New Orleans Losing Its Daily Newspaper - WOW

Print newspapers are going away, in fact I can't even remember the last time I read one. I read everything on my Ipad now. I remember while at UNT going to Willis and having access to all of the 2 papers in Houston so I could follow the Oilers...I thought I was in heaven. Yesterday I was in a McDonalds with my kid and saw DMNews sports page and didn't even feel compelled to pick it up. Now if I had spilled my drink it could have be of some use.

I'm one of the few people I know under or around the age of 50 who still gets a paper thrown on his porch every morning. I used to read both local papers cover to cover starting when I was in early grade school, but now I pretty much only study the sports page and scan everything else for something interesting. Kinda sad, but the demise of the daily paper began happening well before the masses became addicted to the internet. I guess the Times Herald's closure back in '91 was the beginning of the end.

• Upvote 1

If one does not "search out" their on-line newspaper edition, how do younger people find out what the hell is going on locally, nationally, and worldwide? Not everyone watches their local news, CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., every day. I'm like foutsrouts and receive a local paper every day, searching for some topic that interests me. BTW, do newspaper columnists and writers use spell check?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If one does not "search out" their on-line newspaper edition, how do younger people find out what the hell is going on locally, nationally, and worldwide? Not everyone watches their local news, CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., every day. I'm like foutsrouts and receive a local paper every day, searching for some topic that interests me. BTW, do newspaper columnists and writers use spell check?

Facebook!

• Downvote 5

NPR to and from work...Facebook and iGoogle feeds while at work. I also think we "younger people" are a more social generation and pertinent topics of the day are oft discussed over beverages at a local or on the front porch after work.

That said, I will never not buy (or poach a pre-read copy from my local coffee shop) the Sunday Times.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Flipboard.

As I post this from my iPad I wonder is an on-line message board the best place to complain about technology.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a future NOLA resident, a 2-4 per day newspaper reader and a NT J-school grad, this NEWS saddens me. I thought the T-P had a formula that works...THE source for local news, a bit of sensationalism, supportive of the local arts, a vocal and visible editorial section, excellent investigative writers, a strong, prolific classified ad section and the best real estate resource for its city of which I am aware.

GMG

Not surprising and frankly I'm surprised most of the big publications haven't done it yet. Isn't the SF Chronicle the only major newspaper to go completely online and cut the actual newspaper?

Tho personally...I don't subscribe to a daily newspaper or anything like that but from time to time I truly love the nostalgia of reading a newspaper and going through the whole thing should I have access to one in front of me. And I'm more of a younger demographic.

I wish that website would die!

I so agree with you on that!

Yes, I am one of the "older guys" who still reads the hard copy edition. I HATE on-line versions of the papers...you have to scroll around, the screens often are not big enough so you fish around and I have found the online versions of many papers are not as complete as the printed versions. My wife likes to use the I-Pad, but for me IT SUCKS. I want to relax in the morning or evening with the paper and a cup of coffee if in the morning and a beer or soft drink if in the evening. I know the fact is that hard copy editions are "going away" and I'll have to change, but I do find that many younger folks have very little idea about the news of the day unless it is not something someone posts on Facebook or some link to some article that someone sends them. The idea that young people in mass read the news on-line is an urban (and rural myth). On-line readers seem to not read the entire paper...all sections...as do most hard copy readers. BUT, the times they are a changin', and soon all the hard copy editions will be gone. Sad, but the handwriting is on the wall, and we will all need to adjust to the "new reality". For me, it will just not be the same....sadly!

• Upvote 2

We'll all be poorer for it, but I agree its the future. Many cities will not have daily newspapers in 10 years.So much for lounging around on the weekend with a cup of coffee and the newspaper!

I so agree with you on that!

Yes, I am one of the "older guys" who still reads the hard copy edition. I HATE on-line versions of the papers...you have to scroll around, the screens often are not big enough so you fish around and I have found the online versions of many papers are not as complete as the printed versions. My wife likes to use the I-Pad, but for me IT SUCKS. I want to relax in the morning or evening with the paper and a cup of coffee if in the morning and a beer or soft drink if in the evening. I know the fact is that hard copy editions are "going away" and I'll have to change, but I do find that many younger folks have very little idea about the news of the day unless it is not something someone posts on Facebook or some link to some article that someone sends them. The idea that young people in mass read the news on-line is an urban (and rural myth). On-line readers seem to not read the entire paper...all sections...as do most hard copy readers. BUT, the times they are a changin', and soon all the hard copy editions will be gone. Sad, but the handwriting is on the wall, and we will all need to adjust to the "new reality". For me, it will just not be the same....sadly!

• Upvote 1

So much for lounging around on the weekend with a cup of coffee and the newspaper!

You bite your tongue. Me, LuLu's Coffee Shop and the Sunday Times Crossword have a perfectly healthy and loving (well...love/hate...ohh Will Shortz...you and your delicious puns) relationship that last til the end of days.

• Upvote 1

I've switched to the DMN online edition. Their e edition looks like the regular paper with the same layout. I get it when I travel anywhere in the world. I'm also an online WSJ subscriber. I find I now read more than ever before because it's on my iPad or computer and one of those two is with me everywhere I go.

I saw an analysis that the NY Times can actually start to break even and have the potential to show a profit once the number of online suscribers hits some point balance with not having to print as many copies. Papers can actually make a better case to advertisers with online ads - you can track how many folks actually open that page. With web links, advertisers can track a real click thru rate. The old "I know half of my ad budget is wasted but I don't know which half" is no longer valid. They now know exactly.

Newspapers have always been about delivering an audience to advertisers. The audience is moving, but cleaver news marketing can still deliver an audience. But like the change from network tv to cable, the audience is much more fragmented and specialized.

• Upvote 1

Newspapers have to keep up. We are in a digital age. The printed newspaper is almost gone. Newspaper companies have to have a website and put the news online. By the time it comes out in print, the news is already old.

Magazines are the same way but worse. Sports Illustrated delivers every week.

Newspapers and magazines have to offer something besides scores and highlights. They have to provide some inside knowledge. Sports Illustrated does that pretty well.

• Upvote 1

I never likes them fancy pants tecno savy newspapers in the first place. This damn country took a turn for the stupid when our beloved town criers began dissapearing from the streets.

And don't even get me started on facebook...

I'm old.

• Upvote 3