UTSA to C-USA - CBS Sports article

The article didn't mention UTEP to the MWC and read that CUSA would have 12 teams. So CUSA could have 4 Texas schools, plus 2 Louisiana and Tulsa! That is a lot of reasonable travel games.

I'm not thrilled about an FBS start up, but the overall gain off sets that. Until we win, I don't call anyone an easy game!

Hopefully we won't have to endure this conference realignment speculation until the proposed June C-USA announcement. If the article holds true, I hope UT board of regent’s sign off quickly and the dominos start falling... My feeling is we still have a couple more loops on the ole rollercoaster.

If the full merger were still on the table, I don't think there's any way UTSA gets an invite. They were told just a couple of months ago that, while they were doing all the right things, they were still a few years away from being a candidate. Now that we again have two separate conferences, there are several more holes to fill.

CUSA East

FIU

ECU

Marshall

UAB

Southern Miss

Tulane

CUSA West

UTEP

UTSA

UNT

Rice

Tulsa

LT

So assuming all of this is true ... if LT is the fouth team added then either them or Tulane will go to the East (I'd guess Tulane but who knows). If they add an eastern team like UNCC then LT would be left out ... again .. and Tulane would go west.

I'm really surprised UTSA would get in but whatever.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

We're going from 0 Texas teams to 3...I'm good with that.

Me too, and it makes sense. You lose DFW (SMU) and south Texas state school (UH). You replace with another DFW and south Texas state school. If this is the way it works out, I think it's terrific. The more regional teams for UNT, the better.

• Upvote 2

I am going to get a hotel room on the river walk, eat everything in site, and drink every beer in and outside of that stadium. It will fun. All the haters should be happy because it will be really fun. Not to mention its a reason for friends to meet down there. Additionally, I love the Longhorn Cafe.

• Upvote 3

I am going to get a hotel room on the river walk, eat everything in site, and drink every beer in and outside of that stadium. It will fun. All the haters should be happy because it will be really fun. Not to mention its a reason for friends to meet down there. Additionally, I love the Longhorn Cafe.

Being from South Texas and having family and friends who go/went to UTSA I am looking forward to going to San Antone and whooping up on them. I can't wait to dominate this series.

• Upvote 1

Playing Las Vegas Community College would be a fun road trip, too. But it would do nothing to enhance the perception of the conference.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to poo-poo on this but I think this is a BAD strategic decision on the part of CUSA.

Well, if you're UTSA where do you go? If everybody took the strategy of avoiding upstarts then they have no home, despite an obvious commitment to joining and competing at the highest level.

I agree this does not "elevate" the immediate perception or competitiveness of the league, but IMO it is a rather myopic business model to ignore somebody because they are new.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sun Belt 2.0. Let's face it, this will really do nothing to improve our position.

I am mobile.

I usually agree with many of the things you say, but how is playing Tulsa, Rice, and even UTSA, along with the Southern Miss's and and La Tech's of the world not better than the teams in the Belt?

If the argument is that CUSA is somehow weaker now, that might be the case...but say if there was some magic formula that determined CUSA 2.0 is at the same strength level of the Belt, our fans will still relate more to these teams, which will increase attendance, which will increase the game day experience, which will in turn increase the face of our program.

Just think about the large crowds we have had recently...They are all the teams we would be playing in our bracket of CUSA 2.0...only we wouldnhave those crowds game in and game out

Bring in UTSA...I could care less...he'll I even encourage it because it will be one he'll of a road trip...better than going to ark St...la mon, Troy, etc...

• Upvote 6

I usually agree with many of the things you say, but how is playing Tulsa, Rice, and even UTSA, along with the Southern Miss's and and La Tech's of the world not better than the teams in the Belt?

If the argument is that CUSA is somehow weaker now, that might be the case...but say if there was some magic formula that determined CUSA 2.0 is at the same strength level of the Belt, our fans will still relate more to these teams, which will increase attendance, which will increase the game day experience, which will in turn increase the face of our program.

Just think about the large crowds we have had recently...They are all the teams we would be playing in our bracket of CUSA 2.0...only we wouldnhave those crowds game in and game out

Bring in UTSA...I could care less...he'll I even encourage it because it will be one he'll of a road trip...better than going to ark St...la mon, Troy, etc...

PLaying Rice, UTEP. Tulane, La Tech and Southern Miss would be MUCH better than the current Sun Belt. I think it is a push by anyone who claims otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Playing Las Vegas Community College would be a fun road trip, too. But it would do nothing to enhance the perception of the conference.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to poo-poo on this but I think this is a BAD strategic decision on the part of CUSA.

I agree.

I would bet ULaLa and Ark St bring as many fans to Denton as UTSA will. The key word there is "fans". That's because UTSA doesn't have any. People are falling in love with those attendance #s (that I predict will fall by 1/2 this season.) Those 35K weren't fans, they were people in San Antonio with nothing else to do and thought, "hey it's free, let's check it out"

As for the TV market, as someone else posted (I believe it was you Flyer) they're 36th in the country behind Nashville, you know, a market that has an established FBS school with recent success and good all around sports and is in the middle of the CUSA footprint.

Kickass road trip? Sure. Will I spend a weekend in SA? Probably. But that has nothing to do with the improvement of our perception and our growth as a legitimate college football program. For the life of me, I don't get the low expectations some have for our program where the standard stops at a fun weekend.

But....it looks like this is happening so no use in whining about it. They won't field anything close to resembling an FBS team for several years. We had better pound the snot out of them when we play them.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Sun Belt 2.0. Let's face it, this will really do nothing to improve our position.

I am mobile.

Maybe you are right nationally ( at least short-term)..... ..... but it puts us in a league some Texas teams which should get us more attention in Texas media... That is help for recruiting and attendance at home games.. or at least I think so. We would absolutely get more visiting fans, more excitment at games, and maybe more UNT fans because of interest.

I say go for it.

• Upvote 5