CBS Reports 6 new schools to CUSA

KoldBeer

What we are witnessing is a good old cock block. CUSA knows that the Belt will look to expand and by taking two more of their prime candidates, they ensure that those schools do not go Sun Belt. Plus it keeps ECU happy and tightens the divisions for Olympic sports. Brilliant move.

:thumbsu: Truer words have not been said, stebo.

• Upvote 1

Would it kill the MWC to go to 12 football members by throwing lifelines to Idaho and New Mexico State?

I could see NMSU getting the invite but UNM may vote against that. And remember they don't have a presence in Texas and Texas State is still out there in the SBC. If they want that presence it seems like a good choice for them going after Texas State.

What we are witnessing is a good old cock block. CUSA knows that the Belt will look to expand and by taking two more of their prime candidates, they ensure that those schools do not go Sun Belt. Plus it keeps ECU happy and tightens the divisions for Olympic sports. Brilliant move.

C-USA also knows that any Belt team will leave the Belt at the drop of a hat for a C-USA invitation.

Great take Stebo!

From a football perspective? I love this move. Love it.

My biggest complaint about the new CUSA was that UTSA's 1 year of FCS football history made their addition seem almost comical. Now, our new conference leaders have added UNC-Charlotte, which has absolutely zero history in the past 65 years as a football program. Suddenly, from the football perspective, UTSA doesn't look so bad anymore!

I have to tip my hat to the forward-thinking conference leadership here. I'm glad we've left behind the Sun Belt, where 3 non-D1 teams moved up to join the conference in the past decade, to CUSA, where 3 teams will be doing it currently and simultaneously. That's bold. That's aggressive. If I'm ESPN or Fox, that's the sort of football I want to pay out the ass to broadcast.

And outside of football, I think this is even better. If there's one thing we've learned from the decades in the Big West and Sun Belt, it's that schools starting up football programs NEVER let their focus and financial commitment towards all other sports waver. Not even a little bit!

That's fortunate, because with 14 teams fighting it out for each auto-bid in every other NCAA sport... Those at-large slots will be very critical.

At least it's not the Sun Belt...

Careful what you say...I got plenty of -'s rained down on me.

I could give a crap about pluses or minuses.

Maybe a lateral move is a bit... of an overstatement. But having 2 more schools that have never played a down of BCS football join nUTSAck (brilliant name, by the by) cheapens the brand of CUSA football, and thus cheapens the hard fought invite that UNT obtained.

Too bad they couldn't be basketball member only schools.

And I would hope CUSA isn't concentrating on the Belt. Benson will make sure that conference implodes with no help from the outside.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Maybe a lateral move is a bit... of an overstatement. But having 2 more schools that have never played a down of BCS football join nUTSAck (brilliant name, by the by) cheapens the brand of CUSA football, and thus cheapens the hard fought invite that UNT obtained.

And I would hope CUSA isn't concentrating on the Belt. Benson will make sure that conference implodes with no help from the outside.

ODU has very deep pockets and has already committed to upgrading their football facilities and product on the field. They have been 28-7 over their first three years, I feel very confident in their ability to improve quickly.

Charlotte is a bit of a question mark, but with App State showing no desire to move up I'd expect them to improve rapidly as well.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the dysfunctional family that is CUSA. If you can't tell by the nick Im a Marshall fan.

The two adds that I think are the best adds at this point are UNT and ODU. Even though ODUs stadium is only 20K, they have sold out every game they have played at home and have a 3K waiting list for season tickets. They were egibile for the playoffs last year for the 1st time last year. They went 10-3 and lost in the 2nd round to powerhouse Georgia Southern 55-48. Their facilities are on par with the rest of CUSA except for the football stadium. It's unclear if they just expand their stadium or build a new one.

• Upvote 1

i think the additions of ODU, which untill recently i thought was a brand of bourbon, and UNC/Charlotte were to pacify Marshall and ECU. ODU will need 2 years to move up to 1a football, and Charlotte will not field a team until 2013. in the short term, either Tulane or La. Tech will probably play in the Eastern Division to create two 6 team divisions. i would think La. Tech would draw the short straw as the new kid on the block.

I'm with you...I was amazed by how many folks on the board "love" these additions. Who knows, maybe all 3 end up being very strong programs 5-7 years down the road, but additions like this scream "SUNBELT!" to me, so I'm just not excited by the adding of these three. I truly hope they prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So what are the rumors that OD may not be a done deal? MUTS might backdoor them?

I think the ODU invite came rather quickly to them. I think its more about getting their BOT in place to have a meeting than anything else. The president or AD can't publicly say they are moving without the BOT approving a move to a different conference.

From what Ive read in 3 different places is that CUSA had a few contacts with MTSU. And the MTSU president said they felt more comfy in the Sun Belt. I think it is dumbfounding if they are not willing to grow their athletics and move. This would be the biggest non move since 1992. When Marshall had an open invite to join the Metro Conference when VA Tech left them standing at the alter and joined the BE. The leadership at Marshall turned it down, very shortsighted on our leaders. I think University Tennessee everyday for hiring J Wade Giley.

Edited by HerdZone