Texas A&M Leaves Big 12

UNTflyer

I have to disagree...if everything goes the way we all want it to, eventually we are going to need that endzone closed off. For aestetic purposes, that will mean the wingzone will need to be removed so the entire endzone will be concrete (the wingzone also is steeper than the rest of the stands). I do think though with the money that we will hopefully have, something very cool can be done in that endzone.

Why? it's a lot of seats (8k?) already. Look at Quest Field in Seattle. Also unique in that the endzone seats looks like a football. I don't think it's as many seats as Apogee in the end zone, but they have plenty of seats elsewhere.

3279778.jpg

Why? it's a lot of seats (8k?) already. Look at Quest Field in Seattle. Also unique in that the endzone seats looks like a football. I don't think it's as many seats as Apogee in the end zone, but they have plenty of seats elsewhere.

3279778.jpg

It is just under 5k seats. Obviously, we would be putting seats directly where it is, but to close off the endzone (without it looking stupid) the wing will need to go. Another option would be to put in an enzone "complex" like TCU did with some suites and stuff. I'm just saying that I don't think the wing will stick for all that long if there is a need for more seats.

• Upvote 1

The first expansion should be over the opposing teams' locker room. In those stadiums where the locker rooms are directly beneath stands, it can get quite loud before the teams run out onto the field.

I've got a friend who played linebacker at UNLV. In the mid-90s, they played at Tennessee. He said their locker room was literally shaking from the noise when the pregame hoopla started (band, Vols running out onto the field, etc.).

And, when they opened the door for the Rebels to run out on the field, the wall of sound hit him so much so that he froze. His position coach, who was behind him, kicked him in the butt and yelled, "Get your ass out there!"

Tennessee whipped them. But, he said the noise before and during the game were intimidating, unlike anywhere else he played.

We're not going to have 100,00+ like Tennessee (yet). But, if we are going to add on, let do it in a way to maximize the noise against our opponents.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The first expansion should be over the opposing teams' locker room. In those stadiums where the locker rooms are directly beneath stands, it can get quite loud before the teams run out onto the field.

I've got a friend who played linebacker at UNLV. In the mid-90s, they played at Tennessee. He said their locker room was literally shaking from the noise when the pregame hoopla started (band, Vols running out onto the field, etc.).

And, when they opened the door for the Rebels to run out on the field, the wall of sound hit him so much so that he froze. His position coach, who was behind him, kicked him in the butt and yelled, "Get your ass out there!"

Tennessee whipped them. But, he said the noise before and during the game were intimidating, unlike anywhere else he played.

We're not going to have 100,00+ like Tennessee (yet). But, if we are going to add on, let do it in a way to maximize the noise against our opponents.

The first expansion will be adding an upper deck to the student side (and hopefully suites in between like at KSU). For what it's worth though, the opposing locker room is already directly under the stands.

Finding some sort of link between hiring TD and leaving the MVC is very.......creative........and we're talking Jim Marrs- conspiracy-theory-creative....... B)

Not saying that it was connected to TD, just throwing it into consideration for most damaging "seemed reasonable at the time" idea in North Texas history.

The only thing SMU has going for it over NT is recent sucess. For all of the comparisons, SMU has going against it the moniker of being the only program to get old sparky. And it isn't like that happened a generation ago.

As for the stadium comparisons, there is none. I've been to ford several times. Even empty, Apogee blows Ford out of the water. It appears bigger, even when you are the only person in the stadium. It is more spread out, and just plain better. Apogee is easily expandable, Ford isn't. Apogee and NT will have more on campus parking for games, and more tailgating opportunities. Ever try to tailgate at Ford? Hell, you can't even park AT Ford.

Edit:Negatives for talking up NT and Apogee. I'm glad some on this board are able to fulfill the void in their lives by giving me negatives on every post.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Regarding UTSA -

As much as they have done nothing to earn any consideration, the appeal of the San Antonio market might be too tempting for some not to consider

While yes, San Antonio is an attractive market, how can anyone be considered for an AQ conference BEFORE they have played a year of football?

While yes, San Antonio is an attractive market, how can anyone be considered for an AQ conference BEFORE they have played a year of football?

That's a valid point, but I think many conferences will be in desperation mode when/if the big bang happens. San Antonio market will be hard to ignore.

TV market.

People really need to understand that EVERY TV Market in Texas is already big 12 saturated. There is no big 12 team in Dallas, yet what do we see? UT. A&M. OU. The only thing it would do is help some poor non-autoqualifier school (be it UNT, UH, SMU, UTEP, whatever).

The logical choice for the big 12 is to take BYU and their nationwide Mormon following (albeit not as big as ND's Catholic following). Add BYU once A&M leaves and call it a day.

I can't believe i stooped to conference re-alignment talk... :(

So begins the end of college football as we know it. It's been heading that way for a while, but the snowball is head downhill. I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but as the dominoes start to fall, it doesn't seem to bode well for UNT. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not saying that it was connected to TD, just throwing it into consideration for most damaging "seemed reasonable at the time" idea in North Texas history.

Without question, IMO, the worst decision we ever made was allowing ourselves to drop down to i-aa. There is a very strong chance that we will never recover from that decision, even with the new found commitment to athletics and facilities. The lack of respect and the injection of even more apathy that this created still haunts us today. If these super conferences get created and it effectively locks us into a new 1-aa again, we are really going to hear it from the haters at UNT for spending so much on a new stadium, especially during these difficult economic times. If we get dropped down again and we are still in the SBC, it isnt hard to imagine 10 years from now having crowds that were very similar from our Fouts/SLC days. A game with Louisiana-Monroe in 2020 will look a lot like it did when they were Northeast Louisiana and they came to Fouts in 1990 if we are back at the equivalent of 1-aa.

Upgrading from Fouts saved our football program, but our prolonged lack of support for athletics may very well get us a place back at the kids table. If it happens, we really have no one to blame but ourselves. I just wouldn't want to be the guy who gets grilled by the "old nestor-types" about the costs of the new stadium if we do get dropped back.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Without question, IMO, the worst decision we ever made was allowing ourselves to drop down to i-aa. There is a very strong chance that we will never recover from that decision, even with the new found commitment to athletics and facilities. The lack of respect and the injection of even more apathy that this created still haunts us today. If these super conferences get created and it effectively locks us into a new 1-aa again, we are really going to hear it from the haters at UNT for spending so much on a new stadium, especially during these difficult economic times. If we get dropped down again and we are still in the SBC, it isnt hard to imagine 10 years from now having crowds that were very similar from our Fouts/SLC days. A game with Louisiana-Monroe in 2020 will look a lot like it did when they were Northeast Louisiana and they came to Fouts in 1990 if we are back at the equivalent of 1-aa.

Upgrading from Fouts saved our football program, but our prolonged lack of support for athletics may very well get us a place back at the kids table. If it happens, we really have no one to blame but ourselves. I just wouldn't want to be the guy who gets grilled by the "old nestor-types" about the costs of the new stadium if we do get dropped back.

My bad Jim. Meant to give a +. Completely agree with everything you said.

Edited by eppy4life
  • Upvote 1

So begins the end of college football as we know it. It's been heading that way for a while, but the snowball is head downhill. I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but as the dominoes start to fall, it doesn't seem to bode well for UNT. Hope I'm wrong.

Lawsuits are certain, and that may slow down the train wreck and let people think a little more sensibly.