New North Texas Uniforms

wardly

How can anyone not like black? It looks sharp! Yes I know, I know, its not an official color. Teams have black on their uniforms all the time even though its not their official color. 817Fan, that looks awesome. I think it'd be a great alternate jersey. However, our new uniforms are much simpler. Maybe in the future we can have one like that to accompany our new ones?!

I don't dislike the black, I just don't think it should so prominent when our colors are green and white. The uniform he/she created is nice looking, but again, I just prefer green and white in a traditional design.

This uniform is a Nike Combat uniform in the design stage. It is supposed to be rolled out this year for the NY Jets. All I did was clone out the Jets logos & replace with UNT logos in Photoshop. I thought it looked Mean as hell, although the black helmet is a little too much black. It would still look great with a green lid. A carbon gray helmet or a flat black helmet would look sharp, but just not appropriate imo.

nikeuni.jpg

Because of past history, black North Texas uniforms will always leave a bad taste in our mouths.

unt-mean-green-black-jersey.jpg

At some point we're gonna have to just forget that game. Until that time, we're not letting go.

never-let-go.jpg

• Upvote 2

At some point we're gonna have to just forget that game. Until that time, we're not letting go.

never-let-go.jpg

One might could say this about a lot of the past grievances so many of our Mean Green Nation members seem to hold on to and let continue to fester for years and years! There comes a time when it's just more fun and a lot less stressful to let bygones be bygones and get on with having some fun.

One might could say this about a lot of the past grievances so many of our Mean Green Nation members seem to hold on to and let continue to fester for years and years! There comes a time when it's just more fun and a lot less stressful to let bygones be bygones and get on with having some fun.

FIRE TODD DODGE!!! :growl:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did you know we almost beat Texas in '88?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i would love a return to the green helmet. the further removed from the southlake carroll knock-offs we had under todd dodge, the better. i loved the uniforms they had right before they changed them when dodge took over. the only thing i would want to keep from the dodge era is the shift to kelly green instead of the previous forest green. with all of this in mind though, i'd REALLY like for them to just pick a uniform look and stick to it.

whatever they do, i really hope they keep the black to a minimum. it's okay as trim and outlines, but if they ever unveil an all black uniform, i'm turning in my sanity card. i hate that so many teams are shoving black down everyone's throats by needlessly shoe-horning it into their uniforms (i.e. washington, florida state, virginia tech). it doesn't look tough, it looks stupid. it looks very "here and now". in fact, i'm personally getting REALLY tired of so many college football programs tricking up their uniforms constantly (i'm looking at you, oregon). it's truly dizzying to try to keep up with. nike is ruining college football uniforms one program at a time.

when are they going to get it through their heads that the best uniforms in all sports are the ones that rarely, if ever change (and when and/or if they do, it's usually very subtle)?

football: UT, OU, TAMU, USC, UCLA, nebraska, penn state, wisconsin, michigan, ohio state, alabama, auburn, LSU, georgia, notre dame, dallas cowboys, pittsburgh steelers, chicago bears, new orleans saints, oakland raiders, kansas city chiefs, green bay packers, indianapolis colts, cleveland browns.

baseball: new york yankees, detroit tigers, atlanta braves, st. louis cardinals, LA dodgers, SF giants, boston red sox, chicago cubs, baltimore orioles.

basketball: boston celtics, LA lakers, chicago bulls.

hockey: chicago blackhawks, detroit redwings, new york rangers, boston bruins, toronto maple leafs, pittsburgh penguins, motreal canadiens, philadelphis flyers.

the one thing that most of these franchises/programs have in common is that they are some of the most storied, tradition-rich in their respective sports. tradition is more intimidating than a "tough" looking uniform any day. you know you've done it right if you design a uniform that still looks good 50 years from now.

talked to athletic marketing department while i was in denton selection my seats. uniforms will be kelly green with "north texas " on jersey. helment will also be kelly green with " north texas" on sides. we will, in fact, be "mean green". don't know about "patches" on jersey. fyi, ward

• Upvote 2

i would love a return to the green helmet. the further removed from the southlake carroll knock-offs we had under todd dodge, the better. i loved the uniforms they had right before they changed them when dodge took over. the only thing i would want to keep from the dodge era is the shift to kelly green instead of the previous forest green. with all of this in mind though, i'd REALLY like for them to just pick a uniform look and stick to it.

whatever they do, i really hope they keep the black to a minimum. it's okay as trim and outlines, but if they ever unveil an all black uniform, i'm turning in my sanity card. i hate that so many teams are shoving black down everyone's throats by needlessly shoe-horning it into their uniforms (i.e. washington, florida state, virginia tech). it doesn't look tough, it looks stupid. it looks very "here and now". in fact, i'm personally getting REALLY tired of so many college football programs tricking up their uniforms constantly (i'm looking at you, oregon). it's truly dizzying to try to keep up with. nike is ruining college football uniforms one program at a time.

when are they going to get it through their heads that the best uniforms in all sports are the ones that rarely, if ever change (and when and/or if they do, it's usually very subtle)?

football: UT, OU, TAMU, USC, UCLA, nebraska, penn state, wisconsin, michigan, ohio state, alabama, auburn, LSU, georgia, notre dame, dallas cowboys, pittsburgh steelers, chicago bears, new orleans saints, oakland raiders, kansas city chiefs, green bay packers, indianapolis colts, cleveland browns.

baseball: new york yankees, detroit tigers, atlanta braves, st. louis cardinals, LA dodgers, SF giants, boston red sox, chicago cubs, baltimore orioles.

basketball: boston celtics, LA lakers, chicago bulls.

hockey: chicago blackhawks, detroit redwings, new york rangers, boston bruins, toronto maple leafs, pittsburgh penguins, motreal canadiens, philadelphis flyers.

the one thing that most of these franchises/programs have in common is that they are some of the most storied, tradition-rich in their respective sports. tradition is more intimidating than a "tough" looking uniform any day. you know you've done it right if you design a uniform that still looks good 50 years from now.

Yeah I really loved those uniforms prior to the Dodge era that were made by the one and only New Balance. What a great brand....psshhhh those uniforms sucked with the numbers that were gigantic. If you want consistency so bad in the uniform dept. of north texas then leave the uniforms alone, period! I get it, nobody wants any connection to the Dodge era but in all reality our uniforms were not the problem, it was the product on the field. And for what it's worth, most uniforms probably resemble some high school uniform somewhere in the country so who cares.

helment will also be kelly green with " north texas" on sides.

It's worked so well thus far. Who out there doesn't know North Texas?

If there's anything even more consistent at the school than changing everything, it's leaving the terrible things the same.

I'm going to expound a little bit, because this is f'ing ridiculous and it's starting to piss me off how ignorant our AD is being about this.

The most common question I receive outside the state, inside Texas, and in DFW is why I support the Philadelphia Eagles when I wear an NT hat. Great. I have to explain to them it's North Texas, to which the response everywhere except DFW is, "who?"

Ok, so then the eagle logo is off limits, because no one recognizes it. So now you're trying to sell merchandise with just "North Texas" or "UNT" on it. No one wants that, sorry. That's one of the reasons (beyond the multitude of other inept decisions and lack of effort) that our merchandise doesn't sell. You have the UT-Austin Longhorn, SMU Pony, TCU Horned Frog, and North Texas North Texas. Yeah, it looks stupid, and even if other schools in other areas of the country get away with spelling out their name, truth is in Texas you either have a logo, interlocked letters, or both.

So until the SOW makes regular appearances on TV in games and score recaps, no one knows what it is. No one wants to buy the gear that just says "North Texas" because, $150,000 font and all, it looks like something that could easily say "Lewisville High School" and no one would think anything of it.

RV is flat out wrong on this, and I think it's time that someone else steps in (Rawlins?) and puts their foot down on the branding. I'm tired of this bush league BS, and I'm tired of the athletic department not being able to get their message beyond Eagle Dr.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 7

I don't see why everyone hates the North Texas on the helmet. I'd prefer to have the SOW but I can understand the point of having the name on there. When occasional highlights on national shows are shown of us or against us it's nice to have our name on there. At least right now when no one would recognize the SOW.

Now, in 4 years when our basketball team has brought us attention and our football team is in bowl games again we may be ready to roll with the SOW.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1