New North Texas Uniforms

wardly

Since not enough people have posted on this topic, I feel compelled to offer some guiding principles.

I personally like the color combination bright green and black, but that is not North Texas. There should not be black accents or black stripes etc but if needed for an outline OK. Otherwise all green and white.

All athletic branding should aggressively focus on the current eagle logo, the full one not the head alone.

The eagle should be a green eagle whenever possible, not white. The eagle represents NT and its people. We are the Mean Green, not the Mean White.

The 70s flying worm belongs in the 70s. If we had stayed with it up to now there would be no discussion but its tenure was brief and now there should be long-term commitment to the current logo which is excellent.

Other than the colors green and white I am not too concerned what they put on the shirts and pants. What matters is what is on the helmet. Let's follow Texas' lead on this and put just our symbol, not any letters, on the helmet.

If there is effectively a way to have a green eagle outlined on a green helmet and have it clearly recognizable, that would be best, otherwise, green eagle on a white helmet, no stripes.

The green eagle logo is awesome. If displayed enough, the people of the region will rally around it. The University of North Texas needs to essentially take over the North Texas region in that regard, with the symbol, not the words 'North Texas'. The association with the region will happen by itself if the symbol is all over the region. (Stickers, flags, magnets, posters and billboards needed.) The helmet is a strong way to connect with that recognition. Once people realize they are stuck with the presence of the symbol and its association with the region and thus themselves, they will start to care if the teams it stands for are good. When they care, they will contribute.

One might ask if that is a valid thing to create. I think it is, I don't think it's fair that the people of the North Texas region are not as well represented in the arena of college athletics as they should be. Sure, TCU has an incredible team, but they do not represent the huge majority of people of the region and they never will.

In sum, full green eagle logo on helmet.

I have to say....I agree with everything in this post. I have been on or around the UNT campus since 1990, and consistency is the one thing we are lacking in our marketing. (apart from dollars)

Green and White, New Eagle Logo (SOW) and lots of it.

I love the SOW logo but it is exactly the wrong shape to fit on a football helmet. The chinstrap lands right on the eagle's head.

I would like to see a version with just the SOW wings, HUGE. Kinda like the (barf) Philadelphia Eagles.

I love the wing stripes someone posted for the sides of the pants.

My 2-cent bullet list of uniform requirements:

Green helmet

all green at home

all white on the road

no bra strap stripes on the jersey

Need some Flying Worm throwback uni's for special occasions.

I love the SOW logo but it is exactly the wrong shape to fit on a football helmet. The chinstrap lands right on the eagle's head.

I would like to see a version with just the SOW wings, HUGE. Kinda like the (barf) Philadelphia Eagles.

I love the wing stripes someone posted for the sides of the pants.

My 2-cent bullet list of uniform requirements:

Green helmet

all green at home

all white on the road

no bra strap stripes on the jersey

Need some Flying Worm throwback uni's for special occasions.

helmet-70eagle.png

Pollock, Smitty did a whole portfolio of these SOW helmets. The above is just one example. He does great work.

Edited by DeepGreen

helmet-45eaglegradient250.jpg

Why not this with the SOW wing only, but brought forward to the front of each helmet side similar to the Philly Eagles wing? Solves the rear view issue, and the size/covering of the eagles head at the front of the helmet.

Edited by LongJim

If we're going with Nike, it'll definately be on the ProCombat template. Here is what I put together. Took the wing lines from SOW and incorporated them into the pants stripe. Also robbed the Houston Texans numbers as the points go perfectly with our word mark. ProCombat shield on the collar also has the SOW.

UNT_ProCombat-draw.png

UNT-ProCombat-real.png

I like the North Texas except for the fact that when most TV angles show it on telecast of our games it looks like 2 blurred lines. Up close it looks good but you really have to be...up close.

The smaller SOW symbol shown elsewere on this thread is more noticeable just like the UT Longhorn symbol makes it indisputable as to what and who it represents. And (gulp) the SMU pony symbol on their helmet does the same for their school.

Main question is how long do we keep SOW until our next wave of new leadership ditch it and start over for the umpteenth time in Denton with new logos, eagles, shades of green, etc? :thumbsd:

GMG!

PS The SOW that covers the entire helmet looks too Philly'esque IMHO.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Why not this with the SOW wing only, but brought forward to the front of each helmet side similar to the Philly Eagles wing? Solves the rear view issue, and the size/covering of the eagles head at the front of the helmet.

Now that's a hell of a great idea! ;)

Edited by pollock
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1