Poll: If the Big East calls

shaft

I voted no...but like that great looking chick that we know we don't have a chance to get that date with, do we change our minds if she suddenly shows interest? :)

North Texas because of its last 30 plus years of mostly under-achievement just does not have the brand as much as that is difficult to admit. Don't think we'll

have to worry about a Big East invite but in today's NCAA....who knows? We all know the uncanny upside our school has along with the largest DFW constituency

of any Texas-based school, but few on the eastern seaboard seems to know all this. And their propensity to "NOT" research schools they've already invited and

such schools who have terrible fan followings even during winning seasons (Tulane, SMU, etc) means that its still all about branding; even if those brands were earned

well over 70 years ago.

Of course, SMU who first entered CUSA with an 18 football season losing streak still has that 1939 NCAA N.C. and the Doak Walker Era. It

never ceases to amaze me how much milage they get from that. Of course, SWC membership didn't hurt them, either.

Perception, folks, its still all about perception and for UNT to copy-cat Boise State as our model (which we have yet to do) would still be a most worthy goal, IMHO.

Boise catches hell about their academics, ie, truck driving school, ect, ect, etc, but isn't it amazing how their 10 plus year Top 25 football successes seems to have more than over-come any of those academic criticisms? :cigar2:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I voted no...but like that great looking chick that we know we don't have a chance to get that date with, do we change our minds if she suddenly shows interest? :)

North Texas because of its last 30 plus years of mostly under-achievement just does not have the brand as much as that is difficult to admit. Don't think we'll

have to worry about a Big East invite but in today's NCAA....who knows? We all know the uncanny upside our school has along with the largest DFW constituency

of any Texas-based school, but few on the eastern seaboard seems to know all this. And their propensity to "NOT" research schools they've already invited and

such schools who have terrible fan followings even during winning seasons (Tulane, SMU, etc) means that its still all about branding; even if those brands were earned

well over 70 years ago.

Of course, SMU who first entered CUSA with an 18 football season losing streak still has that 1939 NCAA N.C. and the Doak Walker Era. It

never ceases to amaze me how much milage they get from that. Of course, SWC membership didn't hurt them, either.

Perception, folks, its still all about perception and for UNT to copy-cat Boise State as our model (which we have yet to do) would still be a most worthy goal, IMHO.

Boise catches hell about their academics, ie, truck driving school, ect, ect, etc, but isn't it amazing how their 10 plus year Top 25 football successes seems to have more than over-come any of those academic criticisms? :cigar2:

GMG!

Wait a minute, Jim. Don't I remember a quote from you regarding "grow where you are planted"? We've just been planted in CUSA.

Of course, the "truck driving school" was in reference to Boise's JC days. Their academics have improved almost proportionally to their football success since that time.

Not that logic always prevails, but on potential NT is the no brainer choice over SMU for the Dallas market. The problem is we never seem to reach the potential.

I know it's New Year's Eve. But have you been drinking?

And if SMU moves to the MWC, UNT will have no chance to move West.

Are you suggesting that there is some animosity or jealousy between SMU and UNT? How can it be? Tell me it isn't so...HA. Right you are Deep...right you are...if history holds.

• Upvote 1

Are you suggesting that there is some animosity or jealousy between SMU and UNT? How can it be? Tell me it isn't so...HA. Right you are Deep...right you are...if history holds.

Not only animosity, but the fact is neither program controls DFW. But the MWC only needs one representative from the DFW area.

• Upvote 1

I think we are in the catbirds seat if we just hold our cards. I am assuming that SDSU backs out of Big Least as well, since they get a free pass, and rejoin MWC, which gets them back up to 12 teams.I see no reason for MWV to expand beyond 12 schools,as there is no one besides BYU who increases their t.v.value. BYU has a good t.v. deal as an independent, and nothing has changed to make them regret their decision to go independent. Then SMU,Houston.Tulane,Memphis,UCF,and ECU have a decision to make. Either move forward to Big East, or rejoin CUSA.We win either way.

• Upvote 1

Hell yes. If we get a chance to be in the same conference as smu and Houston, we have to jump all over it. As much as we all hate them, how can we not say yes to the oppurtunity to play them every year in conference play?

Plus the addition of a couple other regional rivals?

You guys are crazy to say no. That would be much better than Tulsa, rice, utsa.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

SMU winning a national championship in 1939 is news to me.

My bad....make that a "1935" national championship for the 'Stangs. A Timeline Perspective: In the late 1870's Indians were still raiding ranches in the part of Texas I reside. 1935 is closer to that era than the present. I guesss we were still churning out teachers during that same period--which was (and still is) a good thing.

http://www.susannataliefreeman.com/SWC/Champions.html (SMU's NC listed toward bottom of page)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I think we are in the catbirds seat if we just hold our cards. I am assuming that SDSU backs out of Big Least as well, since they get a free pass, and rejoin MWC, which gets them back up to 12 teams.I see no reason for MWV to expand beyond 12 schools,as there is no one besides BYU who increases their t.v.value. BYU has a good t.v. deal as an independent, and nothing has changed to make them regret their decision to go independent. Then SMU,Houston.Tulane,Memphis,UCF,and ECU have a decision to make. Either move forward to Big East, or rejoin CUSA.We win either way.

I've got to disagree on that one. Do you really think that DFW and Houston markets would bring nothing to the MWC?

I like 12-team conferences but the mold has been broken and if a conference can elevate its position in the market or on the playing field it doesn't seem to hesitate anymore. Why did the B1G take Rutgers and Maryland when they could've had almost anyone they wanted outside of Notre Dame? The answer is New York and Washington/Baltimore TV markets.

In addition, I believe that any conference below the Power 5 is better positioned if they have strength in numbers. It softens the blow if they are raided by another conference and adds market value.

• Upvote 1