Attendance Numbers

UNT86

Bored in the offseason?

Here are some attendance figures for everyone we have played at least twice home and away over the last 10 years.

At Arkansas State 13255

At Florida Atlantic 13536

At Florida International 13314

At Lafayette 17931

At Monroe 11120

At Middle 14498

At Troy 19704

At Tulsa 21642

At Western Kentucky 14775

Arkansas State 13193

Florida Atlantic 16509

Florida International 15540

Lafayette 16920

Monroe 15896

Middle 17877

Troy 18025

Tulsa 22948

Western Kentucky 11084

Average for home game #1 is 22759

Average for the last home game is 14078

Average for home game #1 over the last four years is 22687

Average for the last home game over the last four years is 19381

Home opener has only drawn less than 20,000 twice... 2004 vs FIU and 2009 vs Ohio.

Last home game has drawn less than 10,000 four times...vs. Ark St (twice), Western Kentucky, and FIU.

• Upvote 5

CUSA is the perfect place for us right now. Regional rivals = higher attendance.

With UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, L Tech and smu (2014-2017) on the schedule our attendance average should jump by 5,000.

I would like to see Texas State on the schedule every year rather than a MAC team.

Some form of rotation that would bring Baylor, TT, TCU, and Houston here would be even better.

• Upvote 4

CUSA is the perfect place for us right now. Regional rivals = higher attendance.

With UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, L Tech and smu (2014-2017) on the schedule our attendance average should jump by 5,000.

I would like to see Texas State on the schedule every year rather than a MAC team.

Some form of rotation that would bring Baylor, TT, TCU, and Houston here would be even better.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except Texas State on the schedule every year rather than a MAC team. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Texas State once in a while, but part of a good home schedule is having a little variety every year. And I wouldn't want to play a MAC team every year, but every once in a while. The SMU series and Army series are both great, but we don't want all our OOC games to be extended series. A little variety is a big part of generating interest.

• Upvote 2

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except Texas State on the schedule every year rather than a MAC team. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Texas State once in a while, but part of a good home schedule is having a little variety every year. And I wouldn't want to play a MAC team every year, but every once in a while. The SMU series and Army series are both great, but we don't want all our OOC games to be extended series. A little variety is a big part of generating interest.

I'm with you. A steady rotation of TT, smu, TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas State, Army, Navy, and Air Force would do nicely.

It's hard to get excited about playing teams that have people asking "Where are they located?" type questions.

• Upvote 2

We do not normally have the problem answering "where are they located" since it is usually spelled out in the name of the school (see Louisiana Lafeyette, University of Louisiana - Monroe, or any number of the Middle's, Western's, and Southern's) we play. We would sell out TCU and Tech no problem. I would love to see that.

• Upvote 2

I understand and totally agree with preferences for a home schedule. It's a no-brainer that Baylor and Texas Tech will draw more than a MAC or SBC team but the are and will continue to be hard to schedule. And, the more we improve the harder it will be to schedule them. They're in the business of winning games; not providing large crowds.

We're entering an era where home attendance should normally increase by several thousand simply because Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss and the like are more known (and popular). Throw in a couple of SMU and Army games and our average attendance should no longer be an embarrassment.

I hope that 86 will continue to do this analysis. It points out how well we are received and our interest in others.

• Upvote 1

We would sell out TCU and Tech no problem. I would love to see that.

The last two times we have played Baylor in Denton our crowds were 29437 (2003) and 28315 (2010).

Those still wouldn't fill Apogee, but they would be VERY close.

We also drew 25231 (2006) for SMU in Denton.

We have hosted Tech twice, both at Texas Stadium.

Those crowds were 21496 (1998) and 20852 (2001).

I think they would be much larger now if we played them in Denton.

We have hosted TCU once in Denton and drew 22837 in 2001.

• Upvote 2

Here's a bad way to look at the numbers; we have as much to offer those fan bases as they have to offer us. So which ever team as the better home turn out has the better fanbase.

Take that: FAU, FIU, Monroe, MTSU, and Tulsa.

Of course we al know travels well to Denton , but were talking credit for that.

The way some of us feel about no named opponents, is exactly why a lot of teams don't want to play NT..

CUSA will help, unless it completely turns into the Belt two in a couple of years. However, I don't think scheduling slightly better teams at home is going to significantly increase attendance unless it is in a combination with a football team that actually wins most of their games.

• Upvote 1

Might be fun to create a rival such as La. Tech and play in Shreveport every year.

Not exactly a neutral location...

My senior year at Texas High School (Texarkana) - also Ryan Mallett's last - we played Highland Park....

...at Independence Stadium in Shreveport.

Is was a bizarre location for our game, but was still fun.

Funny that people are tlaking about scheduling home games with TTech, Baylor, etc. when what we have already scheduled makes these games impossible until at least 2019, maybe even 2020 and beyond.

Scheduling: The single worst thing this AD does.

Actually, its home scheduling as 1a, then OOC $$$ bodybag scheduling as 1b.

In a close second, the AD's track record of hiring head coaches for the money sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unfortunately, scheduling is like dating. Not only do you have to ask the girl, but she also has to say yes.

Well then, UNT must be the whore to every major college out there, including whoring ourselves out to Iowa twice without a return game.

Or maybe the better analogy is that we are the homeless whore, because we have, in effect, given away our home while whoring ourselves out for the next 7 years.

I guess we are an uglier whore than ULM, Texas St., Ark St., and a number of others who actually manage to set up OOC home and homes with meaningful opponents.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We do not normally have the problem answering "where are they located" since it is usually spelled out in the name of the school (see Louisiana Lafeyette, University of Louisiana - Monroe, or any number of the Middle's, Western's, and Southern's) we play. We would sell out TCU and Tech no problem. I would love to see that.

We should all love the idea of playing more Texas schools. It will feel great to knock one of them down a few pegs as well. Sleeping Giant!