UTSA Fans predict C-USA wins and losses

Harry

But hey they might look waayyy down on UTSA this upcoming season as well, especially if players are anything like your fans. So be careful...could be an upset alert!! Might get us on ESPN since UNT is waayyyyyyyyyyy better so it would be a monumental win for us.

Respect is earned, not given....so sit down and shut up rookie.

• Upvote 5

A loss shows we aren't committed to athletics. A loss shows that Apogee makes us a dressed up pig.

Dodge's last year showed we have no commitment.

Benford getting another year shows we have no commitment.

If we lose to UTSA, then it's clear we have no commitment.

Why should I commit if we don't?

It's clear our administration thinks lowly of sports...it's all about overpriced student unions we don't need and buildings for bad academic programs...instead of buildings for things we're good at or need. If we lose to UTSA, there's no reason to be an active follower of NT football anymore. Admin doesn't want to win, or just doesn't care.

Why would I, then?

If we lost, Mac wouldn't get fired either...which is more proof. (To be clear, HUGE Mac fan. Hope he succeeds.)

I'm not a fan who will jump off at any second, but the UTSA game is a benchmark showing me if we matter or not.

A loss says we don't matter at the big sports and the administration is cool with that. Despite all the recent donations to athletics, stadiums, etc...if we are OK with getting passed up by a JuCo, then we should hang it up and alumni should stop donating to athletics and focus on academic donations solely. If we lose, I see no reason to keep rooting for us in football. Period. I see why our alumni end up so disconnected, honestly. It's not that we lose, it's that admin doesn't care. After Dickey, what do we do? Hire a high school coach, instead of a big name proven coach to push us over the top for monetary reasons. Or, wait until 20 years after Fouts' expiration date to do anything about it, resulting in us missing out on the first wave of realignment, which likely would have had us in a much better spot than we are now. Oh, and watching a school like a TC-freaking-U become the school of the metroplex in regards to football. Disgusting.

Personally, I find it embarrassing that a school as large and as old as us are still hanging around the lower rung of college football as it is.

That being said, we will win and win big in our breakout season.

There is so much categorically wrong with this that I've rewritten my response way too many times, trying to calm down. At least you ended on a positive note... Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But hey they might look waayyy down on UTSA this upcoming season as well, especially if players are anything like your fans. So be careful...could be an upset alert!! Might get us on ESPN since UNT is waayyyyyyyyyyy better so it would be a monumental win for us.

How is that stadium fund coming along?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So is the right to look down on teams. NT hasn't done anything to gain that right even against start ups.

I don't get it,,, we don't play you guys until November 9th,,, until then I suspect many of the UNT fans will want you to do well -- I mean we're in the same conference now it does C-USA little good for you to get your @ss handed to you in non conference etc... why not go pester some New Mexico (Mountain West) fans since they are on your schedule before us?

You are right -- you have to earn respect. Last season we were a 4-8 team that could have easily been 6-6 but didn't get it done on the field. So no we aren't boasting about last season. Most of us are still pi$$ed about that and eager to prove we are better. I'm ok with good natured smack talk but you keep insinuating that we think we are better than we are...I don't think our fans think that - at least not the educated ones who have been attending games and following the program for awhile. We do aspire to be better and our commitment to facilities, coaching, moving up in conferences is evidence of that.

Based on the schedule you played last year Texas A&M Commerce, Georgia State, Northwest Oklahoma State, McNeese State etc... other than your attendance - you really shouldn't be boasting about anything either right now.

This has always been the problem at NT we have no loyal fan base. Win or lose they are our team and we need to support them. i hope we make a big step in the win column this year but if we dont i will be back next year. We need to bring in that lady who sang for the razorbacks after their big loss to cheer us all up. I loved that video! i have already developed a dislike for the University of Texas at El Paso in San Antonio, TX.

• Upvote 4

What the Roadrunner needs to understand is that UNT was the guy everyone has bullied over the decades. (Being snubbed from the SWC where everybody in Texas who matters played in and they are still feeling the effects of that today. They were also forced to drop down to FCS, were snubbed from the original CUSA where TCU,UH,Louisville,SMU, Cincy, USF, UCF had epic battles with each other while they looked from the outside with grief and envy.) When they first proposed demolishing Fouts, they were laughed at and ridiculed. They have been down in the dumps for a very long time.

Then comes UTSA out of nowhere and they are simply handed an invite to the conference UNT tried so hard to belong to. Then they hear about UTSAs impressive crowds and decent city coverage. All of this in only 3 short years. UTSA is now on the same level UNT fought for painful decades, losing generation after generation of students.

Think of UNT being that fat ugly chick who lost a crapload of weight, got a new hairdo and is the talk of the town for half a second but here comes this slightly prettier girl who captures everybodys attention without putting in the work she had. That girl is UTSA.

As a psychologist, I can tell you that its a psychological complex amongst UNT fans having to reassure themselves that they are better than UTSA even though there is evidence that seems to point to the contrary.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

What the Roadrunner needs to understand is that UNT was the guy everyone has bullied over the decades. (Being snubbed from the SWC where everybody in Texas who matters played in and they are still feeling the effects of that today. They were also forced to drop down to FCS, were snubbed from the original CUSA where TCU,UH,Louisville,SMU, Cincy, USF, UCF had epic battles with each other while they looked from the outside with grief and envy.) When they first proposed demolishing Fouts, they were laughed at and ridiculed. They have been down in the dumps for a very long time.

Then comes UTSA out of nowhere and they are simply handed an invite to the conference UNT tried so hard to belong to. Then they hear about UTSAs impressive crowds and decent city coverage. All of this in only 3 short years. UTSA is now on the same level UNT fought for painful decades, losing generation after generation of students.

Think of UNT being that fat ugly chick who lost a crapload of weight, got a new hairdo and is the talk of the town for half a second but here comes this slightly prettier girl who captures everybodys attention without putting in the work she had. That girl is UTSA.

As a psychologist, I can tell you that its a psychological complex amongst UNT fans having to reassure themselves that they are better than UTSA even though there is evidence that seems to point to the contrary.

I have to admit, your posts are pretty funny, Toad Boy. :D

Sadly, your analysis is pretty spot on, IMO. Us NT fans must use the physical strength we gained lugging our fat chick bodies around all those years to pound the pretty little tinkerbell into the ground. She can't enter the club before us, we just bought a new thong, had a new tramp stamp inked, and need to show our stuff.

• Upvote 4

And as a non psychologist I can tell you that you have a severe case of YCKOA*

*You Can Kiss Our A$$

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

lol'd hard

And I do see that, I made a similar but less funny analogy not too long ago. UTSA fans aren't boasting about anything btw, I'm just disproving the notion that our game is an easy W. No win is a given for NT given how bad theyve been in recent yrs.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

lol'd hard

And I do see that, I made a similar but less funny analogy not too long ago. UTSA fans aren't boasting about anything btw, I'm just disproving the notion that our game is an easy W. No win is a given for NT given how bad theyve been in recent yrs.

UTSA is.

Ice is cold.

Rain is wet.

2+2=4

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hah froggy is a psychologist like I'm miles davis. Even tcu fans shun him. Can't wait to hear what he has to say tomorrow when his timer expires.

I like that utsa fans hate us. I dont give a rats ass about them other than they are another team that stands in the way of a bowl game. Of course there is no sure win, but if both teams come ready to play, we should win. As they get up to speed I would expect that gap to shrink.

There's no pinning macs job or one's fan support to one game. Get to a bowl game this year and all is water under the bridge, and improvement is displayed. Its crazy we are having this discussion so far away; it makes me think that cusa is paying off for us.

And tcu guy is jumping up and down reminding us that he still needs a pat on the head for being special.

• Upvote 1

Too funny but true. A hundred year old football school afraid of a three year old football team. Hey UNT BOOOOO! scared you!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

What was UTSA's record against true FBS teams? I think that will speak plenty regarding their possible capability.

in 2012 UTSA was 4-4 against D1-A schools and 2-0 against D1-AA schools

north Texas was 3-8 against D1-A schools and 1-0 against D1-AA schools

so with 3 less opportunities UTSA had one more win against D1-A teams than north Texas did

• Upvote 1

in 2012 UTSA was 4-4 against D1-A schools and 2-0 against D1-AA schools

north Texas was 3-8 against D1-A schools and 1-0 against D1-AA schools

so with 3 less opportunities UTSA had one more win against D1-A teams than north Texas did

237 characters. This may be a new record for GL2G.

• Upvote 2

This thread is so weird. I see how we definitely SHOULD win this game just like we SHOULD expect support for all of our programs...but with things finally coming along to where it looks like the admin, alums, and students are finally starting to give a damn like they should have years ago, I don't see how reason would dictate that a loss in a particular game means that the momentum we finally gained means that we don't support our teams and should pack up and go home. Success for UNT will come through consistent support leading to steady growth. If we bail every time we lose a game that we "should have won", then when the hissy-fit ends, we have to start all over again with growing the program. I'm glad for every type of supporter, even the bandwagoners and fair-weather fans, but as a whole we have to be more stable than that.

Through losing seasons, coaching changes, and being left out of conferences and bowls, even if you want to call for somebody's job or a change in one area or another, we have to stabilize as a fanbase and a community. Much of this is probably a big part of what has led to our century-long up-and-down in football. If we hadn't had so many periods where everybody jumped ship or wanted to quit D-IA, etc., we wouldn't have had to start over. That century has only yielded about what, 30 years or so of good, solid support? So instead of continued excuses and ultimatums (though once in a while, ultimatums can be helpful), why not urge on the stability that has been lacking and has likely caused us to be far less effective than we should be by now?

Now, as to the UTSA game itself, if the team assumes an easy win and "phones in" their performance, there is a very real chance of losing this game. But regardless of GL2G's stats, even though we didn't beat many good teams last year, UTSA's included 3 of the worst teams of the last decade. Plus we perform very well at Apogee. If everyone does their job, this should be a win, but that doesn't mean we should all burn our degrees and quit on everything we like to support if "should" doesn't happen. There are quite a few games we "should" have won over the years, and didn't, but losing those doesn't mean we had to assume it was a sign of the apocalypse and quit.

And to their thread, there are some other weird predictions as well. Some of them are predicting wins against New Mexico, Rice, and La Tech but losses to teams I would expect them to win or at least compete very well with. It's not like they're overhyping the program, because it's not the overall thread predictions but specific posters predicting they'll beat better teams and lose to worse ones. Though 0-12 for UTSA isn't unrealistic, neither is a 3 or 4 win season as far as I can tell. Maybe even 6 if they surprise a few teams. But I do hope that we aren't one of the ones they celebrate.

Finally, the analogy is close, but I think it's more like we were the awkward preteen who grew up to be a pretty girl, and then assumed her looks would last but ate too many cheeseburgers and got fat, and THEN worked hard to get pretty again. But overall it's pretty relevant.

• Upvote 3