First Coaches Poll Out

CMJ

Lord, look at all the throw-ins after 15...Notre Dame, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Penn State.

Personally, I think Mack Brown is on his last legs at Texas. It's sinful the number of seasons they haven't been able to get a ground game going; freaking amazing considering all the O-line talent they sign. They called in a minor leaguer to replace Will Muschamp at defensive coordinator as well.

I also think Notre Dame's coach is overblown. And, although he's a hell of a nice guy, I think Georgia fans gather to pitchforks and torches on Richt if they have another 6-8 win season.

To me, the only one of that group who could really turn things around is Muschamp at Florida. I look for them to hit double digit wins again under him. The rest of that group I can see in the 6-8 win range only.

The Big 12-2=10 will be a joke this year. I seriously think OU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and possibly K-State and Mizzou could finish above the Longhorns again this season. You just wonder how long the Orangeblood money will sit back and rest on that 2005 national title memory.

I also think this is the final season for the Big 12-2=10 because A&M appears to be growing a pair of testicles. They and OU are the key to holding it together. Texas can claim supremacy all it wants. But, at the end of the day, if it went independent and the SEC, Pac-10, and Big Ten became 14-16 school conferences...that would leave only two or three OOC games for its members.

And, those schools sure as hell wouldn't want to be putting money in Texas' (or BYU's or Notre Dame's) pockets just for a game. Hell, Notre Dame was down to having to pick up a game against Tulsa last year...and Tulsa beat them! Texas' Orangeblood money needs to seriously look at that, because that is them if they take their act independent.

Home games will be at a premium once the 14-16 team conferences arrive. Especially for the "traditional" powers. Anyone who thinks OU, A&M, Michigan, USC, etc. will take less than 6 homes games just for the sake of a rivalry game doesn't understand that we're in a new "money-first" era in college football. If OU-Nebraska can be junked, any of them can be junked.

Without OU and A&M, Texas really has nothing of interest to offer national viewers. They'll be down to scheduling service academies and regional mid-majors. It just won't sell. They've badly overplayed their hand. My guess is, they'll talk independent, but open back channel talks to the SEC and Big Ten. The Pac-12 will be their parachute...but, having already toyed with them once, I think their leverage is gone.

The Pac-12 and Big East are still flirting with various Big 12-2=10 schools. Every school in the former Big 12 North knows the those in the former Big 12 South were ready to throw them overboard in June 2010, so they are no doubt listening to any and all comers. The conference is a limping animal with buzzards circling. And, sadly, most of the damage has been self-inflicted.

When the Big 12-2=10 disappears, I think you'll see the Mountain West get an invite into the BCS AQ circle. Either that or they will finally have a "backroom deal" playoff system, which will weighed again in favor of current BCS AQ schools.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

A 5-7 Texas team is the 24th best team in the nation.

In fairness to the poll, that was last year's record and doesn't necessarily indicate their performance this year.

In fairness to your comment, they don't seem to have figured out the QB situation, there is no reason to believe that they have grown a ground game, and they have an almost totally new coaching staff with a 5-7 team from last year.

That said, what the flying F is UT doing in the top 25?

Edited by forevereagle

In fairness to the poll, that was last year's record and doesn't necessarily indicate their performance this year.

In fairness to your comment, they don't seem to have figured out the QB situation, there is no reason to believe that they have grown a ground game, and they have an almost totally new coaching staff with a 5-7 team from last year.

That said, what the flying F is UT doing in the top 25?

I think UT will be fine and will finish in the top 25. However, they may still finish third in conference behind OU and A&M.

• Downvote 1

Pretty crappy effort by the pollsters this year. In addition to what has already been pointed out, Stanford minus Harbaugh is not a top 10 or 20 program, Andrew Luck or not. Ohio St. without Tressel, Prior and the rest of the cheaters is going to stink, as well. Auburn at #19, while returning just 5 or 6 starters is another stretch.

I realize these coaches want to partially recognize the successes of last year, but come on.

Edited by TIgreen01

On Monday the Minus 2 conference commissioners met and hammered out a deal to allow Texas to show one conference game a year on their Longhorn network, but decided to disallow them to show the high school games until the NCAA got off their sorry you know what's and ruled on the legality of it. Then ESPN turned right around and decided to get around the Minus 2's decision on the high school games by announcing they would start up a ESPNHS channel to show high school games only. It's then speculated that when the Longhorn T Shirt faithful orders the Longhorn network channel that ESPN will simply include their ESPNHS channel as a package deal, giving Texas what they wanted afterall.

tU is a poison to college football. I hope they end up cutting their own throats when all is said and done.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Here's the other overplay with Minus 2 Conference (I like this...and the Big Ten is the Plus 2 Conference) and Texas, cable television is also dying.

Seven years ago, my wife and I chucked our land line and went cell phone only. Some scoffed at us. Now, land lines are going extinct except for business. Cable TV will be the same way.

So, the question will remain, how much more will people pony up for a dying mode of communication? With things like Hulu and whatnot, you're getting a more a la carte selection of viewing.

That will mean the days of cable companies force-feeding more channels and higher rates onto people will be long gone. Texas and BYU may be throwing a lot of money at something they won't be able to get anyone but their most hard-up followers to buy into.

And, if Texas at the same time wrecks all of its relationships along the way to independence, their fans can say hello to games against Tulsa, New Mexico, Navy, etc.

Hey, for years Blockbuster ignored technology before being eaten by it. U.S. automobile industry anyone? Sometime when you're "at the top" you tend to be defensive about/ignore coming trends until they bypass and destroy you. Myopia is a dangerous thing.

Here's the other overplay with Minus 2 Conference (I like this...and the Big Ten is the Plus 2 Conference) and Texas, cable television is also dying.

Seven years ago, my wife and I chucked our land line and went cell phone only. Some scoffed at us. Now, land lines are going extinct except for business. Cable TV will be the same way.

So, the question will remain, how much more will people pony up for a dying mode of communication? With things like Hulu and whatnot, you're getting a more a la carte selection of viewing.

That will mean the days of cable companies force-feeding more channels and higher rates onto people will be long gone. Texas and BYU may be throwing a lot of money at something they won't be able to get anyone but their most hard-up followers to buy into.

And, if Texas at the same time wrecks all of its relationships along the way to independence, their fans can say hello to games against Tulsa, New Mexico, Navy, etc.

Hey, for years Blockbuster ignored technology before being eaten by it. U.S. automobile industry anyone? Sometime when you're "at the top" you tend to be defensive about/ignore coming trends until they bypass and destroy you. Myopia is a dangerous thing.

The old Sears never worried about Walmart analogy...very true!

• Upvote 1

On Monday the Minus 2 conference commissioners met and hammered out a deal to allow Texas to show one conference game a year on their Longhorn network, but decided to disallow them to show the high school games until the NCAA got off their sorry you know what's and ruled on the legality of it. Then ESPN turned right around and decided to get around the Minus 2's decision on the high school games by announcing they would start up a ESPNHS channel to show high school games only. It's then speculated that when the Longhorn T Shirt faithful orders the Longhorn network channel that ESPN will simply include their ESPNHS channel as a package deal, giving Texas what they wanted afterall.

tU is a poison to college football. I hope they end up cutting their own throats when all is said and done.

Rick

Pretty narrow minded.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't understand the UT hate on here.

If UNT were in the same place with a new TV network, we'd all be pretty prideful as well.

Yes, they have a bunch of ignorant T-shirt fans... guess what, when UNT starts winning, we will too!

And no, with their new coordinators and no QB or RB worth a flip (better hope M. Brown is the real deal), they don't deserve to be in the top 25.

However, OU looks poised for a date with someone in the N.C. game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i've had the exact same thoughts... except i need to find a reliable way to get ESPN online that won't freeze up at times and that I can switch back and forth between with ease when CFB season rolls around

i've had the exact same thoughts... except i need to find a reliable way to get ESPN online that won't freeze up at times and that I can switch back and forth between with ease when CFB season rolls around

And, here's where schools and conferences should be calling hulus of the world and talking about creating sports packages.

Texas and BYU seems to building media empires for the 1990s. The trend is looking more and more "what I want, when I want" rather than "you buy this big package with a lot of stuff you don't want, just to get the stuff that you want."

Why was channelsurfing.net so popular? Because, people could bypass the crap ESPN and ABC wanted them to watch and get to their alma mater's games instead.

My guess is that the day will come when conferences and schools will wise up to the new revolution and make its sports programming available a la carte though Hulu, Blu ray, what have you.

Texas and BYU will then be stuck into cable and dish contracts.

One of the things that is separating the generations after baby boomers is that we don't follow in lockstep with whatever we're told is "the way to do things."

Hey, I don't want to pay for a bunch of sh*t I don't watch. Hello, Hulu. Yeah, but with this package, you have.... Yeah, well, screw your package. I don't watch MTV. I don't give a flying rip about the Big Ten or Texas or BYU. ESPN can go hang itself.

It seems to me that some entrepreneurial-type will someday create a college sports hulu thing. Our athletic department and our conference - all non-BCS AQ conferences - should be looking beyond getting a slice of the pie and get to baking a new pie. Quit letting ESPN, ABC, and the "traditional" power tell us what flavors we like and when we can eat it.

We choose our own flavors and we eat the pie we want! Bastards!

• Upvote 2

I agree with everything you've written on this thread.

I don't understand why there isn't more a la carte viewing selections. I'd pay a few bucks for some shows on HBO, but not 50 dollars a month for all the other crap they put on there.

That said, the numbers show the another story entirely... Cable television is putting local broadcast television out of business.

Edited by MeanMag