Darius Carey Dismissed

Wonder if he'll be catching passes next season from another previous UNT player who now plays at a FCS school in Louisiana? :unsure:

Hey neighbor,

That's a good question. I guess we'll see where Carey ends up. However the situation turns out for he, I hope he is able to finish his degree and live a good life.

Hey we are all in the dark on this and it's sad for all involved. I will say this, that kid played with a tremendous amount of heart, was very talented and will be missed. He had a great family that was at the games and posted on GMG. I thank them all for their contributions and wish them the best.

If it wasn't related to grades, I wonder if he has any chance of returning. I know what the article says, but things change and there is some time between now and when practice starts back up.

I had this same thought. He pays his dues, makes amends, suspended 1-2 games to start the year and makes his way back on...

Hopeful but doubtful I guess.

Any of you that think we will win 6 or more game this year, just because this is the Sun Belt, want to make a new prediction? This is a killer, especially when you are breaking in a new QB with a OLine that doesn't meet the head coach's own standards. I had us at 4-8 and I will make it 3-9 now. Carey was the one guy, besides Dunbar, that had game changing capability for the offense. This will hurt big time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any of you that think we will win 6 or more game this year, just because this is the Sun Belt, want to make a new prediction? This is a killer, especially when you are breaking in a new QB with a OLine that doesn't meet the head coach's own standards. I had us at 4-8 and I will make it 3-9 now. Carey was the one guy, besides Dunbar, that had game changing capability for the offense. This will hurt big time.

Remember when Dodge took over and Fitz was put in a role that blossomed? I think we'll see one or more of those with the switch to DMac now. Certainly hope so.

It might be an interesting research project for any stat-heads on the board. Look up coaching changes across FBS the last 2 - 5 years and look for breakout players in year 1.

Out of curiosity, did we have any surprises in DD year 1? I arrived in 1999.

• Upvote 1

Coach Canales's job just got a whole lot harder, that's for sure.

I'm just hoping that he finds the same magic that he found last year. The O-line doesn't concern me as much as having no known commodity at QB and very few at receiver. We may see 9 in the box next year.

Anything less than 5 wins should always be considered unacceptable. I will be estatic to make the bare minimum of 5, though.

I think it's as bad as you make it out only if we had lost Lance. Not saying this doesn't hurt, it absolutely does. Carey averaged 3 catches per game. That's not irreplaceable. If Stratford has one more catch per game, he equals that output last yr. And we still return 2 of our top 4 receivers from last yr, Stratford and Dunbar. Coupled with better depth at QB than we've had in a while, Osburn played last yr, along with a recruited TE, I don't think we'll be as woeful or inept as it's made out to be.

This year was going to go as Lance went and in my mind nothing changes much there. We still have one of the top backs in the nation which the K State defense couldn't stop with 9 in the box.

Carey was the one guy besides Lance last year that showed game changing ability. Someone else gets their shot to shine now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it's as bad as you make it out only if we had lost Lance. Not saying this doesn't hurt, it absolutely does. Carey averaged 3 catches per game. That's not irreplaceable. If Stratford has one more catch per game, he equals that output last yr. And we still return 2 of our top 4 receivers from last yr, Stratford and Dunbar. Coupled with better depth at QB than we've had in a while, Osburn played last yr, along with a recruited TE, I don't think we'll be as woeful or inept as it's made out to be.

This year was going to go as Lance went and in my mind nothing changes much there. We still have one of the top backs in the nation which the K State defense couldn't stop with 9 in the box.

Carey was the one guy besides Lance last year that showed game changing ability. Someone else gets their shot to shine now.

Chancellor was a game changer on special teams. We will need him to be a game changer at WR this season too.

• Upvote 3

Even if DC did something terrible (which I really hope he didn't) you gotta think Mac knows what he is doing when it comes to WR depth. I don't think he would cut a valuable player if he knew he couldn't fill the spot. I will stick with his judgment on this one, hopefully he proves me right.

I respectfully disagree. Coach Mac knew losing Darius would hurt big time. I am assuming he made a principled decision that he felt had to be made. If you are going to have rules and standards, it needs to be made clear that all players must abide by those rules and standards. Point made.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If it wasn't related to grades, I wonder if he has any chance of returning. I know what the article says, but things change and there is some time between now and when practice starts back up.

I was wondering the same thing. If it's not grades related, and he can solve his behavior and apologize to the team, could he be brought back?

Well that would be great news but he is not currently listed on the roster.

Good news. I just looked at the 2011-2012 North Texas roster, and it shows Outlaw on it. They list him as a senior. This makes me feel a little better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was wondering the same thing. If it's not grades related, and he can solve his behavior and apologize to the team, could he be brought back?

For the school to pull his scholorship I think it will take a lot more than an apology to the team. If he really wants to come back it will be a long hill to climb.