C-USA Expansion Rumors

letsgiveacheer

I would like to have UAB and USM from the east to the west.

Why UAB as a first choice for the West when USM is the more western of the two? Many don't know but the refusal of the MVC to add USM and instead call a secret meeting of the expansion committee excluding member Hayden Fry to add Illinois State and Indiana State was the reason North Texas said good bye to the MVC and went Indy.

• Upvote 2

Why UAB as a first choice for the West when USM is the more western of the two? Many don't know but the refusal of the MVC to add USM and instead call a secret meeting of the expansion committee excluding member Hayden Fry to add Illinois State and Indiana State was the reason North Texas said good bye to the MVC and went Indy.

And that decision was a big mistake IMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Had we stayed in the MVC, North Texas would have likely been a charter member in CUSA. But Hayden Fry was a very good salesman . He convinced most NT fans, certainly me, that with a slight push, North Texas would be asked to join the then Southwest Conference. We all wanted to believe. The "Norte Dame of the South" he said we would be.

I think most decision makers at the time believed what he said, but in retrospect, the move to independent probably did more to hurt North Texas than anything else. Even the drop down to Division 1-AA that followed.

The future is now. Beat Southern Mississippi ( "i"s and "s"s. What fun). Then beat everybody else

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

IF anyone were to be added I would hope CUSA would go after someone like NIU, then Army or Navy, other than that I don't really see many options to raise the league's profile. I don't think any Sunbelt schools should be added including UL and Ark. State.

I'd take Abilene Christian University over another Sun Belt school at this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IF anyone were to be added I would hope CUSA would go after someone like NIU, then Army or Navy, other than that I don't really see many options to raise the league's profile. I don't think any Sunbelt schools should be added including UL and Ark. State.

ULL is probably worthy but I don't think La. Tech would support it. There is a lot of hate brewing there due to some type of name usage issue with ULL.

Rules:

1) No football, no entry. Period. Looking at you, Denver.

2) No more FCS transitional/complete startups. There's a Karl Benson conference for that.

3) Preferably no more Sunbelt teams. This pretty much leaves the MAC, and I don't know why any of those schools would move.

4) If schools like Tulane, Central Florida, East Carolina, et al ever want to come back, make 'em pay for it.

• Upvote 3

Why do we need to add anyone at this point? I think the conference is fine as it is.

If you are looking at it that way, Georgia State is where you go. Large TV market gives you more $$. Other than that, not sure that you would do much.

Agree. And we cant forget the teams that are joining next year. Maybe we don't need to expand at all?

Looks like Old Dominion is going to be pretty good. They played ECU earlier this year and played them pretty close (ODU-31 : ECU-35 at the end of the 3rd quarter). They should come in and be competitive immediately... especially in the East.

UNC-Charlotte is a 100% startup. They don't even have the same head start UTSA had. They should be pounded pretty hard for years to come, so we certainly don't need any more startups.

Some of us did know that failing to add USM (and excluding Hayden Fry from the decision) was the reason that North Texas left the MVC and agreed that leaving was the best decision.

I wasn't aware that UAB was a first choice for the West but they will be the logical choice once Charlotte begins conference play. I fugured that thw West would consist of UTEP, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, LaTech, Southern Miss and UAB in 2014. The East would have only six teams next year...Marshall, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic and FIU. Why have UAB switch divisions after Charlotte is eligible for conference (football) play?

• Upvote 1