What Do You Think About Closed Practices?

I enjoy watching practices and visiting with other fans, especially the parents. But if the coaching staff thinks that this is too much of a secrets/security risk, or too much of a distraction to the players, then fine. But I don't recall reading anything from the fans that attended past Dodge practices that might have given our opponents any sort of insights and/or advantages.

I'm wondering many other programs close all their practices to alumni/fans?

Drawing parallels between McCarney and Dodge, even in jest, is insulting. Can you honestly say the last four years wasn't the most embarrassing you've ever witnessed?

The last 4 years were the most uncompetitive in the history of the school,

The point was that Vito isn't getting his way. The praise of Dickey and the continued 7th grade shots at both Todge and Rodge have much more to do with personal issues than football. That was the point of the post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The point was that Vito isn't getting his way. The praise of Dickey and the continued 7th grade shots at both Todge and Rodge have much more to do with personal issues than football. That was the point of the post.

Has Vito lost his objectivity in reporting Mean Green football because of past personal issues ?

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last time I was in Stillwater for a summer visit, the team's practices were open to fans for the first hour where the team did stretching and warm up exercises, some punt return work and a set drills in groupings of O-line, D-Line, D-backs, Running backs, etc., etc. After about an hour all spectators were asked to leave and the practice was closed. Not a bad "compromise", but for the most part and especially during fall practice, the practices were closed to fans, etc. at Oklahoma.

BTW...speaking of OSU...Head Coach Gundy will completely miss OSU's fan day, media day and practice today as he will be out of town and out of state to watch his young son play in a championship baseball game. I just wonder what some of the GMG.com posters would say if Coach Mac had missed the Kickoff-Cookout last saturday?

This closing of practice IS NOT uncommon and is not anything at all unique to UNT. This is Coach Mac's show...let him run it as he sees fit. Fans and alums need to do their part in support of Coach mac's efforts to improve this program. Brett Vito has been given good access to Coach mac and the team. I am sure Coach Mac will handle the media accordingly.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Your whining makes you sound a lot like a woman.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

In the era of cell phone camera/video, it's probably necessary. Experienced coaches know what they are seeing on the field as the game is being played. That's where the best earn their money - they get their players to adapt...or force the opponent to adapt.

That's where Dodge killed his chances. He hired no one who knew how to quickly read what an opponent was doing and adjust. It shouldn't be a problem for this crew.

You can argue that since everyone has game film of everyone else, practices should be open. However, coaching staffs, I think need the privacy to throw in tweaks and trick plays from week to week.

What may work against FIU may not work against Houston, Alabama, etc. Each week/school will have it's own weaknesses to be exploited. The coaches need to be able to develop to tweaks in practice without people filming on their cell phones and posting it all over the place.

Yes, they could send it directly to the opposing coach. But, these days when everyone with a cell phone and internet access is trying to be a sports journalist, sometimes a coaches worst enemy may be his school's own overzealous fans.

Gotta lock it down these days. And, this new stadium is perfect for practicing so that its hard to see the field through the gates. It'd be hard to spy on this team in this stadium.

• Upvote 3

People complained "NT isn't Big Time."

They have hired a proven FBS head coach. They have built a 78 million dollar stadium. They are having closed practices.

Welcome to the BIG TIME!!

You have nothing to complain about now, what are you going to do????

Just sit back and enjoy the show that Mac and the Mean Green are going to put on for you. I promise you'll be impressed!

• Upvote 4

I agree with what GreenBat is saying, except the "just sit back" part. Don't just sit back. It's time to be "big time" fans as well. Join the Mean Green Club. Buy season tickets. Put Mean Green flair on your car (number of pieces is up to you). Post the schedule in your office. Wear green on Fridays. Talk up the Mean Green around the water cooler.

And when Saturdays come around, bring people with you, pack the stands, get up, and make some noise! I can't wait to maximize the acoustics in our new home.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

I enjoy watching practices and visiting with other fans, especially the parents. But if the coaching staff thinks that this is too much of a secrets/security risk, or too much of a distraction to the players, then fine. But I don't recall reading anything from the fans that attended past Dodge practices that might have given our opponents any sort of insights and/or advantages.

I'm wondering many other programs close all their practices to alumni/fans?

When Mac started at ISU he held open practices. That policy changed when "injury reports" started showing up on Cyclone message boards.

Comments like "so and so was taking snaps with the first team while so and so wore a boot on the sidelines" started popping up on the internet. The policy isn't so much about giving away schemes or plays but giving away injury information.

I think it's a good policy...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

BTW...speaking of OSU...Head Coach Gundy will completely miss OSU's fan day, media day and practice today as he will be out of town and out of state to watch his young son play in a championship baseball game. I just wonder what some of the GMG.com posters would say if Coach Mac had missed the Kickoff-Cookout last saturday?

Tell you what--let Coach Mac have success here like Gundy has had at OSU and it won't ever be an issue. I promise.