Interesting comments from Tulsa Prez

Harry

The dismissal of Parmley comes at a time when Conference USA has been in flux. The Golden Hurricane won the C-USA football championship this season, but six schools plan to leave the league next season for the Big East, which also faces the potential departure of a number of schools.

"I don't anticipate things moving terribly quickly, and right now, it's not clear what the best course of action is," Tulsa President Upham Steadman said. "We want to be in a conference where our coaches have the ability to recruit five-star athletes and to be able to say we're going to play in Dallas and Houston, and we're on the big screen. That's what talented football and basketball players are looking for.

"I also want to be in a conference that we can be proud of academically," he said. "Losing two of the private schools (SMU and Tulane) in Conference USA is damaging to me, in the way I think about the conference. Whether that forces us to take an action, I can't speculate. For one thing, it's not our call. We have to have an invitation (to move from C-USA to another league)."

Upham said he has been watching the developments in the Big East, which has lost football schools to the ACC and recently had a group of basketball-focused schools announce their plans to form a new conference. The trickle-down effects could reach Tulsa.

"Rumor has it that the Mountain West might take two additional members," Upham said. "The question is, would they take a Tulsa? Or would they take a media market like Dallas or a media market like Houston? That's been our problem going forward.

"But let me say to you that we're having the necessary conversations, and people know what our intentions are and what our aspirations are. People can see what our record has been."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Tulsa-s-search-for-AD-on-hold-during-NCAA-probe-4155650.php#ixzz2GpQMsPMl

"Rumor has it...." Sounds like Upham is a fan of Adele.

Tulsa's a weird monkey. They are flush with cash, but in a small market. The hire of Parmley was questionable from the get go because he's one of these insecure approaching middle age guys who had his hair gold tinted. (He'd have fit in here in Frisco, for sure.)

I'm always 159% suspicious of guys who won't go gray. Their minds are not 100% on their work product. This Parmley, caught up with bookies in Oklahoma...what a joke. How far down the bookie food chain is Oklahoma?

Old money there wants to go to the Mountain West. Sounds like Upham is for staying in the C-USA, but willing to listen to the Big East as well. Only C-USA and Big East give him the Dallas and Houston he claims to want.

However, I'd argue (and, as a Tulsa alum, I will argue to him) that the C-USA gives him not only Dallas and Houston, but now San Antonio as well. Many people here have something in their brain telling them to hate UTSA. I think getting into San Antonio is peachy. It's big and growing.

• Downvote 1

Well if you are arguing academics and then trying to lobby for the MWC, I just don't think you argument is making much sense at all. You go west and you get Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State, Fresno, New Mexico...great institutions of course but Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, Tulane you are not.

Tulsa is smart for waiting to see how the dust settles rather than jumping aimlessly into the abyss. The new CUSA is going to have some excellent rivalries and does not suffer from the negative brand image that the Big East and the Sun Belt do. I would argue and may be solo on this, but I believe the Sun Belt image has improved this year and shed some of its baggage.

For UNT I would do the following in this order:

1. Accept an invite to MWC

2. Build CUSA

No Big East and no Sun Belt. Time for the right change.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Tulsa is the 59th largest TV market just a bit smaller than Little Rock and about 70,000 more TV households than Huntington, WV.

Twenty or thirty years ago it was a highly prized market because it had the highest cable penetration of any top 75 TV market but that advantage is long gone.

• Upvote 1

Translation : I want to be in a conference with teams from Dallas and Houston. And if they were private institutions that would be even better

This is what I read as well. I think he is saying to his donors, "Look, C-USA already has Dallas and Houston. Even though it doesn't now have other private schools like us, we'll probably be okay because we're already beating the public schools in C-USA."

Remember, though, as I've already said, Tulsa's old money really thinks TU is a basketball school. They would have slobbered at the opportunity to get into the Big East before all of the basketball school left it. Although the MWC has no privates either, they will - in theory - have better hoops programs than the new Big East will.

Currently, MWC RPI is #2, Big East #3...C-USA #11, behind the MVC (led by Creighton) and WCC (led by Gonzaga). Adding us, UTSA, and the others isn't going to help C-USA's basketball profile. Sun Belt RPI is currently #21, below even the Southland.

These RPI rankings are as of 1/2/13, which, last I checked was today:

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf

• Upvote 3

This is what I read as well. I think he is saying to his donors, "Look, C-USA already has Dallas and Houston. Even though it doesn't now have other private schools like us, we'll probably be okay because we're already beating the public schools in C-USA."

Remember, though, as I've already said, Tulsa's old money really thinks TU is a basketball school. They would have slobbered at the opportunity to get into the Big East before all of the basketball school left it. Although the MWC has no privates either, they will - in theory - have better hoops programs than the new Big East will.

Currently, MWC RPI is #2, Big East #3...C-USA #11, behind the MVC (led by Creighton) and WCC (led by Gonzaga). Adding us, UTSA, and the others isn't going to help C-USA's basketball profile. Sun Belt RPI is currently #21, below even the Southland.

These RPI rankings are as of 1/2/13, which, last I checked was today:

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf

I think he is saying to his donors, "Look, C-USA already has Dallas and Houston. Even though it doesn't now have other private schools like us,.... So what about RICE...head and shoulders above SMU.

you make a good point about san antonio market

• Upvote 1

The dismissal of Parmley comes at a time when Conference USA has been in flux. The Golden Hurricane won the C-USA football championship this season, but six schools plan to leave the league next season for the Big East, which also faces the potential departure of a number of schools.

"I don't anticipate things moving terribly quickly, and right now, it's not clear what the best course of action is," Tulsa President Upham Steadman said. "We want to be in a conference where our coaches have the ability to recruit five-star athletes and to be able to say we're going to play in Dallas and Houston, and we're on the big screen. That's what talented football and basketball players are looking for.

"I also want to be in a conference that we can be proud of academically," he said. "Losing two of the private schools (SMU and Tulane) in Conference USA is damaging to me, in the way I think about the conference. Whether that forces us to take an action, I can't speculate. For one thing, it's not our call. We have to have an invitation (to move from C-USA to another league)."

Upham said he has been watching the developments in the Big East, which has lost football schools to the ACC and recently had a group of basketball-focused schools announce their plans to form a new conference. The trickle-down effects could reach Tulsa.

"Rumor has it that the Mountain West might take two additional members," Upham said. "The question is, would they take a Tulsa? Or would they take a media market like Dallas or a media market like Houston? That's been our problem going forward.

"But let me say to you that we're having the necessary conversations, and people know what our intentions are and what our aspirations are. People can see what our record has been."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Tulsa-s-search-for-AD-on-hold-during-NCAA-probe-4155650.php#ixzz2GpQMsPMl

I think the "academic" argument is about done for any conference. One could make the case for the ACC or Big Ten but with the addition of Louisville, that has gone out the window. Some of the Big Ten's academics were not all that sterling to begin with. Rice and UTSA in the same conference, who would have thunk it?

• Upvote 2

I think the "academic" argument is about done for any conference. One could make the case for the ACC or Big Ten but with the addition of Louisville, that has gone out the window. Some of the Big Ten's academics were not all that sterling to begin with. Rice and UTSA in the same conference, who would have thunk it?

just for complete laughs please name some of these less than stellar schools

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

True, Rice.

I hope us being near Dallas and Rice being in Houston is enough for TU to stay. I'm just always hearing from people I know there that they covet the MWC. I understand from the basketball perspective, and know it drives many of TU's larger donors.

I'd consider my school a hoops school if I had the following history:

Nolan Richardson--won the NIT at Tulsa when the NCAA Tournament had 32 teams. He left to go to Arky and won an NCAA title.

Tubby Smith--took Tulsa to two straight Sweet Sixteens in the early 90s--ended up winning a NCAA Title at Kentucky

Bill Self--took Tulsa to the Elite Eight--ended up winning a title at Kansas

That's a very strong history, especially for such a small private school in the middle of nowhere (Tulsa, Oklahoma ain't exactly surrounded by lots of close metropolitan cities). I'd have a basketball-first mindset, too, if I were in their shoes. If Danny Manning can get them revived, they are going to right back to being the hot school to get your next coach from if you're a big school.

Nolan Richardson--won the NIT at Tulsa when the NCAA Tournament had 32 teams. He left to go to Arky and won an NCAA title.

Tubby Smith--took Tulsa to two straight Sweet Sixteens in the early 90s--ended up winning a NCAA Title at Kentucky

That's a very strong history, especially for such a small private school in the middle of nowhere (Tulsa, Oklahoma ain't exactly surrounded by lots of close metropolitan cities). I'd have a basketball-first mindset, too, if I were in their shoes. If Danny Manning can get them revived, they are going to right back to being the hot school to get your next coach from if you're a big school.

And just how do they go about evaluating this up-and-coming coaching talent?

Tulsa isn't a small city. It's got more than Arlington, less than Fort Worth, and a shade under a million (998k in the 2010 census) in the metropolitcan area.

TU's media size problem is that while Tulsa was once the Oil Capital of the World, the rich people who lived there didn't think much of outsiders and did their best ot keep to the wealth and power to themselves. Result: Once OKC got a decent mayor in the mid-90s it began to make changes in its city that culminated in an NBA franchise.

TU kind of pays the price for the city looking down its nose at its Okie cousins and carpetbagging yankees for so long. They're trying to change it now. The money is there, for sure - both at TU and in the oil and gas businesses again...though most of the companies formerly based in Tulsa are now in Houston because Texas doesn't have a state income tax and the Port of Houston.

I'm telling you, my parents both grew up in Tulsa and I lived there for three years - it's a bird of a different feather: both the city and school. I mean, think about this...TU has less than half the undergraduate enrollment of Abilene Christian and is an FBS school. I mean, when I enrolled in the law school there in 2000, the undergrad enrollment was less than 3,000!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Touting the academic credibility of SMU has become a joke.

No one is impressed by SMU. I am tired of every private school thinking they are freakin Harvard or Yale. Honestly, I was just as challenged at UNT, as I was at TCU. UNT deserves more respect for sure.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

TU basketball hasn't been to March Madness in 10 years. And, while TU may have launched those coaches, none of them delivered a title at Tulsa.

I do not think Danny Manning is the man for the job at Tulsa. The AD who hired him is now gone due to a gambling scandal. Both hires - the AD and Manning - were less than stellar.

I think TU is in a tough situation. The donors and many fans covet a place in the MWC. The president seems to want to keep the ties to Texas flowing - likely due to the success of the football program during the last 10 years as the basketball has declined.

They are having to watch/endure all of the conference chaos without an athletic director at this point as well. That can't be making them all that much more attractive to any conference.

I do not think Danny Manning is the man for the job at Tulsa. The AD who hired him is now gone due to a gambling scandal. Both hires - the AD and Manning - were less than stellar.

Yeah but the nice thing about the Manning hire is, those responsible and signed off on it at least had the wherewithal to think ahead...just in case he didn't work out. If he fails this year they only have two years to buy out instead of 4.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah but the nice thing about the Manning hire is, those responsible and signed off on it at least had the wherewithal to think ahead...just in case he didn't work out. If he fails this year they only have two years to buy out instead of 4.

Rick

Agreed. And, because the man who hired him is gone, it's easier to get rid of him.