UTSA to C-USA - CBS Sports article

Sun Belt 2.0. Let's face it, this will really do nothing to improve our position.

I am mobile.

UTSA notwithstanding, you're telling me that Tulsa, Rice, UTEP are not improvements over LA Monroe, MTSU and FAU? And they're all driveable? Dude, seriously, we just went 6-37 against a bunch of Pop Warner teams. We can't be Alabama just yet. This is a great stepping stone.

• Upvote 5

UTSA, La Tech, FIU and NT, not exactly a bunch of powerhouses. It apparently is all about the tv contracts, but that doesn't explain La Tech. I am obviously prejudiced; but NT looks absolutely stellar compared to the other three. FIU has a big market but lacks facilities and support and even for Eastern CUSA is not exactly close. La Tech to me is the most surprising, it doesn't fit their market criteria and is a relatively small school with limited resources. Positives are they seem to be always competitive in football and are close to NT. UTSA proves that IMO that hype does sell, have done absolutely nothing to deserve starting out in CUSA but be located in a big city.

CUSA in this configuration is not a big step up from the Belt, but it would be absolutely horrible for the program to be left in the Belt. Looking forward to drivable games against UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, and La Tech. From a regional concept, it couldn't get a whole lot better.

• Upvote 2

IMO, the last thing we want is another Texas D1 program recruiting against us in our own conference. At least if they were in the Belt or a dying WAC we would have a better conference affiliation as an extra advantage.

Another Texas D1 program recruiting against us??? Name the last one to do so. This is something we have never had to worry about and frankly i would much rather have that problem then be in a conference with a bunch of teams out student body could care less about.

• Upvote 3

IMO, the last thing we want is another Texas D1 program recruiting against us in our own conference. At least if they were in the Belt or a dying WAC we would have a better conference affiliation as an extra advantage.

Another Texas D1 program recruiting against us??? Name the last one to do so. This is something we have never had to worry about and frankly i would much rather have that problem then be in a conference with a bunch of teams out student body could care less about.

Not sure of your point. All teams recruit against one another whether they are in the same conference or not. Frankly, if you believe the ratings: NT was at the bottom of Texas recruiting last year way behind Texas State, and about even with UTSA and UTEP.

Actually if it falls as most now predict, it will change very little in Texas recruiting. It will give UTSA a big boost, and put NT on an even field with UTEP and Rice and a step above Texas State but NT is going to be even further behind TCU and SMU. It should help more out of state with NT being on the same stage as Tulsa and should give an advantage over the teams remaining in the Belt.

I hope the student body supports the team more, but I don't think playing in CUSA is going to in itself significantly increase attendance. There is not a team in the new CUSA that is going to excite many fans, and I really don't believe just because they are closer they are going to entice many more fans out to the stadium.

Edited by GrandGreen

La Tech to me is the most surprising, it doesn't fit their market criteria and is a relatively small school with limited resources. Positives are they seem to be always competitive in football and are close to NT. UTSA proves that IMO that hype does sell, have done absolutely nothing to deserve starting out in CUSA but be located in a big city.

I assume that C-USA is inviting both UTSA and LaTech in part to balance each other out. UTSA brings terrible athletics and no facilities, but a decent TV market. LaTech doesn't bring any TV sets, but it does bring some athletic credibility, particularly football credibility. Neither one is very attractive by itself, but together they bring most of what a conference is looking for (outside of facilities).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm interested on how the crossover scheduling will happen... you have 5 games in your pod and need another 2-3 from the other pod.. I wonder how they will determine that fairly..

It will likely be the same as it is currently: every year, you play all five teams in your division and three teams in the other division on a rotating basis. For example, Houston rotated between Southern Miss-Memphis-Central Florida and UAB-Marshall-East Carolina every two years (one year home and the other year away).

If you play three home games and two away games in your division, you get one home game and two road games from the other division. And vice versa, such that you have the same amount of home and away conference games every year.

Edited by Industrial Coog
  • Upvote 1

I invite anyone here who is dissatisfied to lay me out a plan to get UNT into the SEC or Big XII right now with current members welcoming us with open arms. The standards that people demand, I'm shocked that every single UNT fan isn't a Viper driving CEO. Never should one settle for less, present realities be damned.

Exactly. We're finally getting what we've wanted and just cause UTSA is probably going to come along for the ride, we're all pissed now and would rather stay in the Belt? They in no way represent a deal beaker for me in this scenario. Not ideal (agree with 97 & 03 that WKU or MTSU are better overall athletics adds), but when has anything in North Texas' Athletics history been ideal?

• Upvote 3

I get wanting to be special because we've been in this thing longer. I get wanting to be in a more prestigious conference in relation to the southern texas schools.

What is most important is to embrace the good that comes from this. Regional-ness, at a time when UT is trading A&M for TCU is a selling point. It is one more bullet point to put on the advertisements. It makes UNT interesting. Come 2013, Danny Mac will have a decent squad to stomp on UTSA and then everyone can talk mess when UTSA BBall comes to the Super Pit and the cycle of fan hate can begin.

I don't know how any of this is a downer.

Better TV deal? Yes

Better teams? Sorta

Recognizable teams? Yes

Texas rivals? Yep.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't care for this move. I don't care that much for San Antonio and it is crazy to add them as they are just starting out. I would have preferred MUTS or Wky, as they have very styrong overall athletic programs.

I guess I understand it, but I just don't buy the San Antonio market argument. It isn't that significant nationally. Maybe if there is an Alamo Bowl tie-in that is going to come with this move it makes better sense.

With the exception of not liking the conference move, I agree totally that WKU and especially the MUTs have by far more established and competitive athletics compared to UTSA and are much more deserving of another conference invite.

I have no doubt that UTSA will eventually grow into their athletics, but it just doesn't seem fair..... Wouldn't be surprised if Banowsky expressed to UNT's athletic brain trust, "we learned from our past mistake with UNT"! Bit hollow thought after all these years...

• Upvote 1

Sun Belt 2.0. Let's face it, this will really do nothing to improve our position.

I am mobile.

Is mobile a code word for fool.

1. CUSA pays more than the SBC. Even a reworked CUSA deal will be better than the SBC deal.

2. Divisional play is cheaper.

3. In-state rivals.

• Upvote 2

Could a new bowl game be a part of what UTSA brings to CUSA? Maybe a sponsor who would only sponsor a bowl game at the Alamodome with CUSA tie in if CUSA took UTSA?

Really hate that they get in, and will give them all the respect they deserve, which is none.

Really crazy move by CUSA.

Glad there were no takers on that bet. :-)

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Could a new bowl game be a part of what UTSA brings to CUSA? Maybe a sponsor who would only sponsor a bowl game at the Alamodome with CUSA tie in if CUSA took UTSA?

Really hate that they get in, and will give them all the respect they deserve, which is none.

Really crazy move by CUSA.

Glad there were no takers on that bet. :-)

I don't think the NCAA will let them make a new bowl game, but they could purchase an existing game and move it to San Antonio. The Potato Bowl should be availible.

• Upvote 1

Or UTEP or Rice.

Or nearby Tulsa or LA Tech.

This alignment is perfect for us.

LaTech or Tulsa will be our rival. It's pretty obvious that UTEP and UTSA will be each others chief rival.

...and yeah, this is still better than 'Sun Belt 2.0' where we have exactly zero rivals after 10 years of play.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

UTSA, La Tech, FIU and NT, not exactly a bunch of powerhouses. It apparently is all about the tv contracts, but that doesn't explain La Tech. I am obviously prejudiced; but NT looks absolutely stellar compared to the other three. FIU has a big market but lacks facilities and support and even for Eastern CUSA is not exactly close. La Tech to me is the most surprising, it doesn't fit their market criteria and is a relatively small school with limited resources. Positives are they seem to be always competitive in football and are close to NT. UTSA proves that IMO that hype does sell, have done absolutely nothing to deserve starting out in CUSA but be located in a big city.

CUSA in this configuration is not a big step up from the Belt, but it would be absolutely horrible for the program to be left in the Belt. Looking forward to drivable games against UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, and La Tech. From a regional concept, it couldn't get a whole lot better.

I think that all those schools who will apparently join us in this expansion know they are behind North Texas in the facilities arms race, but we don't need to go into a 15 year funk of not improving or adding to what we have. Seems an indoor practice facility would be toward the top of the list of our next project and of course, a men's varsity baseball stadium which I think will happen sooner than later.

North Texas officials need to also work on a viable plan of gettting 31,000 fans out for each game out of a metro population center of almost 7,000,000 citizens and hire the right additional ancillary staff who can and will make this happen. Our UNT constituency coupled with the the DFW Metroplex population numbers should make this more than do-able.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Ugh.

If the only reason, or the MAIN reason, anyone is in favor of bringing up UTSA is because of the travel and because you love San Antonio, then you can't see the forest for the trees.

Bringing up UTSA introduces yet another competitor (now a DIRECT competitor) for recruits... in ALL sports. It was already hard enough with TCU (now MUCH more difficult), SMU & Houston. Now all of those schools are "big-boy" schools. So get ready for lots of Chase Walling scenarios with them.

Overall, a very nice play by San Antonio's media. The other Dan McCarney deserves a raise, or at least a spot bonus directly from UTSA. Scare everyone into thinking that you are going to 'lose out' on this sleeping giant of Texas athletics. From now on, UTSA's battle cry will be "Remember South Florida!"

I'm not a fan. If we're going to support bringing up a non-FBS school, it should be TX St. with actual ON-CAMPUS facilities and at least a HISTORY of a football program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Although I'm not exactly thrilled about jumping into bed with UTSA, this would obviously be much better than continuing to tread water in the SBC. Instead of being one FULL step behind the Texas schools that are heading to the Big East, we now (hopefully) will just be a half step behind. Nice stepping stone, and nice regional teams that most will recognize. I suspect that the influence of "UT" in UTSA's name is helping them out with this undeserved opportunity, because a few extra TV sets coming out of SA shouldn't be providing CUSA with enough added value to vault UTSA past a more deserving TSUSM.

• Upvote 4

Well, if you're UTSA where do you go? If everybody took the strategy of avoiding upstarts then they have no home, despite an obvious commitment to joining and competing at the highest level.

I agree this does not "elevate" the immediate perception or competitiveness of the league, but IMO it is a rather myopic business model to ignore somebody because they are new.

They go to the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1