Biggest Victory in UNT Sports History?

Harry

I wasn't there but defeating Tennessee in football in what was then the largest football stadium in the South. We were using our third string QB [ Ray from Midland, watched him in HS ] . The football one I actually saw : --- the win at Tech about 1989 [ tortilla game] .. We never gave up and came from behind.. [ my Tech grad wife was with me.]

Any game In person..?. in 1964... we defeated Cincinnati in Basketball in Denton... they had been the National champion two years earlier and were highly reguarded then.. [ maybe ranked top 10 ]

Winning several national championships in golf was a big deal, just not one of the most watched sports.

------

--Honorable mention for best game: (a loss by 2 and inside of 10 as it ended) almost defeating Arkansas in late 60's... they had one loss.. UT. [ our best team ever with Joe Green and many future NFL players ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

The win over SMU in 1977 should be mentioned here because it probably meant we were the best football team in the metropolitan area that year. Except, perhaps, for the Tennessee win, I don't recall ever seeing Hayden Fry more ecstatic.

After all SMU had fired him only a few years earlier. We had a very good team that year. (JT Smith etc.)