UNT Getting A Little Respect These Days

KRAM1

Goes to show what a good win does for the image of the school. We talk about the large number of alumni in DFW and this "sleeping giant"

Sales guy walks into my office this afternoon, (I work in Dallas) notices my UNT polo. "hey mean green.....you guys win a few games and you come out of the wood works. I've noticed several UNT shirts out and about today. Who you got this weekend?"

It really is scary what is pent up in DFW among alumni and what could happen if we keep winning...

All we need to do is win. Nothing else.

• Upvote 4

I'll say, the frat douchers that stay outside on the hill at least wear UNT gear now. Progress?

I don't know if this was written condescendingly, but I took it as such. It's all part of the atmosphere. I'm glad they're there drinking beer on the hill socializing, and not anywhere but there. The only place better would be inside the stadium, but anywhere else but the hill would be worse.
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if this was written condescendingly, but I took it as such. It's all part of the atmosphere. I'm glad they're there drinking beer on the hill socializing, and not anywhere but there. The only place better would be inside the stadium, but anywhere else but the hill would be worse.

Agreed.

• Upvote 1

Thousands of cars are driving by on I-35 during the game. I guess that's part of the "atmosphere" too, but I don't see it being of much benefit to winning. Maybe we should put up signs, "Honk if you know there's a game going on over here!".

• Upvote 1

I'll say, the frat douchers that stay outside on the hill at least wear UNT gear now. Progress?

Some fraternities support better than others, but if we start winning 6+ games a year most will be inside the stadium, and some won't. For some people it's just about the party and the game is irrelevant, and nothing is going to change that. I work with a guy that went to a top tier SEC school (as far as football goes) and we were talking about stadium atmosphere and such and he said he never went into the games, instead they stayed outside at the tailgate and watched on TV....I don't understand it, but every college has these people, so in five years when we are getting 7-9 wins every year and winning bowl games, don't get too upset when you still see people up on the hill partying their tails off.

Nah, I know this is part of college football everywhere and 100-1 would rather them be there than not. I just believe lots of frat guys look like huge douchers.

• Upvote 1

Nah, I know this is part of college football everywhere and 100-1 would rather them be there than not. I just believe lots of frat guys look like huge douchers.

And so do many non-fraternity guys. Some even open their mouths or type things to remove any doubt.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not trying to be negative but in reference to the sleeping giant in DFW...how was the reception during 2001-2004 when we were on a roll? I was in high school at the time in North Ft. Worth and I don't remember much buzz about UNT despite the success.

Does having the new stadium and facilities make it different if we have success this year and going forward?

I hope people getting excited, trust me, I'm just afraid the athletic department still doesn't know how to think like a "big time" program to get people pumped up about NT football.

I'm not trying to be negative but in reference to the sleeping giant in DFW...how was the reception during 2001-2004 when we were on a roll? I was in high school at the time in North Ft. Worth and I don't remember much buzz about UNT despite the success.

Does having the new stadium and facilities make it different if we have success this year and going forward?

I hope people getting excited, trust me, I'm just afraid the athletic department still doesn't know how to think like a "big time" program to get people pumped up about NT football.

Winning the Sun belt and getting smashed in OOC didn't help.

Some fraternities support better than others, but if we start winning 6+ games a year most will be inside the stadium, and some won't. For some people it's just about the party and the game is irrelevant, and nothing is going to change that. I work with a guy that went to a top tier SEC school (as far as football goes) and we were talking about stadium atmosphere and such and he said he never went into the games, instead they stayed outside at the tailgate and watched on TV....I don't understand it, but every college has these people, so in five years when we are getting 7-9 wins every year and winning bowl games, don't get too upset when you still see people up on the hill partying their tails off.

It really is no different at the very top.

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/09/university_of_alabama_suspends_1.html

This decision and article that goes with it has more to do with the renewed segregation controversies within Alabama's greek system, but it also shows that even with the Tide, the frats are the last ones in, first ones out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1mqhpg/university_of_alabama_suspends_block_seating_for/

I have never understood the disdain for fraternity and sorority members from those like we see here on GMG.com. The members are often the most engaged in university activities including intercollegiate sports. And, these folks are often donors after they graduate. Why? Because they were involved in campus life and built lasting friendships who are also UNT grads. Sure, some act in different ways, but so do non-Greeks...or haven't you noticed? More Greeks support athletics than don't, but, sure they party on the hill and some never make it to the games. As to dress...well, the short shorts, boots and white shirts thing started with the sororities, and that certainly is not a bad thing, right?

Would I like to see them all enter Apogee for games...of course. But, even those staying on the hill and helping to create a great game day atmosphere are doing more to support UNT than all the students who never show up at all. Just my opinion. Don't understand this anti-Greek attitude from some folks...never have, doubt I ever will. Remember, if they are on the hill there is a much higher chance that they will come to the game than there is for a student sitting in their dorm room, apartment or driving to Dallas.

So, thanks to all the Greeks, and especially those actually going to the game, on the Hill helping to create a great game day atmosphere. I recall the days at UNT when this sort of thing was only a dream.

Well, we're not get any respect from the ESPN Gameday crew. About our chances of upsetting Georgia, they said, "No chance. That's a stat game, they (Georgia) will take the starters out at halftime."

Any publicity is good publicity, right?

Yes...yes it is! Would you predict a UNT win over Georgia on national TV? Doubtful. What chance would you give if you were being honest?

That being said, upsets do happen, and the Mean Green is ready for that upset opportunity. This team will play hard and win or lose, the Georgia folks will leave with a new found respect for the Mean Green and a bunch more folks will know who we are...so, good PR...sure, I'll take it.

I wish Fowler would give us respect. He just refereed to us as North Texas State on Gameday. We might as well go back to NTSU, we might get more recognition.

The AQ media admits they don't even care about non-AQs, unless its Boise State. The NTSU reference and the negative remarks are just more salt to the wounds up here. Until we win one of these games, this crap will continue, both regionally and nationally.

Yes...yes it is! Would you predict a UNT win over Georgia on national TV? Doubtful. What chance would you give if you were being honest?

That being said, upsets do happen, and the Mean Green is ready for that upset opportunity. This team will play hard and win or lose, the Georgia folks will leave with a new found respect for the Mean Green and a bunch more folks will know who we are...so, good PR...sure, I'll take it.

Where in my post did I say I disagreed with their prediction? ;) What peeves me is not that they said we're going to lose, but how they said it and how quickly they dismissed "North Texas State" as being non-competitive.

Where in my post did I say I disagreed with their prediction? ;) What peeves me is not that they said we're going to lose, but how they said it and how quickly they dismissed "North Texas State" as being non-competitive.

Did not say you did...just asked if you would.

So, got a little Mean Green respect at DFW on the way out last Friday, and it happened again on the return trip. As my wife and I boarded the bus to our car location, a guy says...so who was it that you guts played last Saturday? Georgia right? You guys gave them all they wanted and then some! Then the couple beside him starting talking about the game and all the good things they are hearing about UNT these days. Turns out they were all A&M grads...al about 55-60 years old. Really great to hear all this and the recognition and respect UNT is gaining around the area these days. Of course I was wearing UNT gear both going and coming. Of course...

Good things are happening folks...if you don't see it you are not looking and not paying attention. Good stuff...great stuff!

• Upvote 2