New QB Available Darian "Stump" Godfrey from New Mexico

My link

Stump Godfrey. Saw him play in high school. Lead Gilmer to a state championship. Very gifted athlete. Was named "Mr. Texas Football" by Dave Campbell Magazine after the 09 season, along with other player of the year awards. Was recruited by some big time schools, but chose New Mexico because of the possibility of early playing time. Became the starter for NM as a true freshman.

Here are his senior highlights. Lots of videos on YouTube.

My link

Agreed with all about, we are set with our QB situation right now.

That would put too many cooks in the kitchen.

We need play makers at WR and more meat on our OL/DL

Uh, we are not even close to set at QB. We have an unproven redshirt Soph starting, who I think will do great, but we don't know that. We have a JC transfer as a backup and probably a true freshman as our #3 after Fall workouts (Cooper Jones), with a senior walk -on (Baine) who just got on scholarship this year and a true freshman (McNaulty) that will probably enventually be switched to defense. Not exactly set.

If this kid is looking to transfer and start right away, then he will be going the FCS rout, as nothing like that will be promised from a FBS school. If he is confident in his talent, then we are probably one of the best spots for him.

• Upvote 3

Uh, we are not even close to set at QB. We have an unproven redshirt Soph starting, who I think will do great, but we don't know that. We have a JC transfer as a backup and probably a true freshman as our #3 after Fall workouts (Cooper Jones), with a senior walk -on (Baine) who just got on scholarship this year and a true freshman (McNaulty) that will probably enventually be switched to defense. Not exactly set.

If this kid is looking to transfer and start right away, then he will be going the FCS rout, as nothing like that will be promised from a FBS school. If he is confident in his talent, then we are probably one of the best spots for him.

I agree with you on DT being great but, we would be looking at a 5 QB competition next fall potentially if that happened. Which no transfer would like those odds. (Thompson, Osborn, Jones, McNaulty)

Brent Osborn just had to battle DT realistically coming in which he just diddnt have enough time to learn the system. I see him though really battling it out for the starting job next season.

I like that Baine stepped up as a 5 string? and did what he did(I lost count last season) but I doubt he will be taking any more snaps under center.

Cooper Jones looks to replace DT as a SR after DT graduates, par any other 4/5* recruit McCarney reels in.

It would be nice but I just don't see it happening

Agreed with all about, we are set with our QB situation right now.

That would put too many cooks in the kitchen.

We need play makers at WR and more meat on our OL/DL

I agree with UNT90. There is no way we are "set" at quarterback. Godfrey started the final 4 games for NM last year and won one of them. I believe it was their only win of the year. That resume is already better than what anyone on our roster has.

Here is a good QB that doesn't care if he goes to a big time school. He may not be a good fit for us, but if our coaches didn't at least consider looking into him, I'm not sure I have much faith in their decisions.

Here is his high school bio from NM's website:

Speedy, dual threat quarterback who finished his career as one of the most prolific signal callers in Texas high school history...named the 2009 Mr. Texas Football by Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine as the QB of the All-Texas High School Team...class 3A Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press after leading Gilmer to a 15-0 record, capped by the 3A Division I title last fall...the Buckeyes were one of 50 teams across the country to be honored on the MaxPreps Tour of Champions, but first 3A squad ever recognized...also named MVP by Rivals.com (The Old Coach Team) and HuddleUpTexas.com...three-star recruit by ESPN.com (No. 45 ATH)...chose UNM over scholarship offers from Kansas State and Tulsa...3,581 yards passing with 42 touchdowns and just 6 interceptions as a senior...also had 848 yards and 22 TDs on the ground...posted a 41-3 record as a three-year starter, piling up 11,694 yards of total offense (9,344 passing, 2,350 rushing) and was responsible for 165 TDs (116 passing, 49 rushing)...finished his career tied with Colt McCoy for 4th on the Texas all-time TD pass list and 10th in career passing yardage...2,883 yards passing with 34 TDs and 9 INTs, along with 885 and 19 TDs on the ground as a junior (12-2 record)...led Gilmer to a 14-1 record and state runner-up finish as a sophomore when he passed for 2,727 yards and 38 TDs (4 INTs), and had 617 yards and 8 TDs rushing...plays basketball as well.

This guy was a special player and I don't see how you can pass up giving him a shot. His 3 years at Gilmer were unbelievable.

His record at Gilmer was fantastic no doubt...but the decision to investigate on this scenario is on our coaching staff. I'm sure they are aware of the situation and if not...will be shortly

• 4 weeks later...