Over/Under on wins , 5.5

NT03

I'd like to think a win over Idaho, split with either Ohio or Ball, Southern Miss, UTEP, and UTSA. That's 5.

If we can sweep both Ohio and Ball, squeeze by Tulane, or get by Middle, we go to 6 wins. I'll hope for 6 so I'll take the over. Rover.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I see absolute have-to-have wins as Idaho and UTSA. The I see likely wins against Tulane and UTEP. So that's four right there. If we can win just one more game against Ball State, Ohio, MUTS, La Tech, Rice, and Southern Miss, that gets you 5 at a bare minimum. I think the game at Tulsa is most likely a loss and the Georgia game doesn't count, except in dollars to the AD and number of injuries in the trainer's center.

Seriously, 5-6 wins should be achievable if we are healthy and can continue to get stronger. If we could win 4 games last year and we left winnable games on the field at WKU and at home against Troy, we should be right about the same this year. I expect that the QB play will be better--slightly better gets us to 4-6 wins, way better gets us to 7 or more. I suspect that the OLine will be better, too. And I actually think the DLine will perform better than people expect, with another year under the strenght and conditioning program that McCarney has them under, which is uspposed to specialize in development of strenght amongst linemen.

IN a pie-in-the-sky season, I would see as many as 8 wins and a bowl game. In a disaster, I can see us with a 2-10 record. Taking the middle ground should get us to 5 wins. If it doesn't, the next recruiting class may very well be the worst yet, since McCarney will either be entering his make-it-or-break-it year of his contract (Year 4 of 5) or will get fired and we get to try Coach Number 4 to build us up from the ashheap of FBS football.

• Upvote 1

Over...6 wins minimum this time out! Go Mean Green...Why Not North Texas!!!

EDIT: Someone doesn't want UNT to have a min. of 6 wins????? Really? Why not?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I've heard the argument that playing top 25 teams gets our team beat up. So I asked the team doctor if that were true. He told me that there is no difference, from a total injury standpoint, in playing a conference game and playing a top 25 team. I have zero stats. Just what I was told by the head doctor.

I noticed that we play Tulane on their homecoming October 5. The photo of the Superdome at Tulane homecoming looks like a lot of fun.

More fun if NT wins.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

The Ohio game will be VERY telling (assuming we beat Idaho, which is a large assumption). They are a good bowl team with a lot returning.

Beat Idaho, and follow that up with a win at Ohio, and there may actually be something to get excited about.

Not holding my breathe.

• Upvote 2

Over...6 wins minimum this time out! Go Mean Green...Why Not North Texas!!!

EDIT: Someone doesn't want UNT to have a min. of 6 wins????? Really? Why not?

Kram, I dont think anyone wants UNT to have less than 6 wins, but when you bet or predict you play the number not the team...5.5 is quite high for this team

• Upvote 3

Under...DT is not a consistent enough QB...I don't care what was said during spring ball, I've seen the game day DT for two seasons...inaccurate arm, continues to throw off his back leg, red zone killer

AND...before people mention the "good" games he had, that was a bunch of underneath stuff he was given by the other team or screens for the most part

AND...before people start to mention "bad play calling" those are the run-first plays you call when you have no confidence in your QB

Everyone better hope Burglund can come on in the fall, or there is a good chance we are breaking in a new coach in 2014 which will "likely" mean at leat 2 more mediocre years...UNLESS...we hire another high school coach, then your looking at 6 horrible years

• Upvote 2

While I would love it if we wine 6 games, we are in the stronger division of a stronger conference. We can be significantly better and still only get five wins just because of the competition. I think we win five and I hope we win more.

I just don't see how CUSA is a stronger conference than the Belch last year.

• Upvote 1

I think the conference slate is a wash, as far as competition compared to last year.

While I'm very concerned about our defensive line, I still think we'll go as far as our QB play takes us.

I can see anywhere between 3 and 7 wins on the schedule. Still too early to tell...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Our schedule looks pretty tough, but I think we have become far more competative in the past two years. I think we could end up with as many as 8 wins this year.

UNT Satchmo, if you're referring to Louie Armstrong's nickname of Satchmo with your moniker; anyhow, while on a summer of 1966 family trip out to visit my sister & brother-in-law in San Francisco (they were stationed at the Army's Presidio located at foot of Golden Gate Bridge); anyhow, my sister bought tickets to see Armstrong and his Dixieland Band out at the Circle Star Theatre (not far from Candlestick Park as I recall) and it was June 15, 1966, my late mother's birthday so it was a birthday gift for her.

It was a great concert and Ol' Satch's opening act that evening? Hows 'bout Smokey Robinson and the Miracles? It was a most memorable evening during my young teen years. Heck, I'm still thinking about that concert of 2 music American music icons and long ago even now but that's what we older geezers, too, right? :)

Oh.............6 wins and if we catch Lady Luck sleeping..............7 !

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1