Egypt Government About To Fall?

• 2 weeks later...

Call me cynical, but I just don't trust an organization that believes that any religion has a political role in society. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the asshats that make up the Texas Legislature and the Texas State Board of Education.

You could always move back to Utah.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Military Coup. Not the best solution to the problem. Let's hope we didn't trade one dictator for another.

Not exactly...

The military is seemingly maintaining a neutral position, but also asking for people to return to normal life.

Though protesters are calling for Mubarak to resign from the presidency, there is no one opposition party poised to take over the reins of the country. And while several leaders -- including Nobel Laureate Muhammed ElBaradei and politician Ayman Nour -- have emerged in the spotlight, they don't have the kind of support base that is needed to take over the leadership. The fragmented Muslim Brotherhood also seems to be missing a viable leader that could win mass support.

The military isn't confronting protesters, but its statement today showed the country's most revered institution has put its support behind Mubarak.

The military is playing mediator...or at least trying. Mubarak's announcement yesterday of simply delegating power to his VP and his insistence upon remaining in Egypt as probably just made the situation worse. The fact that Muhammed ElBaradei is now predicting wide-spread violence is a bad sign.

I don't get Mubarak's hubris...I'd love to go into exile.

You could always move back to Utah.

You wish.

Trade Socially Conservative Evangelical Christian Crazies for Socially Conservative Mormon Crazies? Really, there's not much difference. Both insist on less government, unless it helps push the moral agenda of their particular invisible sky wizard. And, ya know, making sh*t up as they go when it comes to history and science...

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

You wish.

Trade Socially Conservative Evangelical Christian Crazies for Socially Conservative Mormon Crazies? Really, there's not much difference. Both insist on less government, unless it helps push the moral agenda of their particular invisible sky wizard. And, ya know, making sh*t up as they go when it comes to history and science...

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Care to give an example?

Or are you just making #@! up as you go?

Ahem...

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)

When you attempt to delete portions of history because they don't line up with your ideological agenda, that equates to "making it up as you go" in my opinion.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Ahem...

When you attempt to delete portions of history because they don't line up with your ideological agenda, that equates to "making it up as you go" in my opinion.

To be honest, I don't understand what this means: "cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century." Does this mean students will not be studying about Thomas Jefferson? Or not learning about the Declaration of Independence and its relation to the American Revolution? I highly doubt either of these is the case.

Anyway, from the rest of the article . . . I don't see any of this as related to the facts of history, but to the viewpoint with which it is approached. Obviously, if it is presented from a conservative viewpoint, liberals will disagree with it. When it's presented from a liberal viewpoint, conservatives disagree with it. Again, I'm not sure what was meant by the Jefferson thing, but I see new facts being brought up that were not apparently being addressed in history classes ("portions of history" that had previously been "deleted"?).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Not exactly...

Exactly

Let's hope the military's talk of holding democratic elections is more than just talk. Next several weeks will be key.

I wonder how nervous the governments in Damascus, Riyadh, Tripoli, Amman, and Tehran are feeling right now.

F'n Facebook.

• Upvote 2

. . . I don't see any of this as related to the facts of history, but to the viewpoint with which it is approached. Obviously, if it is presented from a conservative viewpoint, liberals will disagree with it. When it's presented from a liberal viewpoint, conservatives disagree with it.

How about the "as historically accurate as possible" viewpoint, instead of having to put an ideological spin on EVERYTHING? Is that so damned hard?

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

These are heady days for the Egyptian people for sure, but there is much danger lurking. The proof in this will be what comes out of this very peaceful "revolution" that has taken place in Egypt. It is very exciting and has the makings of a great time for Egypt in really installing a democratic government and improving the lives of so many of its citizens. But, do not think for one minute that those in power in all the agencies and branches of government and who control business and commerce will go away willingly and quietly. There will be no increasing of wages and replacing of management overnight. There are many rough days ahead and after all the cheering and congratulations some leaders must emerge and emerge quickly to head off radical factions who would love to take control of this seemingly moderate Middle east nation. The Muslim Brotherhood (among others) must be giddy over the prospects in front of them in Egypt at the moment. I am extremely happy to see how the military handled this whole event and you have to give Mubarak some credit for not turning it into the bloody mess that he probably could have early on...as the same or more credit goes to all the massed protesters. This could have been a blood bath, could still turn that way. I also need to say that I think the Obama Administration handled this situation pretty well...from all accounts I can find. I know it's strange for me to praise anything this administration does, but i think credit is deserved in this case. It is one of the first foreign policy type events I think the Obama Administration has handled pretty darn well. Credit where credit is due.

Anyway, we all recall when the Iraqi citizens were dancing in the streets and pulling down all the Hussein pictures, etc. That lasted a short while and then tuned into chaos. We saw the Green revolution sputter out in Iran, etc. Yes, good things can and may well develop, but one must be careful not to count ones chickens before they hatch with this revolution. There has been no real leadership emerge from the reveloutuion...if a leadership vacuum develops, watch out the the radical side to seize the day. remember, this is the one major Arab nation that signed a peace treaty with Israel and has recognized Israel's existence. There has been peace on the Egyptian-Israeli borders ever since. Much can be gained in Egypt from this, but much is to be lost as well. The joy must quickly be replaced with responsible and democratic leadership if Egypt is to truly WIN from this revolution.

The world will be watching as will the people of many other nation's whose leaders rule through oppression. Let's hope what we all see is the birth of a great and free democratic Egypt.

• Upvote 2

I've never forgiven Egypt for the way they treated Moses. I wish nothing but utter failure upon that nation.

Don't believe the hype, man. 2 sides to every story.

That hurtful "Jews control the media" stuff all started with the Old Testament. Talk about your media bias...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Not cool at all - lets you know the mixed bag that is currently Egypt's situation. Thankfully, she was aided by the military and sent on her way safely. I'm hoping that the new government that steps into place is an actual democratic one, and if not, at least stable and well liked by its own people and the global community.

• Upvote 2