10 UNT Exhibition Game Impressions

Harry

1. Great Crowd, maybe the best I'd seen for an exhibition. Driving home I heard George say 3800+ and even Johnny mentioned it in the post game interview.

2. A lot of raw talent that needs to be refined through game day experience. I will tell you this, Jordan Williams will be my favorite player to watch over the next 4 seasons. He had an off night scoring but I love his athleticism and desire. If Johnny can get this kid to play within himself and the system WATCH out. The play of the night was when he went after a loose ball and jumped over several OK City players earning him a handshake from their coach.

3. We miss big George but Edwards showed me that he might be able to help carry the load in the second half. He looks like a different guy out there.

4. There are so many new guys in different combinations that it may take 10 games before they truly gel.

5. Brendon Walton impressed me...he has a nice touch and some swagger.

6. I see this as a team that may live and die by the jump shot more than last season.

6b. Was there some big event at Gateway Center? There were a ton of cars parked out there. I had to park on the other side of Fouts!

7. Chris Jones is a stud, very polished and a great ball handler. He and Norris make a good ball handling combo although listing Norris at 6-0 is crazy he may be 5-9 or 5-10 at best.

8. I'm not sure where Alzee fits in.

8b. We have to put a new video and scoreboard and screen on the top of the wish list. I remember cussing Helwig when we put those tiny screens up on either side. After viewing the big screen at Apogee these screens look like my IPhone videos!

9. As great as it was to watch all the new guys I couldn't help but think of how the team would look with Tony in the mix. I'm guessing that others were thinking the same thing.

10. It was great to be in the Super Pit. I didn't want to leave, the game seemed to go by too fast. I left thinking It's going to be fun this year.

Any update on the Super Pit renovations?

UNT men BBall have FINALLY ditched the Wilson Uniforms!!!!!

Looks like Nike is now across the board for all sports.

It really showed how young this team is because there seemed to be alot of miscommunication on offense.

Too much standing around, not enough movement away from the ball.

Rebounding and shot selection needs alot of improvement.

Very excited about Fridays game

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Chris Jones is the real deal. He looked the most impressive tonight.

2. I was a bit let down by the play of Jordan Williams, I had high hopes for him. Hopefully he just had some rust to shake off and will come out strong.

3. Nice crowd but it was a little dead on the student side, probably because it was an exhibition game, no need to worry.

4. Last year did the players have their names on the back of their jerseys?

Must agree chris jones was good and will be fun to watch. I'm wondering how Niko will play out this year, I thought he was suppose to be sharp shooter but i saw him more inside than out. And as mention in another thread, those were the baggiest jersey's I have ever seen. The shorts almost looked like pants.

Holmen seemed like a completely different player... nowhere near as timid with the ball or on defense when compared to last year.

Chris Jones has something.

Niko may have something... but his something is VERY raw.

I'm really looking forward to Jordan Williams Junior and Senior seasons after he puts on about 15 or 20 pounds of muscle in his upper body.

Did I really see a 7-footer hit a 3 in a non pregame warmup situation?

No visible issues with Norris backing up Jones for the next 4 years at PG.

I require more dunking.

Well that's what I was worried about with Nike jerseys. Look at Texas' Nike jerseys, compression top and GIANT shorts.

We were commenting on how HUGE those skirts/shorts were too. Definitely the new Nike stuff. They were selling Nike basketball merchandise too.

Even before upgrading the video boards, I think the sound system needs work. Not much bass from what we have.

There were may surprises, but the two best for me where Jacob Holmen and Chris Jones. Holmen looked poised, confident and like a seasoned veteran. I think he might be a major contributor this year. Remember he is extremely fast too as a former track star. Chris Jones will be a fantastic PG in this and years to come - no doubt about this.

Chris Jones looked incredibly poised on the ball...I love the way he went to the defensive glass pulling down 6 defensive rebounds (7 total) and he played really good on the ball defense...however he did finish the night with a 1:4 assist to turnover ratio. That clearly needs to improve...and I anticipate it will as he learns more what passes worked in high school that won't at the college level.

If he doesn't figure that out quickly, though...I'm fine with seeing more Trey Norris on the ball. 5:0 assist to turnover...1-2 from 3...2 boards and a steal in just 18 minutes. The point guard position looks set here for a while.

Jordan Williams was clearly pressing last night...but man, the cup of athleticism and potential over-floweth. Despite his off shooting (1-6, 1-3 from 3pt) he did a great job of staying in the game by attacking the glass (6 rebounds) and defensively (2 blocks). He may not be ready to be a featured scorer yet, but he will contribute all over the court this year.

Alzee played his role...slash and defend...I still think he has more scoring potential, but we'll see.

Walton will see 10 minutes a night...he can stretch the defense a bit.

Edwards looked considerably more mobile...he went hard at the glass (9 total boards) and he will prove a huge asset this season. He and Ked missed some bunnies, but you have to love having two experienced, high-motor guys inside to do the dirty work...their junk-dog mentality will come in especially handy once T-Mitch suits up.

Niko and Robinson can both contribute. They're 6'10" with range. That is valuable.

Holmen is still a wild card...10 points in 10 minutes is great, but I feel he still needs a better grasp of what a good shot looks like. Plus a pass every once in a while isn't a terrible thing.

My thoughts on the season's (until Tony) rotation:

No Franklin:

- PG - Jones, 20 min...Norris, 20 min

- SG - Alzee, 20 min...Walton, 10 min...Jones, 10 min

- SF - J. Williams, 25 min...Holmen, 10 min...Alzee, 5 min

- PF - Edwards, 25 min...Holmen, 10 min...Hogans, 5 min

- C - Hogans, 25 min...Niko / Robinson, 15 min

Total - Jones, 30 min...Hogans, 30 min...Alzee, 25 min...J. Williams, 25 min...Edwards, 25 min...Norris, 20 min...Holmen, 20 min...Niko/Robinson, 15 min...Walton, 10 min

With Franklin:

- PG - Jones, 20 min...Norris, 20 min

- SG - Alzee, 25 min...Jones, 10 min...Walton, 5 min

- SF - Franklin, 20 min...Williams, 20 min

- PF - Edwards, 20 min...Holmen, 15 min...Franklin, 5 min

- C - Hogans, 30 min...Niko/Robinson, 5 min...Edwards, 5 min

Total - Jones, 30 min...Hogans, 30 min...Alzee, 25 min...Franklin, 25 min...Edwards, 25 min...Norris, 20 min...J. Williams, 20 min...Holmen, 15 min...Walton, 5 min...Niko/Robinson, 5 min.

I think this year we will be better defensively and now every player we have on the court is capable of rebounding. Over the next four years we are going to be outstanding at the PG position with Jones and Norris (who was much better than I could have imagined). I don't remember us ever getting our hands on so many balls as we did last night, I think we will get more steals and blocks than previous seasons. We need to work on closing out on shooters and taking the ball to the basket more. We are only going to get better.

i guess i watched a different game from you all last night...

I saw a team that was very mediocre and sloppy on the court... i don't know how much JJ is playing with the roster and ideas on what he wants to do this year, but the starting 5 looked pretty meh...

Hogans... not the leader he needs to be right now...

I'm not saying this team is bad, or can't improve, I just think this team is where I expected it to be at, about an 18 win team... they have a lot of season to play and after Friday, they are going to have a rough stretch of basketball that's going to make this team grow up in a hurry.

I saw a team that was very mediocre and sloppy on the court... i don't know how much JJ is playing with the roster and ideas on what he wants to do this year, but the starting 5 looked pretty meh...

I'm not saying this team is bad, or can't improve, I just think this team is where I expected it to be at, about an 18 win team... they have a lot of season to play and after Friday, they are going to have a rough stretch of basketball that's going to make this team grow up in a hurry.

Same game.

Every one saw a sloppy offense. The taller, more athletic club created problems on the defensive end. So there was less opportunity to see half-courts like we are accustomed to.

It's not a fun game to watch right now because we are used to seeing a fluid player turnover the last few seasons, which allowed for some familiarity and continuity from game 1 to the next season's game 1.

Almost a complete overhaul on our roster this year, especially in regards to offense. Look for a lot of hustle and havoc on the defensive end while JJ's offense is developed with these guys.

I am optimistic.

**EDIT:

I am thinking of Josh White's first game. I don't think the offense was pretty back then either, just that Josh had a fantastic Mean Green premier that gave us the win.

Edited by greenminer

Chris Jones looked incredibly poised on the ball...I love the way he went to the defensive glass pulling down 6 defensive rebounds (7 total) and he played really good on the ball defense...however he did finish the night with a 1:4 assist to turnover ratio. That clearly needs to improve...and I anticipate it will as he learns more what passes worked in high school that won't at the college level.

If he doesn't figure that out quickly, though...I'm fine with seeing more Trey Norris on the ball. 5:0 assist to turnover...1-2 from 3...2 boards and a steal in just 18 minutes. The point guard position looks set here for a while.

Jordan Williams was clearly pressing last night...but man, the cup of athleticism and potential over-floweth. Despite his off shooting (1-6, 1-3 from 3pt) he did a great job of staying in the game by attacking the glass (6 rebounds) and defensively (2 blocks). He may not be ready to be a featured scorer yet, but he will contribute all over the court this year.

Alzee played his role...slash and defend...I still think he has more scoring potential, but we'll see.

Walton will see 10 minutes a night...he can stretch the defense a bit.

Edwards looked considerably more mobile...he went hard at the glass (9 total boards) and he will prove a huge asset this season. He and Ked missed some bunnies, but you have to love having two experienced, high-motor guys inside to do the dirty work...their junk-dog mentality will come in especially handy once T-Mitch suits up.

Niko and Robinson can both contribute. They're 6'10" with range. That is valuable.

Holmen is still a wild card...10 points in 10 minutes is great, but I feel he still needs a better grasp of what a good shot looks like. Plus a pass every once in a while isn't a terrible thing.

I thought Jones looked real good and he had one awesome pass in the second half that left my mouth agape. Sweet bounce pass with maybe a couple of inches on either side of the ball that led to an easy bucket. Norris must have been measured with the same tape they used for Josh and DoMo. I came away less impressed with him than Jones, but your points give me something else to consider.

Williams, looked like he could/should have been better. You are spot on with the potential though and I can't wait to see him develop.

Robinson looks like he needs to be introduced to the weight bench, though his size and range is an awesome combination. Niko seems to play shorter than his height. I though Holmen looked really good last night (to be fair, he is one of my favorite players). JJ mentioned in the post game that Holmen was banged up and that is why his minutes were limited. I am very encouraged by his play and look for a huge improvement over where he was last season.

I agree to a certain extent. It was only a mediocre performance with flashes of good things to come. I think this team has enormous potential, and my positive impressions/review took into account (1) mostly new players, including many freshman, whg never played together before this game (2) JJ literally changed the entire line up throughout the game (makes it very hard to develop offensive or defensive coherence and rhythm) (3) we played, well, Oklahoma City which is hard for even new players to get excited about (4) we treated this game like a practice, which it was, and you got the feeling we could have run up the score as high as we wanted.

If timid with the ball means shooting every time you touch it, you are on the money!

close... but more of him having a general idea of what he is going to do when he starts his dribble and following through with the plan. it was nice to watch him not change his mind after making a decision. he showed some experience and executed.

i think we will all be cool with his excessive shooting if he can stay out of any slumps.