Texas A&M Leaves Big 12

UNTflyer

Whoop! Interesting move for the Aggies...be careful what you ask for!

Potentially good move for the Mean Green. Implosion in other conferences is good for us moving up.

As mentioned in the article this will create "a mathematically clunky 13 teams for one year" in the SEC. I expect probably Florida State to be added plus maybe two others to make 16. I can hear OU and OSU speed-dialing now!

Then the ACC and Big12 will need replacements; the ACC likely from eastern CUSA. It may take a few steps but eventually the moves should open some doors for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"The Big 12 would need to find a team to replace the Aggies if they exit the conference and there has been a lot of speculation about possible schools. So far, the only school to publicly express interest in moving to the Big 12 is SMU. Athletic director Steve Orsini said he's had informal talks with Big 12 officials for some time to inform them of the school's improvements and growth."

Why do I have this image of Mardi Gras and some young ladies earning their beads.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

We need a bowl season THIS YEAR. Otherwise, we may be let without options.

Win.

Yep, need to do as well as possible this year. Having said that, I think UNT is positioned pretty well, and I don't think the Big 12 is going to implode this year.

Hate to see the Ags leave.

Also, why do people keep acting like a move to C-USA is a best-case for UNT? Without SMU and UH, what good is that conference to us? Suppose ECU and/or UCF also get picked off? Then it's no more stable and only slightly more competitive than the WAC.

I may be suffering from chicken little syndrome, this morning, but A&M's move at this time may end up hurting us a lot more than it helps.

• Upvote 5

Also, why do people keep acting like a move to C-USA is a best-case for UNT? Without SMU and UH, what good is that conference to us? Suppose ECU and/or UCF also get picked off? Then it's no more stable and only slightly more competitive than the WAC.

I may be suffering from chicken little syndrome, this morning, but A&M's move at this time may end up hurting us a lot more than it helps.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I just don't see the Big 12 inviting SMU or UH if the Ags leave. I think they will invite BYU (and maybe Pitt) and stay at 10 or 11 (probably 10) until 2015, when the TV contracts are up.

• Upvote 2

This is pure speculation on my part, but I just don't see the Big 12 inviting SMU or UH if the Ags leave. I think they will invite BYU (and maybe Pitt) and stay at 10 or 11 (probably 10) until 2015, when the TV contracts are up.

All of this is pure speculation on everyone's part laugh.gif but I agree- I just don't see what value SMU brings to the Big 12. Just because SMU has been vocal about wanting to join doesn't mean they have any greater shot at doing so. Just for the record, I want a new Ferrari 458 Italia. I just announced it on the internet. But I doubt it gives me much leg up on a guy that is quietly saving for one.

If SMU and UH were to end up in other BCS conferences (stretch as it may be), C-USA is far less appealing to UNT.

That being said, I don't think SMU brings anything to the Big 12 table and this is little more than wishful posturing by their people.

• Upvote 2

--It won't happen... but the best move for the Big-XII is picking up North Texas.... Granted we are not competing at their level NOW but we are a huge school and would be only second to UT in size (after A&M leaves) and are in one of the largest markets in America... Given a little time, 4 years maybe, we would be competitive.. Recruiting, crowd and interest would skyrocket in Metroplex with us in their conference. SMU gets very little love in Dallas area and even when they were in the SWC their community support wasn't that great (better when they were cheating and doing extremely well). TCU is doing fine now but is very small compared to us and interest will drop if they stop achieving well. A lot of people just don't identify well with private schools especially as expensive and different that they are from most common people.

--I agree, if both SMU and Houston leave CUSA, it is not a much better option that where we are. Being in the same conference as Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, and UTEP is not that much of an attraction. Some the names mentioned here are not that smart to add... too far away and a big liability for all of the non-football sports financially. Considering that athletes are also students (few make a long career of sports) a far flung conference is not good for non-football athletes. I predict that TCU will regret their decision eventually to be a Big East team... just wait until they have have a bad season or two... and the crowd and public support drops quite a bit.....

--Oddly if Miami is punished severely, that could help the Belt... Two of our own are in Florida and might get a little more attention there and some better recruits as well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

SMU to the Big 12 would be the worst-case scenario for UNT. That puts two BCS schools in the Metroplex when we're already surrounded by several others just a few hours away. That would seemingly forever-relegate UNT to second-tier status, athletically.

Bingo

The name recognition of the members is a plus. Tulsa, Rice, Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane, UTEP...

sounds like a hell of a lot better conference schedule than Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Florida International, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The name recognition of the members is a plus. Tulsa, Rice, Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane, UTEP...

sounds like a hell of a lot better conference schedule than Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Florida International, etc.

Not if those are the only members left in said conference. If the run on schools begins, UCF and ECU will most definitely be considered to fill spaces in the ACC, Big East. Then again, if that happened, you can bet the Sun Belt is going to get raided as well to even out C-USA. ha.

However, I DO agree, if it is just one of those schools (UCF, Houston, SMU, or ECU) that goes, C-USA is clearly a better option than the Belt. That being said, C-USA isn't our BEST-case scenario. A BCS conference is our best-case. And I think RV agrees.

Anyways, all of this is just a bunch of "what if" scenarios in effort to avoid doing any work today!

As for the Big 12 grabbing ND and Pitt, that seems to be a long shot at best, according to this article by Chip Brown.

Edited by Eagle1855

Not if those are the only members left in said conference. If the run on schools begins, UCF and ECU will most definitely be considered to fill spaces in the ACC, Big East. Then again, if that happened, you can bet the Sun Belt is going to get raided as well to even out C-USA. ha.

However, I DO agree, if it is just one of those schools (UCF, Houston, SMU, or ECU) that goes, C-USA is clearly a better option than the Belt. That being said, C-USA isn't our BEST-case scenario. A BCS conference is our best-case. And I think RV agrees.

Anyways, all of this is just a bunch of "what if" scenarios in effort to avoid doing any work today!

As for the Big 12 grabbing ND and Pitt, that seems to be a long shot at best, according to this article by Chip Brown.

Even if those 4 schools leave, the remaining members of C-USA are far better than the current members of the Sun Belt. They are universities that people know. I just had a conversation with a co-worker who has never heard of any of our conference opponents except for Troy (which makes me question his knowledge of the sport).

I agree that C-USA is not our best option, but it is the best of the realistic scenarios. We really have no reason to have anybody look this way. New stadium and other facilities? Nice, but we need to bring more to the table. That's not to say we throw up our hands and surrender ourselves to fate... I would hope that our athletics department is working the phones and making it known that we are willing to move to the big 12. But let's be realistic, it is not going to happen.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 3

This whole situation scares the absolute crap out of me....but, man I'm glad we've got leadership (at the highest levels: Pres. Rawlins specifically) in place that has serious skins on the wall when it comes to conference realignment. Over the last few years, we've made some pretty good connections (Chuck Neinas & Bill Lively to name just 2). We are counting on them now, and that definitely gives me confidence that we'll land in a good spot.

• Upvote 3

Even if those 4 schools leave, the remaining members of C-USA are far better than the current members of the Sun Belt. They are universities that people know. I just had a conversation with a co-worker who has never heard of any of our conference opponents except for Troy (which makes me question his knowledge of the sport).

I agree that C-USA is not our best option, but it is the best of the realistic scenarios. We really have no reason to have anybody look this way. New stadium and other facilities? Nice, but we need to bring more to the table. That's not to say we throw up our hands and surrender ourselves to fate... I would hope that our athletics department is working the phones and making it known that we are willing to move to the big 12. But let's be realistic, it is not going to happen.

Agreed all around. Someone's going to have to take a gamble on our potential, not our track record. And the selling of our potential will have to be done by those that run our university. Like TIgreen01 said, I feel reasonably confident in those people... just feel like it would be so much easier if the product were a tad more polished.

Time will tell. Until then, I hope we kick UH's face in. That's a good start.