Darius Carey Dismissed

...I noticed at least one glaring absence. In the Texas Football coverage, Michael Outlaw is listed as one of the starters. He doesn't appear on the official roster. Also, according to the roster in TX Football, the next player behind Carey is Breece Johnson. I thought Johnson had graduated.

Don't know what happened to Outlaw, but I'm pretty sure Breece got a medical redshirt.

Honestly, does it really matter what he did?

It truly doesn't to me.

Bottomline: McCarney set standards and expectations. Carey violated those expectations and standards. Mac had no choice but to follow thru with consequences laid out.

Again, it's worrisome on so many levels, for the student-athlete and our offensive production, but I have no worries that Coach made the right decision and ultimately did what's best for the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't know what happened to Outlaw, but I'm pretty sure Breece got a medical redshirt.

I remember reading somewhere that Outlaw sat out last season, but would be back this year. He did play in the Spring Game, and Dave Campbell has him as a starter this season, although they listed him as a sophomore, and I'm almost certain that is incorrect.

I remember reading somewhere that Outlaw sat out last season, but would be back this year. He did play in the Spring Game, and Dave Campbell has him as a starter this season, although they listed him as a sophomore, and I'm almost certain that is incorrect.

Well that would be great news but he is not currently listed on the roster.

I guess we are a running team then? :rolleyes:

Hey...we do have that former 3-star tight end now, Andrew Powers. Looks like it'll be go time for him from Game 1!

Tight ends...in courting, marriage, and football, they're important.

Another note: Doesn't it seem crazy that with all the hoopla surround Todd Dodge after his hire that the positions we're now thin at are QB and WR? Crazy, man.

Well, all kidding aside, it's good to see legitimate tight ends on the roster. The kid from Mansfield who switched his commitment from Tulsa to us just a few days before signing day, Chaz Sampson, will have a chance to show his stuff early

According to online roster, our other choices of receiver in 2011:

84 Brown, Greg WR 6-1 232 Sr. Grand Prairie, TX (Grand Prairie HS)

81 Bynes, Christopher WR 6-1 220 RJr. Lauderdale Lakes, FL (Coffeyville CC)

4 Carey, Darius WR 5-10 188 Jr. New Orleans, La (Helen Cox HS)

80 Chancellor, Brelan WR 5-9 168 So. Copperas Cove, TX (Copperas Cove HS)

17 Johnson, Breece WR 6-1 187 Sr. Colleyville, TX (Heritage HS)

23 Marshall, Mike WR 6-0 195 Fr. Grand Prairie, TX (South Grand Prairie HS)

27 Schutza, Casey WR 5-10 170 Jr. Euless, TX (Trinity HS)

14 Stradford, Tyler WR 6-2 185 Sr. New Orleans, LA (Oklahoma)

3 Taylor, Willie WR 5-10 181 Jr.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I understood that Outlaw was also able to get a medical redshirt and was certainly a favorite to start. But I have no idea why he no longer shows on the roster.

I guess we are a running team then? :rolleyes:

Hey...we do have that former 3-star tight end now, Andrew Powers. Looks like it'll be go time for him from Game 1!

Tight ends...in courting, marriage, and football, they're important.

Another note: Doesn't it seem crazy that with all the hoopla surround Todd Dodge after his hire that the positions we're now thin at are QB and WR? Crazy, man.

Well, all kidding aside, it's good to see legitimate tight ends on the roster. The kid from Mansfield who switched his commitment from Tulsa to us just a few days before signing day, Chaz Sampson, will have a chance to show his stuff early. He was listed at 6-5 on recruiting site, so he's probably 6-3. Good size. Let's hope he can really catch.

According to online roster, our other choices of receiver in 2011:

84 Brown, Greg 6-1 232 Sr. Grand Prairie, TX (Grand Prairie HS)

81 Bynes, Christopher 6-1 220 RJr. Lauderdale Lakes, FL (Coffeyville CC)

80 Chancellor, Brelan 5-9 168 So. Copperas Cove, TX (Copperas Cove HS)

17 Johnson, Breece 6-1 187 Sr. Colleyville, TX (Heritage HS)

23 Marshall, Mike 6-0 195 Fr. Grand Prairie, TX (South Grand Prairie HS)

27 Schutza, Casey 5-10 170 Jr. Euless, TX (Trinity HS)

14 Stradford, Tyler 6-2 185 Sr. New Orleans, LA (Oklahoma)

3 Taylor, Willie 5-10 181 Jr. Dallas, TX (Hillcrest)

• Upvote 2

Very bad news.

Does anyone know when the 1st summer semester ended?

DC dismissal was due to poor personal choices after multiple chances, not grades.

First Summer semester ends next week.

Incoming Freshman will ALL, to my knowledge, be attending the next summer session. I believe this will allow them to start working out as part of the summer program and get almost a month of conditioning under their belt before two-a-days start.

Edited by UNTnewbie
  • Upvote 4

DC dismissal was due poor personal choices after multiple chances, not grades.

First Summer semester ends next week.

Incoming Freshman will ALL, to my knowledge, be attending the next summer session. I believe this will allow them to start working out as part of the summer program and get almost a month of conditioning under their belt before two-a-days start.

That puts our freshman way ahead of the game. 4 weeks is enough to get 18 yr olds in great shape, especially with the type of workouts Coach W's got them going thru, they're no walks in the park. We need all of our freshmen to be comfortable on campus, in shape and ready to learn come two-a-days. No time for half-stepping, some of these guys will step in on Sept 1st.

Do you just not like Brett Osborn?

Or, did you just forget we brought him in? He's challenging for the starting job, and if he's not the starter will certainly be the backup.

No, I didn't forget that we brought him in. Lets just say that I wasn't all that impressed. But keep in mind that I look at players, especially QB's, a bit differently than other people. To me size and strong arms and speed are fine (Osborn has a very strong arm and throws a very tight spiral and he has serviceable speed), but I've always paid more attention to their "intangibles". To me, how they run things, and how much they seem "in charge", and how much they don't panic under pressure, are more important.

So, for me, it's mostly watching body language.

For instance. My top "body language" QB's in North Texas history.

Jordan Case (78-79 season). He had a great arm, he was a shifty runner, but (IMHO) he was one of the most fearless and unflappable QB's in NT history. There could be large bodies flying all around him during a pass play and he would be totally oblivious of it except to (without looking around) just move a little here or there to get out of the way, all the time being totally focused on getting the pass off. During the 78 Texas game the pass protection finally collapsed around him and just as he was about to be buried by the Texas defense, the ball came shooting out (I couldn't see Case) and a completion was made to Charles Murray. THAT is concentration and confidence in what you are doing.

Scott Hall, See above, only Scott was a little faster and his arm was a little stronger, but his passes weren't quite as precise. And he would take off a little sooner under pressure. But then, Scott Hall didn't have Hayden Fry to coach him either.

(tie) Scott Davis, Mitch Maher. Both had great arms (Davis' was stronger) and both were supremely confident out on the field.

Joe Stevenson (1980)spent most of his career backing up Jordan Case, but when he stepped in for Case there was NO letdown in leadership....or talent for that matter. He had a great arm and he was a good runner. When he stepped out on the field.....he was in charge. I don't know what his career numbers were, but in about 14 starts he had five 200 yard passing games.

IMHO Joe Stevenson was the best QB of color at North Texas.

Greg Carter, small (5'9-5'10) good arm and good speed. Very confident leader.

So based on MY way of evaluating QB's our current group would go this way....

Thompson

Baine (only because he's a little more athletic and has much more game experience than Dodson)

Dodson

Osborn

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is great! Besides the extra conditioning they can get accustomed to campus and college classes - maybe be able to take a bit of a lighter load that first semester.