Update Out Of Denton

Harry

If Coach Dan wants the band at the 50 yard line then that's where they need to be. Shoot, if Coach Dan wants them to sit them in my lap then I will trust his opinion even though it might be a little awkward. It's his football program so I think it's his call. Those seats are already paid for so it's not a revenue issue.

The problem is that the students are the ones who paid for those seats. Plus, I cannot find one other example of a school that puts their band at the 50 yard line. The band is going to be loud no matter where they are...so why take those seats away from rowdy students that are going to relentlessly heckle the opposing team non-stop, and put a band there that can only play when the game-play is stopped.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Band members are students, they will pay the fee just like all other students.

You are right, but as someone else said earlier, they are required to be there for their degree. It is nothing aginst the band, they are great, but they are so loud that there is not reason they need to be on the 50. Instead we could have rowdy as heck students there making all kinds of noise right behind the opponent bench. The band should go around the 20 yard line, just like they were at Fouts.

Count me in the crowd that wants to piss off the opposing team and make it as difficult as humanly possible for them to communicate or be comfortable in our home stadium.

Putting the band directly behind them is F'ing genius. I can envision that this move could have the potential to finally push our band over the edge to finally being a great college football band. It'll be that much easier for them to see the impact that they actually have on the game....hopefully that translates into them playing louder and more often.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Are you guys really arguing about where to put the band???

I think we should be focusing on getting the students to fill the stands first and then we can discuss the band situation... :goodjob:

Silence! There shall be no common sense used on this board.

• Upvote 1

I love the idea of the tunnel underneath the video board. As much as I absolutely hate Texas University I think their run out tunnel under their giant video board is pretty badass. I think ours will be a scaled down version of that with the potential to be just as badass in the future. That is one of the main reasons I'm on board with having the screen in front of the AC, it creates more pagentry and a better atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of putting the band on the 50 yd line lower bowl to make it loud behind the opponent's bench. Students can still sit on the 50 in the upper bowl on that side.

I don't know how it will be at the new stadium but have you ever tried to sit behind the band at Fouts? All you can see are fat guys standing on the benches holding their tubas. You probably have to sit 8 or 9 rows back to even see the field. I agree that this real estate should be reserved for the students that show up early. I watched a video at the Univ of Iowa and once they open the gates the students come pouring in to get the best seat. I am sure that students that want to get that good of a seat will give the other team plenty of noise, plus it gives them a reason to get there early.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don't know how it will be at the new stadium but have you ever tried to sit behind the band at Fouts? All you can see are fat guys standing on the benches holding their tubas. You probably have to sit 8 or 9 rows back to even see the field. I agree that this real estate should be reserved for the students that show up early. I watched a video at the Univ of Iowa and once they open the gates the students come pouring in to get the best seat. I am sure that students that want to get that good of a seat will give the other team plenty of noise, plus it gives them a reason to get there early.

And when we have a enough of those students.... Students who are willing to leave Th tailgating arena, and be that rowdy proud amd loud presence, thanks mark Cuban, then we move the band away. I love the student support that we have seen recently but it isn't that rabid fan base that you seem to be envisioning. Until we have that, I like the idea of the band being right there blasting trumpets into the skulls of those who oppose us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like that idea...Alumni have their place in the Alumni Pavilion, it would make a neat Walk of Fame kind of deal... But typically the paver sales, are for revenue generation, so limiting it to former players, severely limits your total revenue.

Maybe reserve a portion of the walkway for former players?

The pavers could still be revenue generators. I would spot Mean Joe or Abner or Ken or JaQuay or Booger...etc. a few bucks in their name to see them on the walk. Alumni (like me) should have our names in the pavillion if we want. I think that walk to the field is VERY special and should have the names of former great football players on it. JMO.

I don't know how it will be at the new stadium but have you ever tried to sit behind the band at Fouts? All you can see are fat guys standing on the benches holding their tubas. You probably have to sit 8 or 9 rows back to even see the field.

The upper bowl is designed to see over people standing below, both on the walkway or in the lower bowl.

• Downvote 1

And when we have a enough of those students.... Students who are willing to leave Th tailgating arena, and be that rowdy proud amd loud presence, thanks mark Cuban, then we move the band away. I love the student support that we have seen recently but it isn't that rabid fan base that you seem to be envisioning. Until we have that, I like the idea of the band being right there blasting trumpets into the skulls of those who oppose us.

I see your point and agree....but I think with the introduction of the new stadium we will see a completely new devotion from our student body. It's hard to get excited and want to rush in to get a seat 40 yards from the field. I guess we will have to see but I think we will have a pretty large student turnout with the new stadium.

• Upvote 1

On the scoreboard issue that has come up on the gmg board: I am understanding there will be 2 large speaker towers and a giant video screen attached to them. This will be right in the middle where the players will run out. They will build a cover between the AC and the board to create more of a run out the tunnel feel. The structures they are building on the side in front of the AC are for advertising. Don't get bogged down or worried about the planning behind this, they have a lot of good people working on this process. You will be pleased with the result.

Unless you want to use the Athletic Center patio as the new deck. There's not much reason for the bottom of the scoreboard to be a story and a half off the ground. It is possible the scoreboard could block the view of the field from the patio.

I haven't been on the patio since they started building the structure that has been said to house advertising so I don't have any idea how tall they really are nor whether they would obstruct the view of the field from the patio. And some people still want to use the patio as some sort of consolation prize if they don't want to pay for the luxury of the Club level?

:notfair:

Edited by UNTFan23