THE STAND

Green Otaku

Already been said, but after that beastly performance it bears saying again...best goal line stand I've ever seen. Even after Rice got bailed out by the refs on the 1st 4th down. Unbelievable! That was championship defense. So glad I was there to see it in person.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1

Technically, wasn't it 9 or10 if you include the defensive "penalties" which negated the play

That play with Abbe pinned was outrageous. What do you call for pinning a player down and humping him?

There was one play earlier in the game, with a Rice player running towards the NT sideline. One of our secondary nearly had the back of his jersey pulled off, right in front of two officials. Nothing.

The play where our DB had his jersey yanked was the worst no call of the night. It even occurred right in front of an official with a good angle of the play. Especially considering that the tv replay didn't show a hold I could see on the defensive holding call in the end done that extended the stand.
  • Upvote 1

NT video Dept... whoever you are... make that series a youtube vid on it's own...

similar to the hit... that stand needs to be available to everyone, whenever they need a pick me up at work

Let's not forget the tremendous hits delivered by the UNT defense. Lee is a human cannonball.

• Upvote 1

I think the non-holding call to which you guys refer was committed against Zach Orr, not a DB.

Several on here talk about the missed holding calls. They weren't missed. They just simply were not called.

I don't know why CUSA refs hate this team.

The Rice LT big #79 was completely overmatched by the speed and quickness of our ends and he literally held on 90% of snaps it was blatant and obvious and still not being called. Unreal!

• Upvote 1

so Lee's hit on that last 4th down scramble was the perfect exclamation point to that STAND, but my favorite play was when they tried to option it out (again. I thought they would have learned after the first 2-3 times that it wasn't working for them) to the short side of the field and James Jones slipped around his block, picked up the RB and slammed him to the ground at the 2.

does anyone know how much time the stand took?

I know they had the 8 plays... only 2 on which the play was stopped by incompletions and then one more for a timeout...

but i'm thinking after the initial gain to the 1, they must have wasted about 3 minutes trying to score...

the best part about the stand was that it took 8 plays... yielded no points... and ate up a HUGE amount of clock

so Lee's hit on that last 4th down scramble was the perfect exclamation point to that STAND, but my favorite play was when they tried to option it out (again. I thought they would have learned after the first 2-3 times that it wasn't working for them) to the short side of the field and James Jones slipped around his block, picked up the RB and slammed him to the ground at the 2.

The announcers kept saying Lee had concrete in his pads because of the hits, was awesome.

does anyone know how much time the stand took?

I know they had the 8 plays... only 2 on which the play was stopped by incompletions and then one more for a timeout...

but i'm thinking after the initial gain to the 1, they must have wasted about 3 minutes trying to score...

the best part about the stand was that it took 8 plays... yielded no points... and ate up a HUGE amount of clock

That 8 play series started around the 12:00 mark and ended about 4 minutes later. A lot of time was used for zero points.

Technically, wasn't it 9 or10 if you include the defensive "penalties" which negated the play

No, we didn't get called for a defensive penalty till after we held on 4th down the first time. We were called on several penalties earlier in the drive though where it kept the drive alive. We actually bailed them out on about three 4th down plays with penalties (one around mid-feld...one about the 25 or so...and then the goal line).

Edited by CMJ