Please Mr. Peanut Not Again !

MeanGreen61

Multiple sources have told me the pool of potential candidates includes Louisiana-Lafayette, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Portland State, UC-Davis and Cal Poly. Those sources also said that North Texas and Montana, both of which have already rebuffed the Western, could be approached again.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/01/wac-teleconference-slated-for-today/

It's time for Wright Waters to make all SBC members sign a pledge that they won't leave for the WAC...and that if they do, they'd have to pay a big penalty for leaving the league. Maybe that would put an end to this nonsense.

• Upvote 2

Benson:

"How'd you like to come home with me tonight? No? Well, can I at least buy you a drink?"

Thirty minutes later

"That was tasty wasn't it? Told you you'd like it...let me get you another."

Thirty minutes later

"You know what I love...shots!!!! Come on, one for me and one for you.

Twenty minutes later

"Man would you look at the time. You don't look like you should be driving...let me take you home. No? Well screw you then biatch!!"

• Upvote 2

Benson:

"How'd you like to come home with me tonight? No? Well, can I at least buy you a drink?"

Thirty minutes later

Thirty minutes later

Twenty minutes later

"Man would you look at the time. You don't look like you should be driving...let me take you home. No? Well screw you then biatch!!"

LOL!!!

Benson:

Thirty minutes later

Thirty minutes later

Twenty minutes later

20 minutes later...

"Hey, I'm sorry about what I said earlier... would you at least give me your number and I can call you later?"

Multiple sources have told me the pool of potential candidates includes Louisiana-Lafayette, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Portland State, UC-Davis and Cal Poly. Those sources also said that North Texas and Montana, both of which have already rebuffed the Western, could be approached again.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/01/wac-teleconference-slated-for-today/

montana did not rebuff the wac as much as they dismissed the idea of moving up as to expensive. ull, like la tech, wants to get away from ulm, but the wac is not the answer as they have no money. when the smoke clears, the wac will look like a combo of Southland conference and the Belt.

• Upvote 1

I really give props to Benson for his perseverance. That SOB just doesn't give up.

Mr. Benson is a longtime admirer of the "Green Eggs and Ham" school of sales...

If the answer is no, the question was not properly phrased...

What would irk Louisiana Tech the most ? Having Louisiana-Monroe join the WAC or feel the need to join the Sun Belt to get away from the Cajuns ?

I would trade ULM for La Tech ANY day of the week... If they want to do a straight up conference switch I am IN!

What would irk Louisiana Tech the most ? Having Louisiana-Monroe join the WAC or feel the need to join the Sun Belt to get away from the Cajuns ?

That one's easy. They dislike ULM far more than the Cajuns. If Benson invited the Warhawks, La Tech would be gone before he could hang up the phone and he knows it. But, it would be a way to get the 'dogs in the Sun Belt; maybe the only way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most times there are mostly positives to say about persistance but jeez louise, this is turning into plain o' stalking by Benson.

I think UNT would be better off in the WAC. With the addition of Lamar (who has been at the FBS level before), that'd finally put UNT in a FBS Conference that has strong Texas flavor. UNT, UTSA, Tx State, and Lamar, would form a solid foundation to a Eastern WAC division, along with Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State. IMO, those peer institutions are a cut above the alphabet soup group you're in now with ULL, ArkSt, ULM, etc.

The coaching hires at UTSA and Tx State should tell you about their commitment to do this thing right.

Personally, I think you gentlemen should take a step back and consider the potential. Texas kids don't want to go to ULM or ULL. The new alternative of having a FBS alma mater in San Antonio and San Marcos trumps that. There is legit water cooler debate that can grow out of a WAC with that flavor.

Louisiana Tech also provides a nearby opponent that is just a cut above your current neighbors.

The only question beyond Lamar is how the composition of the Western WAC will shape up. I'm liking the addition of basketball-only schools like Denver and Seattle. Benson is going after major markets and he's leaving some good slack for future positive growth of a sound league.

If I were you, I'd be keeping a close eye on these developments. The WAC as a brand trumps the Belt. Their future locales can only help your cause if you have your sights set on the MWC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think UNT would be better off in the WAC. With the addition of Lamar (who has been at the FBS level before), that'd finally put UNT in a FBS Conference that has strong Texas flavor. UNT, UTSA, Tx State, and Lamar, would form a solid foundation to a Eastern WAC division, along with Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State. IMO, those peer institutions are a cut above the alphabet soup group you're in now with ULL, ArkSt, ULM, etc.

The coaching hires at UTSA and Tx State should tell you about their commitment to do this thing right.

Personally, I think you gentlemen should take a step back and consider the potential. Texas kids don't want to go to ULM or ULL. The new alternative of having a FBS alma mater in San Antonio and San Marcos trumps that. There is legit water cooler debate that can grow out of a WAC with that flavor.

Louisiana Tech also provides a nearby opponent that is just a cut above your current neighbors.

The only question beyond Lamar is how the composition of the Western WAC will shape up. I'm liking the addition of basketball-only schools like Denver and Seattle. Benson is going after major markets and he's leaving some good slack for future positive growth of a sound league.

If I were you, I'd be keeping a close eye on these developments. The WAC as a brand trumps the Belt. Their future locales can only help your cause if you have your sights set on the MWC.

Yep, those basketball only schools in Denver and Seattle really make up for the few negatives that exist...Being in a conference with an FCS school, another that is yet to play their first down of football, and a third that just restarted their program would certainly add instant credibiity and prestige to North Texas... :huh: Not to mention the honor of being in a conference with the "Harvard of the South" Louisiana Tech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, those basketball only schools in Denver and Seattle really make up for the few negatives that exist...Being in a conference with an FCS school, another that is yet to play their first down of football, and a third that just restarted their program would certainly add instant credibiity and prestige to North Texas... :huh: Not to mention the honor of being in a conference with the "Harvard of the South" Louisiana Tech.

It all comes down to what you are looking for in a conference, I guess. The fact that UTSA and Lamar are just getting their programs going again doesn't concern me in light of the fact that a teams like USF and UCONN are practically babies and they're in a BCS conference.

The key is those teams are in Texas and play in a conference that has won in BCS bowls. I'd argue that they'll have recruiting advantages being in a more well-known conference with a bigger presence in Texas. Not to mention that there is a local Texas buzz right now about the programs Coker and Fran are building.

I just happen to see more potential in Texas State and UTSA than the Louisiana directionals et al. Structurally, the coaching hires and locations should enhance that divisions potential over UNT's status quo in the Belt.

Sure its a bigger perceived risk at this point. However, even the "Harvard of the South" Louisiana Tech offers some tradition (much more than their neighbors). Sonny Dykes is another name that is familiar within Texas football circles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Let TSU and UTSA build the WAC and if it is attractive down the line we may join. But we do not have to join for once and I would much rather be associated with name programs like the Ragin Cajuns, Troy, FAU and Middle Tennesse than Lamar Texas State and UTSA. No comparison right now. Name coaches mean nothing - they must win. We have a name coach who has done nothing yet. I will take North Texas continued individual growth, Belt brethren and push for the Big 12. If the WAC becomes as attractive as the MWC one day we will pursue it, but not now. The Roadrunners and Bobcats have more to gain from an affiliation with the Mean Green than we do with them at this time.

Take care of the Green. Take care of the White. We will be just fine thank you very much.

Win the Belt and lets go dancing again!

GMG

Let TSU and UTSA build the WAC and if it is attractive down the line we may join. But we do not have to join for once and I would much rather be associated with name programs like the Ragin Cajuns, Troy, FAU and Middle Tennesse than Lamar Texas State and UTSA. No comparison right now. Name coaches mean nothing - they must win. We have a name coach who has done nothing yet. I will take North Texas continued individual growth, Belt brethren and push for the Big 12. If the WAC becomes as attractive as the MWC one day we will pursue it, but not now. The Roadrunners and Bobcats have more to gain from an affiliation with the Mean Green than we do with them at this time.

Take care of the Green. Take care of the White. We will be just fine thank you very much.

Win the Belt and lets go dancing again!

GMG

If the Sun Belt Conference powers can find out which sportswriters have no problem putting MAC schools in annual Top 25 polls then invite them to SBC HQ's in New Orleans do a bit of wine & dine and then SBC powers making the mere "suggestion" to the MAC-oriented Top 25 scribes, "when we beat your MAC teams, give our team)(s) some Top 25 voting consideration."

I know (in the aforementioned paragraph) a bit of a pipe dream and most unrealistic scenario for such a meeting as that to ever materialize, but the SBC in my opinion has had equal or maybe even better teams than some of the MAC's Top 25 entries in the last decade. Troy was one of those teams who beat #19 Missouri to debut their new stadium albeit the Tigers went on to a rather rough season that year but were still #19 the night the Trojans slipped a green weinie on the Big 12 school.

The new whatever the WAC becomes would be another step backwards for what the Texas Higher Ed Coord. Board in Austin still says will be the 2'nd largest university in Texas and that being the University of North Texas. At some point, we need to align our athletic expectations with our expected position as the #2 largest university in the Lone Star State behind UT-Austin and the WAC to me would not fit the bill for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It all comes down to what you are looking for in a conference, I guess. The fact that UTSA and Lamar are just getting their programs going again doesn't concern me in light of the fact that a teams like USF and UCONN are practically babies and they're in a BCS conference.

Those are the exceptions, not the rules.

If the Sun Belt Conference powers can find out which sportswriters have no problem putting MAC schools in annual Top 25 polls then invite them to SBC HQ's in New Orleans do a bit of wine & dine and then SBC powers making the mere "suggestion" to the MAC-oriented Top 25 scribes, "when we beat your MAC teams, give our team)(s) some Top 25 voting consideration."

I know (in the aforementioned paragraph) a bit of a pipe dream and most unrealistic scenario for such a meeting as that to ever materialize, but the SBC in my opinion has had equal or maybe even better teams than some of the MAC's Top 25 entries in the last decade. Troy was one of those teams who beat #19 Missouri to debut their new stadium albeit the Tigers went on to a rather rough season that year but were still #19 the night the Trojans slipped a green weinie on the Big 12 school.

The new whatever the WAC becomes would be another step backwards for what the Texas Higher Ed Coord. Board in Austin still says will be the 2'nd largest university in Texas and that being the University of North Texas. At some point, we need to align our athletic expectations with our expected position as the #2 largest university in the Lone Star State behind UT-Austin and the WAC to me would not fit the bill for that.

I have seen you say this so many times but there is a huge difference in the records of the top MAC teams and top Sun Belt teams. There is a reason that MAC teams occasionally get ranked and the top Sun Belt teams do not. SBC teams usually do not fare as well OOC as the top MAC teams has. The Sun Belt champions were 8-5 and 7-6 this season. There is a good chance that no matter what conference you are in, you are not going to be ranked with those records. The MAC runner up was 11-3 and beat a Big Ten team (even if it was a crappy one in Minnesota). The MAC champion went 10-4 with a wins over Colorado State and MUTS. Oh and Troy wasn't in the SBC when they beat Missouri.

Sun Belt Champions

2009 Troy 9-4 (1 OOC win over UAB)

2008 Troy 8-5 (1 OOC win over Alcorn St.)

2007 Troy 8-4 (1 OOC win over OK state but cannot rank troy after they got crushed the previous two weeks by Florida and Arkansas)

FAU 8-5 (1 OOC win over Minnesota but cannot rank them after getting destroyed the previous week by OK State)

2006 Troy 8-5 (2 OOC wins over Alabama St. and Rice)

MUTS 7-6 (1 OOC win over Tennessee Tech)

2005 Ark St 6-6 (1 OOC win over Tennessee Martin)

ULL 6-5 (1 OOC win over Northwestern St.)

ULM 5-6 (0 OOC wins)

2004 UNT 7-5 (0 OOC wins)

2003 UNT 9-4 (2 OOC wins Troy and Baylor) BEST Team in history of Sun Belt

2002 UNT 8-5 (2 OOC wins Nichols St and Cincinnati)

2001 UNT 5-6 (0 OOC wins)

MAC Champions

2009 CMU 12-2 ( 3 OOC wins Alcorn St., Michigan St and Troy St.)

2008 Buffalo 8-6 ( 2 OOC wins Army and UTEP)

2007 CMU 8-6 (1 OOC win Army)

2006 CMU 10-4 (2 OOC wins MUTS and Temple)

2005 Akron 7-6 (1 OOC win MUTS)

2004 Toledo 9-4 (1 OOC win Temple)

2003 Miami (OH) 13-1 (4 OOC wins Northwestern, Colorado State, Cincinnati, and Louisville)

2002 Marshall 11-2 (3 OOC wins Appalachian State, Louisville, and Troy St)

2001 Toledo 10-2 (4 OOC wins Minnesota, Temple, Cinncinnati, and Navy)

The MAC have just fared much better OOC then the SBC over the years. Their best teams have put up double digit wins most years while the SBC best teams have never done this. To get ranked as a non-AQ you have to dominate your conference and win OOC games. The MAC's best teams have been much better at this than SBC teams. The SBC really needs one team to run away with the league and beat 3 OOC opponents to get ranked and this has yet to happen. This should be UNT. The SBC is however at somewhat at a disadvantage because they are stuck playing the SEC every year OOC while the MAC plays the Big Ten OOC for the most part.

This is not some great Midwest sportswriter conspiracy, The SBC just needs to take care of business

Edited by playoffpush
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Karl?