Green Brigade

ColoradoEagle

5. The Green Brigade always marches with a "straight leg corps style". I don't know about this whole "military" vs. "show band" style you're talking about. They always march the same... I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The only thing I can determine he is talking about is either the type of music being played or the marching sets designed for the music.

Edited by UNTFan23

Well, there is the "corps style" and that is what most of the bands use today, including North Texas. The military style is used by colleges like A & M and Va Tech's Highty Tighties. I believe Silver's reference to the "show band"style is what colleges used to use and some still do, especially for the pre-game...think about Ohio State's "dotting the i" The historically black colleges have a "high-stepping" style all their own. Finally, there are the "scatter" bands like Stanford and Rice.

There will be a quiz next week so study hard!

Edited by letsgiveacheer

Hey, Kaleb, instead of getting defensive, how about YOU be open minded about what the crowd wants to see?

What was I being close minded about? Points 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are all factually based.

As to point 3- I was merely trying to summarize why the band plays what/when they do.

As to point 7- Are we really that "old school" that we can't have boys in color guard? Often times the most talented members of Drum Corps Color Guard are the guys. I think not wanting guys in colorguard is close minded.

I don't see where I was being defensive, rather just explaining the reasons about why the GB does what the GB does.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As to point 7- Are we really that "old school" that we can't have boys in color guard? Often times the most talented members of Drum Corps Color Guard are the guys. I think not wanting guys in colorguard is close-minded.

But what if people think they are gay? WHAT IF THEY ARE GAY?? OMG!!! What will we tell the children?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

What was I being close minded about? Points 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are all factually based.

As to point 3- I was merely trying to summarize why the band plays what/when they do.

As to point 7- Are we really that "old school" that we can't have boys in color guard? Often times the most talented members of Drum Corps Color Guard are the guys. I think not wanting guys in colorguard is close minded.

I don't see where I was being defensive, rather just explaining the reasons about why the GB does what the GB does.

Well it came off as being defensive, at least to me. We all agree that the GB sounds great, but many want to step up the pregame show to match some of the other "big time" programs, now that we have upgraded our stadium.

As for the uniforms, like it was pointed out, the Allen HS Band which is around 500+ members can get their uniforms, then so can we. Maybe the GB needs to change supplier?

As to the males in the color guard, everyone has the right to their opinion, instead of calling them "close minded", be "open minded" that there are those with different views, and let it go.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

.... Do we really have nothing better to criticize than the Number 1 Collegiate Marching Band in the nation?

As I said, when they put their instruments up to their mouths and start playing, I agree that we have probably the best band in the nation. But (once again) our showmanship/pagentry sucks. Because of that, I disagreed with that bleacher report article

1. There are more than 320 members in the GB. There just aren't enough uniforms. They are working on other alternatives so that way everybody can be in a uniform of some kind. As an alumnus of the GB- we definitely have worn our uniforms in the heat- we aren't wimps. There just aren't enough uniforms for them this year.

I'm fine with caps t-shirts and shorts for early season. It's not as if the game was on national TV.

2. The logo draws its image from the "angles" side of the breast plate. It is definitely a North Texas based logo.

No it's not. It's the creation of people in the Green Brigade who seem to think that they are exempt from wearing/displaying the official North Texas logos/images like the rest of us.

3. The GB will never be "as good as it used to be"

spare me the drama queen non-response. Because unless there are a liberal sprinkling of future lab band and/or orchestra performers in the GB, then the GB will in fact never be as good as the band used to be when Mr. McAdow directed it. .

4. The band plays the same "fanfare" every defensive third down- ending in "North Texas Fiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt!!!" Which typically is what gets the crowd yelling. You're welcome.

What the band plays to prompt the crowd to participate in the "NT fight" yell is not a fanfare. You accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about. But you don't seem to know that a fanfare is what MOST college marching bands play as the beginning of their grand entrance. And it's also the musical segue to playing the schools fight song....and getting the crowd pumped and into the game. What the GB does is saunter onto the field in a very boring manner, and then positions themselves, and then start playing.....not exciting and not what the North Texas band of my youth used to do.

5. The Green Brigade always marches with a "straight leg corps style". I don't know about this whole "military" vs. "show band" style you're talking about. They always march the same... I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Really? Well I think you might be (like most of the people in the school of music) artistically aloof and under the delusion/illusion that the school of music is not subject to being critiqued by the blue collar unwashed masses.

When I say military style I mean the staight leg saunter style which is how the band enters the field in the pre-game and half time. Show band is anything that is faster moving.....which I guess is the drum and bugle corp like movement...but I much prefer a high stepping high energy style.

Here's the bottom line. The Band should be promoting spirit and getting the crowd worked up and excited. Sauntering out on the field to get into position to play IS NOT EXCITING.

Also, we (supposedly) have the best drum line in the country and the Band enters the field with a rim tap? What a waste of musical resources.

6. They play the fight song and spell out UNT with their limited pregame time... What other "North Texas-ey" spirit thing could they do?

We have the same pre-game time as any other D-1 school. Just do it with more style and pageantry....you know, just like the best school of music in the nation might do.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really? Well I think you might be (like most of the people in the school of music) artistically aloof and under the delusion/illusion that the school of music is not subject to being critiqued by the blue collar unwashed masses.

When I say military style I mean the staight leg saunter style which is how the band enters the field in the pre-game and half time. Show band is anything that is faster moving.....which I guess is the drum and bugle corp like movement...but I much prefer a high stepping high energy style.

Here's the bottom line. The Band should be promoting spirit and getting the crowd worked up and excited. Sauntering out on the field to get into position to play IS NOT EXCITING.

Also, we (supposedly) have the best drum line in the country and the Band enters the field with a rim tap? What a waste of musical resources.

I guessed right. You want the band to march around in squares to basic marches. Meh. I don't think you'd like attending many high school (and I'm sure higher levels of competition) marching band contests as "show band" is the style most everyone is doing in today's world. It's the style of marching I did in high school ... in the mid 90s.

I guessed right. You want the band to march around in squares to basic marches. Meh. I don't think you'd like attending many high school (and I'm sure higher levels of competition) marching band contests as "show band" is the style most everyone is doing in today's world. It's the style of marching I did in high school ... in the mid 90s.

And just which orifice did you pull that ridiculous idea from?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

.... Do we really have nothing better to criticize than the Number 1 Collegiate Marching Band in the nation?

As I said, when they put their instruments up to their mouths and start playing, I agree that we have probably the best band in the nation. But (once again) our showmanship/pagentry sucks. Because of that, I disagreed with that bleacher report article

1. There are more than 320 members in the GB. There just aren't enough uniforms. They are working on other alternatives so that way everybody can be in a uniform of some kind. As an alumnus of the GB- we definitely have worn our uniforms in the heat- we aren't wimps. There just aren't enough uniforms for them this year.

I'm fine with caps t-shirts and shorts for early season. It's not as if the game was on national TV.

2. The logo draws its image from the "angles" side of the breast plate. It is definitely a North Texas based logo.

No it's not. It's the creation of people in the Green Brigade who seem to think that they are exempt from wearing/displaying the official North Texas logos/images like the rest of us.

3. The GB will never be "as good as it used to be"

spare me the drama queen non-response. Because unless there are a liberal sprinkling of future lab band and/or orchestra performers in the GB, then the GB will in fact never be as good as the band used to be when Mr. McAdow directed it. .

4. The band plays the same "fanfare" every defensive third down- ending in "North Texas Fiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt!!!" Which typically is what gets the crowd yelling. You're welcome.

What the band plays to prompt the crowd to participate in the "NT fight" yell is not a fanfare. You accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about. But you don't seem to know that a fanfare is what MOST college marching bands play as the beginning of their grand entrance. And it's also the musical segue to playing the schools fight song....and getting the crowd pumped and into the game. What the GB does is saunter onto the field in a very boring manner, and then positions themselves, and then start playing.....not exciting and not what the North Texas band of my youth used to do.

6. They play the fight song and spell out UNT with their limited pregame time... What other "North Texas-ey" spirit thing could they do?

We have the same pre-game time as any other D-1 school. Just do it with more style and pageantry....you know, just like the best school of music in the nation might do.

The GB is a UNT official organization. It therefor has the right to make it's own logo. It draws it's logo from its own uniform. I don't understand the confusion. The logo still has the words University of North Texas i teh North Texas font...

The GB has always had members and future members of Wind Symphony, Symphony Orchestra, and the top lab bands. Always has and always will.

I don't like the pre-game show- I was just explaining it. A few years ago when I interviewed for drum major, it was a 45 minute discussion about how to change pregame. I think it would be cool for the band to be more ridiculous during pregame. I just don't know exactly what I'd do.

So can the football team just play flag football in shorts and t shirts until October because I'm pretty sure it's pretty damn hot for them in full pads as well and they play for 3 hours, not 10 minutes

I would think, on average, that the football players are a weee bit better conditioned to run around in pads for 3 hours than MGB members are conditioned to run around in uniforms for 10 minutes. You're seriously demanding that a significant number of those kids put themselves at serious risk of heat stroke for your aesthetic enjoyment.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would think, on average, that the football players are a weee bit better conditioned to run around in pads for 3 hours than MGB members are conditioned to run around in uniforms for 10 minutes. You're seriously demanding that a significant number of those kids put themselves at serious risk of heat stroke for your aesthetic enjoyment.

You are kidding, right? Wearing uniforms would place a "significant number" of the MGB at "serious risk of heat stroke"? If that is really the case then these kids have serious issues.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are kidding, right? Wearing uniforms would place a "significant number" of the MGB at "serious risk of heat stroke"? If that is really the case then these kids have serious issues.

From the CDC:

Who is at greatest risk for heat-related illness?

Those at greatest risk for heat-related illness include infants and children up to four years of age, people 65 years of age and older, people who are overweight, and people who are ill or on certain medications.

We noticed as the MGB members walked past our tailgate that a good number of them were, well, portly. Wrap them up in a hot uniform, strap on a heavy tuba or drum set, make them march around a football field for a while, and at least one of those kids is likely to fall over. These kids are music majors, not athletes.

If we want to get all seriously statistical and define significant, then I suppose losing one kid each game would come under insignificant, but I'm just not that aggressively hell bent on seeing full blown uniforms for every game.

All this "Suck it up for my personal enjoyment," thinking is right along the lines of rejecting new concussion preventing helmet technology because the helmets are too big and make the players look like bobbleheads.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

From the CDC:

We noticed as the MGB members walked past our tailgate that a good number of them were, well, portly. Wrap them up in a hot uniform, strap on a heavy tuba or drum set, make them march around a football field for a while, and at least one of those kids is likely to fall over. These kids are music majors, not athletes.

If we want to get all seriously statistical and define significant, then I suppose losing one kid each game would come under insignificant, but I'm just not that aggressively hell bent on seeing full blown uniforms for every game.

All this "Suck it up for my personal enjoyment," thinking is right along the lines of rejecting new concussion preventing helmet technology because the helmets are too big and make the players look like bobbleheads.

Not to mention, a band that sounds good is usually the one that is comfortable and happy. I'd rather be entertained by good music than what the band is wearing.

Why are we arguing about this uniform still?

It' not a matter of aesthetics or temperture. The band simply doesn't have enough uniforms. Good, bad, indifferent, poor planning, lack of money- whatever the reason- they just don't have the uniforms.

Calling a "good number of the members.. portly" REALLY? They are a perfectly equally distributed band. Just as fat and skinny as the rest of the nation. That's a silly observation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3