a CONTRACT gets cancelled in order to have scheduling flexability?

I'm warning you guys that SMU will be sold as an "alternate site home game". They really don't have a choice at this point in time. .

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I'm warning you guys that SMU will be sold as an "alternate site home game". They really don't have a choice at this point in time. .

If they do that I would agree with you that it would be disingenuous. They haven't done that YET so I'm not jumping to any conclusions!

tumblr_lon5josiZy1qzmr3jo1_500.jpg

So scheduling a local team that has had 3(?) bowl years in the past 20 plus justifies numerous 5 game home seasons?

No.

We all were told OOC home games would draw more high profile teams in Apogee Stadium.

It hasn't

We have 2 money games and only 5 home games scheduled for 2015.

Why?

Like I said, this AD violated trust when he failed to get a 6 game home schedule in 2012. The second year in a brand new stadium. Look further down the line and you see how inflexible the scheduling situation has become.

And I here people saying "Iowa has 9 conference game, they have to buy out one of their 3 OOC games. Maybe it will be us>" Why have we been put in a position to have to hope that a CONTRACT gets cancelled in order to have scheduling flexability?

Your SMU as a home game argument is your weakest yet.

• Upvote 3

Not sure why it is a bad thing to have a long series with SMU and Army. Both recent games with them were in the top 10 attendance list. Plenty of fans will come out, which last time I checked is a good thing.

Also everyone bitches about rivalries. 10 or so years straight of SMU sounds like a good start. I guess 90 just wants UTSA to be our rival...

SMU has a rival and we will never be it. We may not like each other but they will never be a real rival. UTSA is a good fit because they need a in conference rival and so do we.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Once the opportunity presents itself in a few years, and assuming they are not in CUSA. I wonder what RV's thought would be to signing a multiple year home/he with TSU-SM? Could sign it opposit of our utsa game in order to keep an Austin/SA presence each year. Maybe same idea with UH opposit Rice.

Throw SMU and Army in there and that would be a pretty solid group of 4 OOC games for us and would not require bodybag games. Of course it would be nice to get a P5 in a home/home as well, but I see that as a lot less likely. UNM or Colo St would work as well.

Not sure why it is a bad thing to have a long series with SMU and Army. Both recent games with them were in the top 10 attendance list. Plenty of fans will come out, which last time I checked is a good thing.

Also everyone bitches about rivalries. 10 or so years straight of SMU sounds like a good start. I guess 90 just wants UTSA to be our rival...

Not bitching about SMU, but also not in the "well, we scheduled SMU for 12 years straight, so our work is done here. Bring on those 5 home game schedules" boat, either.

If you are happy with 5 home game season, good for you. I'm not. It isn't what I was led to believe would happen when making a considerable season ticket commitment. It has already happened once and is set to happen twice in the first 5 years of Apogee's existence.

I guess that is fine with you. It is not fine with me.

UTSA who?

In the grand scheme of things, a five home game schedule with a game in Dallas against SMU and having just one OOC game at Apogee being Army is still way better than what 2012 gave us. Also, if we still need a money game, and it appears that we still will, then the games at Iowa, Tennessee, Florida, and Texas are not going to change anytime soon. I still think CUSA will go the same route as the others, by playing 9 conference games, which gives teams the opportunity to schedule 1 or 2 bodybag games, with 1 or 2 even series, and 1 bought win (FCS or FBS dreg). We will have that, when CUSA starts playing 9 conference games, too.

I have come around to giving RV a little bit of a break on this stuff. OOC scheduling has been atrocious here for years, but it is just getting harder, as the AQs circle their wagons even tighter. When the conferences go to 9 games, seeing an AQ team here anytime soon is just not gonna happen. Especially when you factor in the DFW location already being full of AQ games, I just don't see where an AQ would come here. If you're Okie State, you have 9 Big XII games right now. That leaves you three games left to schedule. If you have a year where you have 4 home conference games, they aren't going to schedule a road game out of the three remaining games in OOC at a non-AQ in an area they already play in every ear to pull local recruits down to watch them play in Ft. Worth or Waco. They'll schedule 2 home-and-home series, most likely against other AQ leagues, and then buy a home game against someone else. OSU is no different than any other AQ in that equation--you could replace them with Tech, Baylor, KU, KSU, ISU, etc...

RV, for the thrid time, I apologize for my scheduling rants for our future OOC schedule. There's not much you can do about it in today's college football world to get AQ teams to sign a home-and-home series with us in the future.

• Upvote 1

Wait, a team can have only one rival?

A few fans on here consider SMU a rival but that's not the case. SMU does not consider us a rival one bit. To a degree in their delusional minds a lot of them including their old guard probably refuse to acknowledge us. Teams can have multiple rivals but as of right now there is no "Rivalry" between NT and SMU IMO.

• Downvote 1

I agree that SMU is not a rival. But after 12 years they sure might be.

90, I guess I don't see scheduling as locked in or done until that season. We have cancelled contracts and changed around schedules before. And other teams have done the same with us. I obviously cant guarantee they will, but 2015 is still a ways away. My assumption (only an assumption) is that one of the two big names will change or get cancelled. That is why I am not as worried as you are. I know they want 6 home games a year. Now they just have to make it happen.

Let's continue to voice our concerns and see how it plays out. In the end, that is about all that is left.

Which is why I am persistent on this point. No one was persisent in 2012, and we got a crap home schedule and excuses. Because there is never anyone at fault for anything with this program.

You say schedules have changed before. I would love some specifics on this claim. Not that I think you aren't telling the truth, I just fldont think it's as common as you suggest. These are contracts. To break them, both sides must agree.

I don't think that is a common occurrence.

I know Air Force cancelled on and didn't give the return game. I forget the specifics.

We bought out a school (Miami?) and signed on for bigger money against someone else for that same season a few years ago (LSU?Bama?) and I think it was not that far ahead of the season.

I am fairly sure that KSt tried to get out of the 2010 game and we refused so we could keep them for the Fouts finale.

It doesn't always work out, but schools do move/cancel or at least try to move/cancel games and usually work with each other to do so. With the Big10 changing their conference schedules, one would think there will be games moved or bought out over the net couple of years.

We will see. Until then, preach on.

You are correct about K-State. My concern is that with the new A.A.C.,S.M.U. may need to alter its schedule. While we consider them as a rival, as pointed out, they certainly don't consider us one.