Dan the Man

Harry

What a job being done out in Denton, Tex., by Dan McCarney & Company. Thursday nights win over Rice in a battle for first place in Conference USAs West division no less was the sixth on the season for North Texas, pushing the Mean Green to bowl eligibility for the first time since 2004. Following that New Orleans Bowl appearance, UNT won just 13 games in six seasons; the Mean Green have now won 15 in McCarneys two-plus seasons. Add in some very significant health issues on McCarneys part earlier this offseason, and you have one of those feel-good stories going on in the state of Texas. And, somewhere, Big Ben Kercheval is smiling. And likely still blind drunk.

Read More: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/the-fifth-quarter-week-10-rewind-2/

I thought NT's defense did pretty well against Georgia's Gurley who had 114 total yards and one TD against our defense. Now I feel even better about that effort.

You go Gurley

Do you think Todd Gurley was missed? The immensely talented running back missed the last three games with a high-ankle sprain; not so coincidentally, Georgia lost two of those. The super sophomore returned for the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party Saturday and, in between trips to the locker room and/or sidelines due to exhaustion, made an immediate impact. Gurley touched the ball 20 times 17 carries, three receptions and totaled 187 yards and two touchdowns in the Bulldogs bounce-back win over Florida. Gurley was far from the only factor in the win, but he was most certainly a big enough one that itll have a good chunk of UGA Nation playing the what if? game over his extended sabbatical.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Coach M. has done a fantastic job of changing the culture of our football team...and program. He has made inroads into changing our overall school culture, but THAT is really not his job.

Changing the culture of the football team (especially the defense) is pretty much what he needs to focus on. Where he needs to improve is letting our OC run the offense. He gets too conservative when we take the lead.

• Upvote 2

It's not just that we're all of a sudden winning. It's that we're winning by hitting so damn hard that the opposing teams are slinking out of the locker room for the second half with fear in their eyes. I don't know if I've ever watch a football team wherein I've thought to myself, "Alright! The other team has the ball!"

Exactly. Our defense has so much swagger and confidence that I'm more confident when we're on defense than when we're on offense.

It's not just that we're all of a sudden winning. It's that we're winning by hitting so damn hard that the opposing teams are slinking out of the locker room for the second half with fear in their eyes. I don't know if I've ever watch a football team wherein I've thought to myself, "Alright! The other team has the ball!"

THIS...

Over the last 3-4 games i haven't even had to worry about the offense because the defense has been playing out of this world...

Mac is the one that is conservative without a doubt. He tells them to run. He is pretty safe across the board.

It is good for now, (in the future) he will eventually have to evolve if we want to reach a higher level and start getting ranked.

His style is going to be hard to recruit big time offensive talent that has dreams of going pro and putting up big numbers.

We will also need to blow teams out to impress the pollsters like Baylor is doing this year. I understand that he just wants to secure wins right now...but if we have a similar season against similar talent next year, the we will need to do more.