What's wrong with Thompson?

UNTcrazy727

Wide receivers were open all night long. I saw numerous times he didn't throw to open receivers.

Yes, they are a lot easier to see from the stands or TV. Every game at every level, has secondary receivers open and not thrown to. There were a couple last night that almost could have walked in they were so open. One in particular, the primary was on the alumni sideline and the secondary receiver broke open on the student sideline. Easy to see from a fan view, but very difficult to pick up by a QB.

It is obvious, Thompson had a bad night; but he didn't get a lot of help from his receivers. TSU receivers were open more than NT's, fortunately their QB's missed most of those throws.

• Upvote 1

At least three receivers quit on routes they were running and could have caught the ball. I understand that DT throws high and long more than he should, but he also gets little help from his receivers. It looks like DT should stick to slants and short dump passes, but he doesn't seem to see his outlets when in trouble. He has a pretty big O-line, so I'd say he doesn't see much down the middle when they get all bunched up pass blocking. He needs to go to slants and outs and throw the ball before the receiver breaks. His slant to DelGato was throw beautifully and hit him in the belly. Last week his TD pass down the middle was through a break in the line after the receiver cleared. DT does better with low and hard v. high and long. One man's opinion.

Yes, they are a lot easier to see from the stands or TV. Every game at every level, has secondary receivers open and not thrown to. There were a couple last night that almost could have walked in they were so open. One in particular, the primary was on the alumni sideline and the secondary receiver broke open on the student sideline. Easy to see from a fan view, but very difficult to pick up by a QB.

It is obvious, Thompson had a bad night; but he didn't get a lot of help from his receivers. TSU receivers were open more than NT's, fortunately their QB's missed most of those throws.

Very true. Hopefully they all pick it up. I'm pulling for DT because I grew up playing baseball against him!

I think that Thompson needs to improve in a couple of areas. He does not throw the long ball well; he gets way too much air under it allowing the defender time to recover. He also appears to lock on to one receiver too much and ignores secondary receivers who are often open. He's better than yesterday's game but I'm not yet convinced that he can be a championship quarterback.

• Upvote 1

I still have faith in DT, because he has shown flashes of greatness, and last week he looked very poised. His performance was very disappointing, but as many have pointed out, I'd rather have him do this against TSU than against LSU or KSU. He absolutely needs to step it up though, no question about that. A couple more games like this (not counting KSU if he does poorly, because the talent differential isn't exactly his fault), and I'll start getting worried. Not yet though.

On a quick side note, the running game looked fantastic. If Jimmerson has 4 healthy years, this dude is going to put up huge numbers. We might have gotten lucky and struck gold again. Nothing against Byrd, since he looked great too, but something about the idea of having a guy being the #1 back for 4 years gets me really excited.

How quickly everyone forgets the Troy game last year and the three or four passes he threw that were just incredible(The Ivan Delgado in the very back of the endzone TD comes to mind) I think he got frustrated early and it showed. He has shown he can be good at times, he just needs to be consistent.

Everyone forgets because those "amazing" passes are few and far between. DT is going to have to improve tremendously if this team is ever going to get over the .500 mark. I know the season is still young, but to me his play is right where we saw it most of last year. The offense needs better play at QB, period.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would agree but the guy is a Junior, with FBS experience. He isn't a wide eyed freshman or redshirt, by now he should be refining himself.

You're right. His release is not going to start looking like Tom Brady's all of a sudden. His release will never change at this point no matter how hard he tries (look at Tebow). That doesn't mean he can't become better as a Quarterback, but only time will tell. For him time is running short.

• Upvote 1