UNTs Monica Thieu Leads Jeopardy Finals

Wow, youngest to ever win ?

There's a nice story on Ms. Thieu( pronounced TWO) in the Star Telegram this morning.

Rick

....and in the publicity photo she wears her NORTH TEXAS gear. Click on the photo and go to the second one.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/14/3735340/unt-academy-student-wins-jeopardy.html

THIS is the type of student that we need at North Texas. Someone who is not ashamed/afraid to proudly wear their North Texas gear in public.

Culture change.....one student at a time.

....and in the publicity photo she wears her NORTH TEXAS gear. Click on the photo and go to the second one.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/14/3735340/unt-academy-student-wins-jeopardy.html

THIS is the type of student that we need at North Texas. Someone who is not ashamed/afraid to proudly wear their North Texas gear in public.

Culture change.....one student at a time.

To be fair, all the students on College Jeopardy wear stuff from their school on the show. I believe producers make it mandatory.

Great job young lady...the Mean green nation is proud of you! However, I would have been even happier for you and the Mean green Nation if your quote when asked about the winnings wasn't "I might even go to my dream school - either Stanford or Southern California".

UNT could use a few more like you enrolling here in Denton. However, you "done us proud" and you have my sincerest congratulations. Go Monica!

Having been there, I'll tell you that very few if any students in TAMS have a desire or interest to go to North Texas and stay there. You consider it another high school, a stepping stone on the way to something greater.

I remember my first week there WAS a concerted effort to get us all to Fouts for the home opener. I went to every game there for the remainder of my studies. BUT, you're effectively sequestered in McConnell Hall, you're not socializing with regular University students for legal and age-related reasons, and you're taking between 15-18 hours of advanced classes at the ages of 15-18. Quite simply, you're not easily part of the greater university in a lot of respects.

I had 6 schools on my list and North Texas wasn't one of them. However, after being there and in Denton, and really learning more about myself than I could in a regular high school, I rejected 2 top offers and stayed at UNT. It happens, but it's EXTREMELY rare. I was always one to march to the beat of my own drummer. Quite frankly, at TAMS, you're in the top fraction of a percent academically. If given the option of those schools that are also in that top percent, that's who you will choose. If you want more students to stay from TAMS, you have to convince them (and in many cases, THEIR PARENTS) that the school they've been planning on since the 5th grade isn't the best fit for them. You don't sit there when taking the ACT in the 7th grade and think "SOME DAY, I HOPE TO GO TO NORTH TEXAS!" You don't look at Stanford and MIT's rankings in Engineering and arbitrarily include an unranked program at North Texas.

On top of that, at least when I was there, as a TAMS student, you're automatically qualified for the scholarship that A&M and UT Austin provide to those that finish in the top 10% of their class. Which means if you include one of those schools in your application process, you're guaranteed acceptance and an academic scholarship. Both of those schools at the time were higher ranked in my chosen fields of study (and likely still are).

This is just the reality - what the University is up against when it comes to getting TAMS students to stay. Just appreciate what they can accomplish in their time here, and hope for more oddballs like me.

• Upvote 6

Having been there, I'll tell you that very few if any students in TAMS have a desire or interest to go to North Texas and stay there. You consider it another high school, a stepping stone on the way to something greater.

I remember my first week there WAS a concerted effort to get us all to Fouts for the home opener. I went to every game there for the remainder of my studies. BUT, you're effectively sequestered in McConnell Hall, you're not socializing with regular University students for legal and age-related reasons, and you're taking between 15-18 hours of advanced classes at the ages of 15-18. Quite simply, you're not easily part of the greater university in a lot of respects.

I had 6 schools on my list and North Texas wasn't one of them. However, after being there and in Denton, and really learning more about myself than I could in a regular high school, I rejected 2 top offers and stayed at UNT. It happens, but it's EXTREMELY rare. I was always one to march to the beat of my own drummer. Quite frankly, at TAMS, you're in the top fraction of a percent academically. If given the option of those schools that are also in that top percent, that's who you will choose. If you want more students to stay from TAMS, you have to convince them (and in many cases, THEIR PARENTS) that the school they've been planning on since the 5th grade isn't the best fit for them. You don't sit there when taking the ACT in the 7th grade and think "SOME DAY, I HOPE TO GO TO NORTH TEXAS!" You don't look at Stanford and MIT's rankings in Engineering and arbitrarily include an unranked program at North Texas.

On top of that, at least when I was there, as a TAMS student, you're automatically qualified for the scholarship that A&M and UT Austin provide to those that finish in the top 10% of their class. Which means if you include one of those schools in your application process, you're guaranteed acceptance and an academic scholarship. Both of those schools at the time were higher ranked in my chosen fields of study (and likely still are).

This is just the reality - what the University is up against when it comes to getting TAMS students to stay. Just appreciate what they can accomplish in their time here, and hope for more oddballs like me.

MP, just curious. It what did you end up degreeing in, and what field did you pursue?

Rick

MP, just curious. It what did you end up degreeing in, and what field did you pursue?

Rick

Originally, my studies were in Zoology/Biology (this is where I was focused at TAMS). I studied Psychology and Cognitive Science early Post-TAMS while I burnt out. My FINAL degree was in Art/Computer Graphics and English/Creative Writing. I graduated with such exciting and useless electives as Calculus 2 and Physics: Electricity and Magnetism.

I have worked as an: Information Broker, Library Technician, Environmental Management Technical Writer, Screenwriter, Actor, Script Supervisor, Script Doctor, Graphic Artist, Managing Director of Medicare Billing, and this one time I helped roof my brother's house. They don't put me in the TAMS brochure.

• Upvote 2