Back On Board With Benford

I may be the only one, but I'm back on board with TB and MBB.

Last night I found out a bunch about injuries that I didn't know about. Also, I didn't know we beat stAte by 24 in the last game of the regular season.

in the words of Rick Perry, "it can't get no worse". I'm going to let last season be last season. I think it will get better, and I think Benford might just show us all that he can actually coach.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Last night I found out a bunch about injuries that I didn't know about. Also, I didn't know we beat stAte by 24 in the last game of the regular season.

in the words of Rick Perry, "it can't get no worse". I'm going to let last season be last season. I think it will get better, and I think Benford might just show us all that he can actually coach.

Good for you. I agree. I came away feeling like all three major sports were heading in the right direction and there's no shame in having that belief.

A St. Had already wrapped up the West crown and were simply going through the motions. What happened the next game? You know, the one that mattered against LaLa.

I got some snake oil. Are you interested?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Am I on board with him? I am only because he's our coach and I want him to prove all of us naysayers wrong.

Do I actually believe we will turn it around and be significantly better next season? Not really. I think a .500 record would be a decent mark of progress, and that is sad considering we're not far removed from expecting much more.

• Upvote 4

A St. Had already wrapped up the West crown and were simply going through the motions. What happened the next game? You know, the one that mattered against LaLa.

I got some snake oil. Are you interested?

I am interested!! can it heal all things? I'll take 2 bottles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Am I on board with him? I am only because he's our coach and I want him to prove all of us naysayers wrong.

Do I actually believe we will turn it around and be significantly better next season? Not really. I think a .500 record would be a decent mark of progress, and that is sad considering we're not far removed from expecting much more.

This is about where I am right now.

Hopefully with the recruits we are bringing in we can fill the holes left my graduation, etc. Benford did say many of the incoming players were better 3 point shooters so hopefully if we lose someone to injury it isn't such a major weakness like it was this past season.

This is about where I am right now.

Hopefully with the recruits we are bringing in we can fill the holes left my graduation, etc. Benford did say many of the incoming players were better 3 point shooters so hopefully if we lose someone to injury it isn't such a major weakness like it was this past season

On board . He is putting together a good recruiting class.

Benford is surprisingly good at talking.

After hearing Benford speak at last years caravan - I was sold - I bought season tickets to see what was to be a special season. This year I heard him speak and still felt that inner voice that wanted me to get excited. I won't be getting excited though. I might as well burn my season ticket money. How silly I looked after inviting people to come to games to check out this amazing team. I want to be wrong - I really really do - but right now I'm just not buying what he is selling.

• Upvote 5

I saw Fran at the elite 8, me and my friend were yelling to get his attention and told him we wanted him at unt. He laughed and gave a shrug that said to me had you had your chance and now you have Benford. Everyone outside unt knows he is not the answer.

I talked to Fran earlier this season too. He wanted to be here. He's not stupid, he knew what the pay scale was going to be, so that's not an excuse. He already lives in the area and had a connection to the team, but RV got suckered into hiring Benford.

• Upvote 1

In Johnny's first year he went 1 game over .500. He didn't really sniff success until year 6.

Everybody wants Johnny back, as did I. Here was his record for the first 6 years. Now what?

2001–02 North Texas 15–14 8–7 4th (West) 2002–03 North Texas 7–21 2–13 6th (West) 2003–04 North Texas 13–15 8–8 3rd (West) 2004–05 North Texas 14–14 6–9 4th (West) 2005–06 North Texas 14–14 6–9 4th (West) 2006–07 North Texas 23–11 10–8 3rd (West) NCAA First Round
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In Johnny's first year he went 1 game over .500. He didn't really sniff success until year 6.

Everybody wants Johnny back, as did I. Here was his record for the first 6 years. Now what?

2001–02 North Texas 15–14 8–7 4th (West) 2002–03 North Texas 7–21 2–13 6th (West) 2003–04 North Texas 13–15 8–8 3rd (West) 2004–05 North Texas 14–14 6–9 4th (West) 2005–06 North Texas 14–14 6–9 4th (West) 2006–07 North Texas 23–11 10–8 3rd (West) NCAA First Round

This? Again?

• Upvote 3

Johnny took over a team that hadn't even seen 10 wins in several years, and immediately went over .500. Benford took over a team that had just played short handed and underachieved to an 18 win record and nearly an NCAA berth, and turned them into a 20 loss team.

This wasn't a rebuild. But it did turn into a demolition.

It's not even about him not measuring up to a Johnny Jones standard... The really scary thing is what an immediate cratering like our past season likely means for the future. During the tournament, I did the list of 20+ loss teams in 2012 who didn't fire their coach. Only one of them (Robert Morris) made the NCAAs this year, Arizona State made the NIT, and very few of them even finished above .500. Many if not most (can't recall) wound up losing 20+ again this past season.

If you're enthusiastic and buying tickets for basketball again, that's great and I hope the season ends with you still smiling, though.

Let's not go there. JJ had just taken over for Trilli the first. Then he built the thing up from the ashes, with a couple of bumps in the road as he was learning on the job. The he builds this thing up incrementally to the point where we aren't just getting bids to the NCAAs or making it to tournament finals, his team became extremely talented. Then Trilli the second got hired.

Forgive me if I don't buy into the hype. As other posters said, I'll believe it when I see it. I would be willing to give him more support if he can just get us back to close to .500 next year. BUt I am seriously expecting about 7-8 wins.

Prove us wrong, Benford and RV...prove us all wrong.

• Upvote 2

Johnny took over a team that hadn't even seen 10 wins in several years, and immediately went over .500. Benford took over a team that had just played short handed and underachieved to an 18 win record and nearly an NCAA berth, and turned them into a 20 loss team.

This wasn't a rebuild. But it did turn into a demolition.

It's not even about him not measuring up to a Johnny Jones standard... The really scary thing is what an immediate cratering like our past season likely means for the future. During the tournament, I did the list of 20+ loss teams in 2012 who didn't fire their coach. Only one of them (Robert Morris) made the NCAAs this year, Arizona State made the NIT, and very few of them even finished above .500. Many if not most (can't recall) wound up losing 20+ again this past season.

If you're enthusiastic and buying tickets for basketball again, that's great and I hope the season ends with you still smiling, though.

Scoreboard

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1