Am I crazy?

bdan2002

I said when UNT made its hire, that the Mean Green made the hire they needed. In fact I said the same about the Cajuns, ASU, and before that WKU.

The evidence is sketchier on Mac at this point but I'm not sure people want to think about the recruiting situation. A few years back I watched UNT play ULL in person and watched a very very mediocre group of Cajun receivers more than once blow past the UNT defense, then have to come back to catch a poorly thrown pass and UNT defenders still not there. They were just flat being outrun.

There was more to fix at UNT than there was at ULL or ASU.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

We had a good QB 10 yrs............no, wait...........8 years ag................hold on........or was it 20 years ago?

Another question, was Jonas Buckles the last "really hard hitting" DB we've had? You know, the 6-2, 200 lb type.

Mitch Maher was the last really good QB I recall playing for UNT. 18 years...

• Upvote 1

Also GV. He did a fantastic job considering that he was always running for his life and/or taking a beating on every pass play.

I thought about mentioning him, but I have a hard time classifying a QB who leaves after his sophomore year as "really good." He probably would have been one of the greats though, had he stayed.

Scott Hall.....#11 on your program. Also GV. He did a fantastic job considering that he was always running for his life and/or taking a beating on every pass play.

Scott was never a big numbers, big passes kind of guy. He was better than that, really. He had really good vision, read coverage well, knew when to tuck it in and run, and he had a good control of the guys he led on the field.

I thought about mentioning him, but I have a hard time classifying a QB who leaves after his sophomore year as "really good." He probably would have been one of the greats though, had he stayed.

Great freshman year, not so great as a Soph.

One of the weirdest things ever to quit football as a starter.

Thanks Dodge.

• Upvote 1

Great freshman year, not so great as a Soph.

One of the weirdest things ever to quit football as a starter.

Thanks Dodge.

Do we really know if this was all on Dodge? Would like to know or hear from a member of that team who might have a fairly decent insight into this. I ask, not because I disagree with UNT90, but because I don't know for sure and am not sure anyone except those "in the hose" know fr certain.

Does seem strange that the kid never caught on anywhere else...being that he was so highly rated and all. Strange indeed, UNT90, strange indeed.

Do we really know if this was all on Dodge? Would like to know or hear from a member of that team who might have a fairly decent insight into this. I ask, not because I disagree with UNT90, but because I don't know for sure and am not sure anyone except those "in the hose" know fr certain.

Does seem strange that the kid never caught on anywhere else...being that he was so highly rated and all. Strange indeed, UNT90, strange indeed.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_football/article/Ex-Heights-QB-Vizza-tossed-football-and-scored-817823.php

• Upvote 1

F Vizza. Bitch.

Most talented all-around Qb so far since I have been watching (since late 90s) was Riley Dodge. Hell of a player.

Scott Hall defintely was the "best" in that period though.

I definitely have a lot more respect for Riley as a QB and player than for someone like Vizza. Riley was as tough as they come. I really hope he finds good success with his new coaching career. Vizza was talented and could have emerged as something special his junior year. His quitting football is still one of the strangest things I've seen. Oh well, I guess to each his own... it's just weird to read an article like the one Mean Green 93-98 posted and hear someone with a Div I football scholarship flat-out admit that they didn't like the early mornings and early evenings working on football.

I also agree with MeanGreenTexas about Andrew Smith. Oh what could have been!!!

• Upvote 1

If you look at the great numbers the article shows on the sidebar, outside of the Navy game with those incredible 8 touchdown passes, he had 24 td passes in 21 games, and the entire team had about 20 average points scored for those 21 games. If any of this sounds familiar, it should. Nothing against Vizza, but we still have some of the same issues to resolve, which all comes down to one question: how to score more points. Hey, I hope Berglund turns out to be the next great QB that everyone is dreaming about, but I don't really care how we do it, we've got to become more explosive in terms of scoring on offense. It's great that we've had the offensive line and the running backs that have done so well, but we have to have the quality and depth of quarterbacks and receivers that we have not had, and some play calls that actually stretch the field. It sounds like we have two new quarterbacks coming in next year; honestly, that should be at least 3, unless McNulty's true calling is QB and he's at least good enough for #3 on the depth chart. And Santa, some receivers with game changing speed and great hands.

Edited by eulessismore

F Vizza. Bitch.

Most talented all-around Qb so far since I have been watching (since late 90s) was Riley Dodge. Hell of a player.

Scott Hall defintely was the "best" in that period though.

I think Vizza was a pampered kid from Alamo Heights and he never felt comfortable at North Texas, where his facilities and his surroundings were well under what he was used to back home. Knowing that the coach's son was going to challenge him at QB was enough for him to leave, since he was never used to being in a tough environment. Its the reason the Southlake kids never made it here and those kids from the pampered suburbs often didn't do that great while they were playing at Fouts in front of less than 10000 fans against a no-name opponent. The places that they came from had better stadiums and followings than we had as a college. Nowadays, that shouldn't ever be an excuse for any of these spoiled suburban football players with the new stadium and facilities in Denton.

I have the coach's edited version of the "Miracle In The Desert" game on video...no sound. I need to upload that to YouTube some time for people to see how unbelievably tough of a competitor he was.

Rick

The LaLa game at Fouts the next year would be much more impressive. They kept knocking him out of the game and he kept getting taped up on the sideline and going back out. One of the toughest performances I ever saw by a NT player.

I believe that a good offensive line was a strong factor in Hall's success and the lack of one for Vizza's departure. Vizza was pretty beaten up every game. I just don't think that his body needed to take that much punishment.

This offensive line is the main reason that I expect Berglund to be successful.