Biggest Victory in UNT Sports History?

Harry

The top 25 thread in the basketball forum got me to thinking, what is the signature win on the field in UNT's history? I cannot really speak to the generations before my time but I will say for me it was the 2003 New Orleans Bowl win against Cincinnati. Nationally televised, we weren't favored and it was our first bowl win in like 40 years or something? That is the biggest one that sticks out in my mind. There were some great times under Johnny but I can't recall a win of that magnitude under such a national spotlight. Perhaps if we get enough that are worthy we could come up with a top 5 or 10. Hopefully Mac and Benford will be able to surpass.

The NO bowl win over Cincinnati was huge!

Very discouraging to lose the other 3 NO bowl games though.

There have been many other big wins for North Texas football, too many to mention.

I saw the big win over Bill Yoeman's Houston Cougars and their powerfull veer offense at Texas Stadium.

NT ran up and down the field on Houston. NT won 28-0.

I saw NT defeate # 16 San Diego St at Fouts. MLB David Deton returned 2 SD St Ints for TD's!

Fast forward to present day-The only other big football game win I remember, would be the Indiana game last year.

Coach McCarney's first win at North texas and the first win over a Big 10 team!

• Upvote 1

This may be about "were you there or not", but for me, the NO Bowl win against Cincy and the two wins against Tech IN LUBBOCK (especially with friends at Texas Tech and being in their stadium watching them realize they were losing what they thought was a sure win pair of games) are probably my two favorites.

• Upvote 2

the tech win in 97 is it for me...they were a from a 'power' conference and the boys took care of them on the field. the NO bowl was great, but it was against cincinnati, which was 7-6 coming into the game out of CUSA and finished second in the cusa. yes, that was better than where tech finished in the big 12, but the big 12 has reputation that the cusa doesn't. best moment that i saw in person was the catch in the end zone in the waining moments of the fourth quarter after tech had gone down and taken the lead...freaking awesome!

• Upvote 3

the tech win in 97 is it for me...they were a from a 'power' conference and the boys took care of them on the field. the NO bowl was great, but it was against cincinnati, which was 7-6 coming into the game out of CUSA and finished second in the cusa. yes, that was better than where tech finished in the big 12, but the big 12 has reputation that the cusa doesn't. best moment that i saw in person was the catch in the end zone in the waining moments of the fourth quarter after tech had gone down and taken the lead...freaking awesome!

Yeah, I was in Lubbock for both the '97 and '99 win. My buds were in shock both times... Loved kickin' their asses at home. :)

• Upvote 4

Although it was not a win, the close game we played against SMU in 1935 when they played in the Rose Bowl for the national championship is worth a mention.

• Upvote 1

Disregard previous post, (If, indeed, it was posted). I am still trying to get the hang of this thing.

What I meant to say was that although we did not win the game, we played the SMU reigning national champions in 1936 a very close game before losing 6-0. Although SMU had lost to Stanford in the Rose Bowl, this was back when the national champion was named before the bowl games were played. It is a least worth a mention for, after all, we were playing college football several years before SMU came into existence and in all those years only Rice and UNT, among Texas D-1 teams, have the distinction of never being punished for rules violations.

Who knows what we could have accomplished if we had had the desire, or at least, the wherewithal to win at any cost.

• Upvote 2

Actually Cincinnati was the conference champion that year.

The biggest win I have seen was the big victory over a ranked Drake basketball team that earned the Men's Gym the nickname the Snake Pit. The place was packed as usual and I remember NT was up 18-4 before Drake got a little competitive.

The crappy old gym provided a home advantage that was close to unparalleled. Most night games were sell outs and probably two thirds of the attendees were students who stood and yelled through most of the game. A fan experience that I have never seen equaled at NT or elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Well, I started watching UNT in 2008, so it would definitely be that time Dodge...oh..nevermind.

Gotta go with the win over Indiana last season because it was the first win I ever saw in person.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, but it would have been awesome if we had beaten K-State at Fouts in 2010, last home game. We lost 49-41. It would have been so awesome to see that sea of purple walk to their car defeated.

Edited by Grant.UNT
  • Upvote 1

greenminer- real North Texas fans understand what I have to say. I was taught this-If you cannot say anything good about anyone, keep your mouth shut.

Easy there, champ. He was simply making light of the fact there were more abbreviations in your one, ten word sentence than an adolescent girl uses in a text. There's bound to be plenty of other items of (kinda) merit to get all hopped up and defensive about. Save your ire for something of slightly more importance than a poster having some fun with the English language.

• Upvote 3