Dumbing Down Your Fight Song

SilverEagle

Whilst watching the Rose parade I noticed that the Wisconsin Band was playing what sounded like an "abbreviated" version of their very famous fight song "On Wisconsin". While it was impressive to see the band go into "overdrive" (up tempo, high stepping) when they started playing their fight song, it was somewhat dismaying to hear the "abbreviated" version.

As I pointed out last year about the Ohio State Band, the Wisconsin band had it moments when it looked a lot like the North Texas Band of my youth....led by Maurice McAdow. But sadly, like the post-McAdow North Texas Band, they played a dumbed-down version of their fight song.

Also, like the Ohio State Band, I liked the Wisconsin unis....but not as much as the Ohio State unis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I am a bit confused about the "dumbing down" of our fight song. I have seen several references to it in various threads but I'm not sure how exactly it has been "dumbed down". Someone please enlighten me. :unsure:

I've never heard the McAdow arrangement of our fight song, so I can't either disagree or agree that the Winslow arrangement (which is what is currently played) is "dumbed down". Was the McAdow band ever recorded? I would love to hear it.

The only comment I can make about the current arrangement is that by playing it two times through, it's too long to play after a touchdown - and none of the band directors (Winslow, Fisher, Williams) have come up with an acceptable solution. They've tried playing a fanfare after the touchdown and waiting until after the extra point to play the fight song - but what if the kick is missed? Do you still play it? They've tried playing it one time through, and waiting until after the extra point to play it the second time - once again, what if the kick is missed - or, what if there's a timeout or a delay due to a penalty? The silence after the U-N-T Eagles chant can be pretty awkward.

• Upvote 1

I've never heard the McAdow arrangement of our fight song, so I can't either disagree or agree that the Winslow arrangement (which is what is currently played) is "dumbed down". Was the McAdow band ever recorded? I would love to hear it.

The only comment I can make about the current arrangement is that by playing it two times through, it's too long to play after a touchdown - and none of the band directors (Winslow, Fisher, Williams) have come up with an acceptable solution. They've tried playing a fanfare after the touchdown and waiting until after the extra point to play the fight song - but what if the kick is missed? Do you still play it? They've tried playing it one time through, and waiting until after the extra point to play it the second time - once again, what if the kick is missed - or, what if there's a timeout or a delay due to a penalty? The silence after the U-N-T Eagles chant can be pretty awkward.

I also feel that playing the fight song and quieting it down while the kicker goes for the extra point is weird. For people like me who are rhythmical challenged, it is very hard to follow along with the rest of the crowd during the kick, and many stop the cheer if we miss the kick. I'd be much happier if we would fire Boomer directly after the touchdown, and then wait to play the fight song after the extra point attempt. Then the band can play the song one good time with the crowd able to sing along. Thoughts?

The "McAdow version" is just the fight song played as it was originally written.....every note. And yes, I have a recording (supplied by Letsgiveacheer)of this version. Along with the fanfare that the North Texas Band always played at the beginning of all of their half time shows. Something else that Winslow tossed aside.

Edited by SilverEagle

For the benefit of all, I'll explain this in non-musical terms. As Silver said, the fight song was played as originally written until 1975. At that time, Bob Winslow took over as director of bands and wanted to make his mark on the program, given that Maurice McAdow had been director of bands for such a long period. Besides ditching the long standing band traditions, he also "updated" the fight song.

The original "Fight, North Texas" contained not only the melody that we are all familiar with, but rich counter-melodies and harmonies, in other words, the bass instruments were playing one thing, the tenor instruments (trombones, baritones, etc) another, the alto instruments (saxes, horns, etc) still another and the melody was played by instruments such as the trumpets and clarinets. The result was a very exciting and complex fight song that reflected the great music program at North Texas.

The "new" fight song eliminated those counter-melodies and harmonies. Now, everyone plays the melody other than the bass instruments. To my mind, it is bland and uninspiring.

There were also some other changes. The original went, "let's cheer the green and white..." The new version goes, "let's cheer the green and let's cheer the white". Oddly, the official words were never updated to reflect the change in the music.

If anyone can direct me to a site that will allow me to share large files with the forum, I'll be happy to post the original fight song as well as a few other tunes from the McAdow days. I think you would enjoy them.

• Upvote 2

LETS GIV A CHEER

Happy New Year. I hope you're warm. I appreciate your comments concerning the Fight Song. I'd like to hear both versions if you're able to post them here.

song

I really don't like the "om pa pa" version of the Fight Song and the "slowed down" version. I'm sure there would be a riot in Austin or College Station if "Texas Fight" or the "Aggie Battle Hymn" were played any way other than the way they were written. (I know we're not Texas or A&M)

Happy, healthy, prosperous New Year Mean Green Nation

GO MEAN GREEN

Leave it to North Texas to allow someone to alter traditions so that they can leave their mark. How about doing something original instead of altering another person's work?

I would like the Fight Song played as intended and in a style that allows our musicians to "show their chops."

Leave it to North Texas to allow someone to alter traditions so that they can leave their mark. How about doing something original instead of altering another person's work?

I would like the Fight Song played as intended and in a style that allows our musicians to "show their chops."

I totally agree. It should be required that members of the Green Brigade be able to play the fight song in it's original format. And once they master that, THEN work on that years play list.

I just listened to those MP3's and personally, my thoughts are that the changes were very much needed. The old version sounds very old fashioned - complete with barbershop quartet singing in the middle of it.

I agree with Stebo on most of how this sounded, but I do like how the Fight Song sounded with the additional complexity to it.

As the parent of a Green Brigade member, 3rd year and not a music major btw, I have to say the current arrangement of the fight song is one of the best around and after hearing the "original" IMHO feel it not only pays homage to that arrangement it gives it a more exciting feel especially with the spell out. I do agree it is a challenge to keep the beat on the extra point when things go quiet and some change may be in order. With the other selections that were shared in another post (Fanfare, Grand Entry, etc.) it seems at one time the marching style was military (anyone care to confirm?) and now as a "show band" the use of traditional marches is not as prevalent. I like to hear a good march but I'll gladly leave the military marching style to A&M, although a retro show might be interesting. As a lifelong Razorback fan, relocated to Northeast Texas 6 years ago, I'm excited about the new stadium, new coaching staff, I'm proud to tell people my son attends UNT and I now own almost as much Mean Green paraphenalia as Hog gear. WPS & GMG!!!

Tradition should be protected and nurtured. My frame of reference is a pretty high standard...Notre Dame. It was always thrilling to hear the ND band play "When Irish Backs Go Marching By" knowing that they would seamlessly launch into the "Victory March" from it. I suspect that is what originally happened with our music, judging by comments from people who witnessed it.

Part of deepening the connection with the University, present students and alumni is sharing the same traditions over a long period of time. We should all fight to draw the line and not change those things which should be sacred IMHO.

I have a place in my heart for both versions, but that being said, the new version has a stronger brass presence and to me, does a better job of getting the crowd on its feet. The original version does have more intricate use of the woodwinds and as earlier said, allows the musicians to show their chops more.

Whilst watching the Rose parade I noticed that the Wisconsin Band was playing what sounded like an "abbreviated" version of their very famous fight song "On Wisconsin". While it was impressive to see the band go into "overdrive" (up tempo, high stepping) when they started playing their fight song, it was somewhat dismaying to hear the "abbreviated" version.

As I pointed out last year about the Ohio State Band, the Wisconsin band had it moments when it looked a lot like the North Texas Band of my youth....led by Maurice McAdow. But sadly, like the post-McAdow North Texas Band, they played a dumbed-down version of their fight song.

Also, like the Ohio State Band, I liked the Wisconsin unis....but not as much as the Ohio State unis.

No offense to you SilverEagle and any past or future Green Brigade member...but I listened to the Fight Song posted on the board earlier and the current version sounds MUCH better than that earlier one. I just downloaded our fight song from iTunes (NOT the McAdow era one) and just love it. For me it is a much more up tempo and bolder version. The earlier era Fight Song was sort of lifeless and dry really...

No offense to you SilverEagle and any past or future Green Brigade member...but I listened to the Fight Song posted on the board earlier and the current version sounds MUCH better than that earlier one. I just downloaded our fight song from iTunes (NOT the McAdow era one) and just love it. For me it is a much more up tempo and bolder version. The earlier era Fight Song was sort of lifeless and dry really...

Not offended. I don't know where you found a "lively" recording, but as I posted on the other thread, the fight song that was recorded by the McAdow band was a more subdued version than the very up-tempo versions that I always heard in my youth.

No offense to you, but most of the time, the current version is not that lively.

Not offended. I don't know where you found a "lively" recording, but as I posted on the other thread, the fight song that was recorded by the McAdow band was a more subdued version than the very up-tempo versions that I always heard in my youth.

No offense to you, but most of the time, the current version is not that lively.